Energy companies cite Ukraine as prices increase

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

It seems that the war in Ukraine will be impacting NH and MA residents in a big way.

My energy costs are now estimated to be about 50% of my mortgage payment.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I'm sure they will cite the Virgin Mary.

OPEC knows a recession is likely and they're trying to hedge against what may be lessened demand. Personally, I think it's just Greed.

And this may really harm Dems.

I am sorry about your higher costs.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic
Mar 11, 2004
I'm sure they will cite the Virgin Mary.

OPEC knows a recession is likely and they're trying to hedge against what may be lessened demand. Personally, I think it's just Greed.

And this may really harm Dems.

I am sorry about your higher costs.

Er, you know this is about natural gas and not crude oil, right?

Reactions: Drach

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

It seems that the war in Ukraine will be impacting NH and MA residents in a big way.

My energy costs are now estimated to be about 50% of my mortgage payment.

Yeah, well, welcome to the club!

Annual consumer price inflation for gas and electricity in the United Kingdom is forecast to soar to an average of around 80% this year,

And, interestingly, it's not really down to Brexit, or even just Ukraine. It's ultimately down to neo-liberalism and Thatcher (like almost everything that's gone wrong in this country, including Brexit).

Thatcherism has been an utter failure, albeit a very slow-burn one. It's taken a long time for every part of it to unravel.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
To be fair when other nations are trying to no longer purchase from Russia and the gas companies can make more selling overseas do you really hate them when they need the money for another dozen jets? :p

The US already produces about 50% more then Russia and the 3rd highest country, Iran, produces only about a 1/4th of what we do so clearly we are just not competitive enough for it to be used locally.

Mar 11, 2004
A lot of crude oil wells also produce natural gas that can be collected.

Which has what to do with what I posted? Most of that is literally just lit on fire and not collected so it doesn't really matter much. OPEC limiting production is not meaningfully changing what this thread is about. Hell, they'll let the natural gas burn off those wells while they don't even get the crude oil out of them. The person I responded to clearly doesn't understand what is actually being discussed or why its actually perfectly reasonable to guess that the Ukainian situation is to blame for natural gas prices going up.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

And, interestingly, it's not really down to Brexit, or even just Ukraine. It's ultimately down to neo-liberalism and Thatcher (like almost everything that's gone wrong in this country, including Brexit).

Thatcherism has been an utter failure, albeit a very slow-burn one. It's taken a long time for every part of it to unravel.

seems like a thorough write up. Fwiw, if the hike on my end is as high as expected, my electric bill is going to be between 5-6K yearly, and oil for heat is about 2-3K yearly

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
My natural gas charge per CCF went from .80 per CCF two years ago to 1.45 per CCF this month. This is in Texas. Only an increase of 55% but I expect it to continue to go up. My electric is on a co-op, we went from .10 a kwh to .15 a kwh in the same time frame.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Just got a mailer from my city (near Boston MA) with the new community aggregation prices. National grid is going to be charging 33.8c/kWh for supply on top of delivery charges. My town buys their supply with extra renewable energy for 15.3c/kWh, or 18.9c for 100% renewable. Old rate was 11.x. Delivery charge remains constant so the total increase is only about 15% for the regular tier. National grid prices are a ripoff though.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Just got a mailer from my city (near Boston MA) with the new community aggregation prices. National grid is going to be charging 33.8c/kWh for supply on top of delivery charges. My town buys their supply with extra renewable energy for 15.3c/kWh, or 18.9c for 100% renewable. Old rate was 11.x. Delivery charge remains constant so the total increase is only about 15% for the regular tier. National grid prices are a ripoff though.

Its kind of crazy that the Northeast just decided to never address its well known natural gas problem in the winter by building storage facilities. Instead opting for exposure to the spot LNG market. So every year there is now a crisis and all the generators start burning an assload of fuel oil.

Reactions: hal2kilo

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
The second reason I moved from CT to KY… energy supply and prices are unsustainable.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
The President said the same thing about Ukraine being the reason for the higher prices, why is this even new news? The answer is go electric, away from natural gas/fossil fuels. Update the insulation of your home to reduce the amount needed to heat and cool. This has been said time and time again by the administration. Updating your home in the long run will save on energy costs. I went from burning wood for heat to all electric three years ago. Updated stuff in my home and my electric bill is just slightly higher from when i burned wood for heat.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The second reason I moved from CT to KY… energy supply and prices are unsustainable.

Uhh, you make up for it in the summer. 90 days above 90 in swamp ass humidity in summers. And when I was in Kentucky in 2015 it hit -17.

Reactions: DaaQ

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I left Kentucky in 2019. I was paying an average of $90 a month for gas (was a balanced payment plan for that) and in the summer was pushing almost $250 in electric bills on a somewhat newer home.

Here in Portland, my gas is $19 a month for about 6 months of the year, electric averages around $110 and that's with EV charging and me working from home full time. Summer months electric bumps up to $150-$180 if we have a run of 100+. In winter I'm around $80-$90 for gas.

I rarely have a combined bill over $200. It's usually closer to $150 for both on a 2000 sq/ft house.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010

Could have put a bunch of solar and battery capacity on your house and then you wouldn’t have to live in Kentucky.

I’m going to pay for the 100% renewable option, won’t make that much of a difference to me with solar on my roof and heat pumps for HVAC.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
yawn worthy.

i would’ve already moved to solar on my acre hillside if money wasn’t the issue.

tell us again how non partisan you are, lulz
um, i am for being green, did you miss where i went all electric three years ago, updated my home and it just slightly raised my electric? actually saving money too, because not buying firewood, having to go cut it, and it is better for the environment. I have said it, i am in the middle, both sites are good and bad, didnt know caring about the environment was bad

ccryder

Nov 20, 2008

Over here we call it Reaganomics

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
I left Kentucky in 2019. I was paying an average of $90 a month for gas (was a balanced payment plan for that) and in the summer was pushing almost $250 in electric bills on a somewhat newer home.

Here in Portland,r my gas is $19 a month for about 6 months of the year, electric averages around $110 and that's with EV charging and me working from home full time. Summer months electric bumps up to $150-$180 if we have a run of 100+. In winter I'm around $80-$90 for gas.

I rarely have a combined bill over $200. It's usually closer to $150 for both on a 2000 sq/ft house.
i lived outside Seattle for awhile. have to agree with you on the costs. Live in Missouri now though. Winter my electric is just under $300 a month, summer is under $200 a month. But my house is 4,400 square feet. I am all electric, havent gone solar yet only because the costs vs savings isnt where it needs to be where i am to make it worthwhile. It would take me 14 years to break even. I say that because i know multiple people who havent got the incentives from the federal government yet, two of them have had to resubmit paperwork multiple times and its been 3+ years so far for them waiting on it. So i factor not getting it as part of the costs. I do know people who have gotten the incentives, flip of a coin it seems

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
The fact that Europe has so much surplus of natural gas that it's actually hit negative prices yet places will use this excuse to increase their prices should tell you something.

Reactions: Captante