Energy Bill Blocked

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
From CNN.com

When are our legislators going to learn to pass a bill that does one thing? Why on earth would anyone pile on other bills on a bill? That's a great way not to get things done. Porkbarrell anyone?

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Wow! I'm surprised they got it stopped. I think the merits of the bill stink, but IMHO, what really stinks is one party writing it without the other party's participation. And I apply that to both sides.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
An additional point: There was a guy speaking on PBS a night or so ago who was talking about grain and water. There is a relationship. His point was, as far as water and grain are concerned, we're living in a bubble economy. We're using ground water and top soil faster than it is being replaced. This model may have relevance to the energy field. I think there's no doubt that we need a sound energy policy. Unfortunately, I think that our political system, Republican or Democrat, can't resist feeding at the trough. Bubbles always pop.

For those interested, he gave a warning sign on how to know when the water-grain bubble pops.

At least the guy ought to get a plug here. I think the book is called "Plan B." I don't know who the author is.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Whitling
An additional point: There was a guy speaking on PBS a night or so ago who was talking about grain and water. There is a relationship. His point was, as far as water and grain are concerned, we're living in a bubble economy. We're using ground water and top soil faster than it is being replaced. This model may have relevance to the energy field. I think there's no doubt that we need a sound energy policy. Unfortunately, I think that our political system, Republican or Democrat, can't resist feeding at the trough. Bubbles always pop.

For those interested, he gave a warning sign on how to know when the water-grain bubble pops.

At least the guy ought to get a plug here. I think the book is called "Plan B." I don't know who the author is.

Two words...Organic farming.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Yes, I think that's a great idea but I'll bet you organic farming can't support all the people we have now, particularly if the rich people continue to eat as they do.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: miguel
From CNN.com

When are our legislators going to learn to pass a bill that does one thing? Why on earth would anyone pile on other bills on a bill? That's a great way not to get things done. Porkbarrell anyone?

I dunno, but it happens a lot. It is also why many Bills get nixed at the Presidential level, then subsequently used during campaign time to claim that candidate X(one's opponent) voted against Bill Y which addressed Subject Z, when in reality the Opponent voted aganst Bill Y because of Subject Z.1.aa.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
The MTBE provision originated in the House, where it has the strong support of Majority Leader Tom DeLay of Texas and Rep. Billy Tauzin, R-La., who led the House energy bill negotiations. Most MTBE is produced in Texas and Louisiana.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., on Sunday blamed the gridlock over energy on lawyers who are flooding the courts with lawsuits against MTBE manufacturers.
"The trial lawyers held the bill up," he said, appearing on "Fox News Sunday," arguing that the industry turned to MTBE because of "a federally mandated program to reduce (air) pollution" and should be protected.
"They were forced to create the product," said Hastert.

"A safe harbor for manufacturers of MTBE is unacceptable," said Sen. John Sununu, R-N.H., whose state has filed a lawsuit against 22 oil and chemical companies seeking damages from water contamination.

Damn Republican trial lawyers . . .

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Classic McCain quote about some of the pork in this bill:

There are also four proposals known as green bonds that will cost taxpayers $227 million to finance approximately $2 billion in private bonds. One of my favorite green bond proposals is a $150 million riverfront area in Shreveport, LA. This riverwalk has about 50 stores, a movie theater, and a bowling alley. One of the new tenants in this Louisiana riverwalk is a Hooters restaurant. Yes, my friends, an Energy bill subsidizing Hooters and polluters, probably giving new meaning to the phrase ``budget busters.'' Although I am sure there is a great deal of energy expended at Hooters, I have never been present. Perhaps something has been missing in my life.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet
Classic McCain quote about some of the pork in this bill:

There are also four proposals known as green bonds that will cost taxpayers $227 million to finance approximately $2 billion in private bonds. One of my favorite green bond proposals is a $150 million riverfront area in Shreveport, LA. This riverwalk has about 50 stores, a movie theater, and a bowling alley. One of the new tenants in this Louisiana riverwalk is a Hooters restaurant. Yes, my friends, an Energy bill subsidizing Hooters and polluters, probably giving new meaning to the phrase ``budget busters.'' Although I am sure there is a great deal of energy expended at Hooters, I have never been present. Perhaps something has been missing in my life.

Hehe, McCain misses bewbies! :D ;)

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
as far as water and grain are concerned, we're living in a bubble economy.
Is that really such a problem? World populations are supposed to peak in the near future and fall after that. Plus, mechanization of eastern europe and china should greatly increase food production. Then there's always genetic engineering.

Two words...Organic farming.
That would cause the bubble to pop since organic is less productive than industrial methods. But organic is at least sustainable and would prevent top soil washing off. But it wouldn't do anything about ground water depletion. And let me just say that ground water depeletion is only a problem because idiots are farming out west in regions that don't have a lot a rainfall every year.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
New development with the bill.

I think this will give it a better chance to pass.

CkG

Yes, minority leader Daschle even said on the floor after the last vote that removing the MTBE stuff, which wasn't in either the Senate or House versions before the conference, btw, would almost surely mean it would pass. Partly because the two Republican senators from New Hampshire voted against it specifically because this language would have retoractivley stopped New Hampshire's lawsuit about this issue.

That MTBE stuff in the proposed bill is crap, it would force taxpayers to foot the entire bill for cleaning up sites. It's typical crap from Congressman Delay.