End of Support for XP SP2 is End of an Era

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
You've still got extended support on sp3. Truthfully, xp will die when the majority of businesses stop using it, Microsoft doesn't have much to do with it.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I have to somewhat agree that Microsoft may or maybe not be able to get away with ending XP support. In my humble opinion, Vista or windows 7 have not offered anything worth having, and an up-datable clone of windows XP will soon be available from one government or another. Fuck Microsoft and its so called patient rights, Microsoft can only defy the world at its own peril. After all, Microsoft is the biggest soft ware thief on the planet already.

A Microsoft free XP SP4 update is really what Microsoft really owes us all.

World wide, a good all over the world OS is far more important for the entire world than is far more lesser the monopolist interests of Bill Gates. And that is likely to be the end bottom line. I welcome telling my Microsoft over lords, you are fired. We should all be long past sick and tired of rip off calculated Microsoft obsolesce.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I have to somewhat agree that Microsoft may or maybe not be able to get away with ending XP support. In my humble opinion, Vista or windows 7 have not offered anything worth having, and an up-datable clone of windows XP will soon be available from one government or another. Fuck Microsoft and its so called patient rights, Microsoft can only defy the world at its own peril. After all, Microsoft is the biggest soft ware thief on the planet already.

World wide, a good all over the world OS is far more important for the entire world than is far more lesser the monopolist interests of Bill Gates. And that is likely to be the end bottom line. I welcome telling my Microsoft over lords, you are fired. We should all be long past sick and tired of rip off calculated Microsoft obsolesce.

I hear you and am quite sympathetic to your sentiments, yet still don't feel that the greedy nerd uber salesman Bill Gates "owes" us anything.

I do not and will not support any "Microsoft free XP SP4" out of China or Russia, the two most likely sources.

If need be, I'll go the open source route, with honor.

As Mulder probably said, the drivers are out there!
icon12.gif

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009

As someone who has been using 7 exclusively since the rtm build was released to MSDN I have to disagree with 7 not being worth having. Improved security and stability not to mention better support for modern hardware like SSDs and processors with hyper threading are easily worth the relatively low upgrade price (7 HP 64bit is currently only $90 at newegg). Plus there are pketny of other benefits like the substantially improved interface, much better 64bit support, and DX11.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Maybe Perknose makes a valid point with, "I do not and will not support any "Microsoft free XP SP4" out of China or Russia, the two most likely sources." Even if another more likely source might be India.

But at some point Uncle Sam might decide to buy the rights to Window's XP, tighten up the code some, make it better on computer security, and win not only the good will of the world and also keep American and the English language as the gold standard for the world wide web. After all, Microsoft is not developing XP anymore.

The other point to make is that an open source OS like Linux does not sell simply because it won't run X86 code, and what is really of value, is that huge amount of
legacy code already out there that runs on only microsoft OS's. Invalidate many of those patients on X86 code or shorten them, and microsoft as a monopoly would be instant toast.

Another US option would be to use anti trust law to break microsoft Os's into a number of competing parts.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
The other point to make is that an open source OS like Linux does not sell simply because it won't run X86 code, and what is really of value, is that huge amount of
legacy code already out there that runs on only microsoft OS's. Invalidate many of those patients on X86 code or shorten them, and microsoft as a monopoly would be instant toast.

Many Linux distros are x86. If it runs on a AMD or Intel cpu (excluding XScale, Itanium, etc) it's x86.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Many Linux distros are x86. If it runs on a AMD or Intel cpu (excluding XScale, Itanium, etc) it's x86.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But those Linus distros do not run the same programs Windows runs which is the point.

The number of programs written for Linux is very tiny relative to the number of programs written for windows.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But those Linus distros do not run the same programs Windows runs which is the point.

Yes but that has nothing to do with it being x86 and everything to do with Linux being a radically different operating system from Windows.

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
I don't see why some people think that microsoft owes them anything. The #1 reason why windows is the most sucessful operating system is that microsoft does an excellent (the best) job of providing tools for developers. The operating system is very open [not source, but API wise]. They also have the best IDE.

Developers want to develop for MS because of these reasons, this is why apps are continually developed for windows products first - that, and its huge market share.

Microsoft actually does do great things for its customers and developers. If this were not the case, then there might be warrent for its critisism, but they continue to push things forward rather than stand still on their marketshare.

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Once official support for Windows XP hits EOL I can guarantee you that businesses will have dropped it. There is no way in hell that businesses are going to switch from the integrated structure that they have setup with Windows to another operating system nor are they going to continue to use one that no longer has support. That's one of the main reasons that businesses run Windows. They pay huge amounts to Microsoft to ensure that their operating systems are kept up to date. It's the same reason that they pay huge amounts for servers from the likes of Dell & HP. They're not buying them purely for the hardware, it's also for the support contracts that go with them. If they have a piece of hardware fail on a server they expect it to be fixed within 24 hours.

Insofar as the US government buying the rights to Windows XP and updating it I have to ask you one question......did you hit your head especially hard before making that post? There is no sector of the government that has the capability to maintain & update a complex operating system like Windows XP.

It's time to let XP die folks and move on to a modern operating system.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

Sooner XP dies the better,I disagree with what Vista and especially Win7 has to offer over XP,XP has had more then a good run so time to lay old XP to rest.

We all know operating systems come and go and nobody here can say that XP has not had more then its fair share of innings.

Personally I laid XP to rest a few years ago and have not looked back.

Bye bye XP you were a decent OS in your time but there are superior/younger operating systems out there.

Last edited:

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Once official support for Windows XP hits EOL I can guarantee you that businesses will have dropped it. There is no way in hell that businesses are going to switch from the integrated structure that they have setup with Windows to another operating system nor are they going to continue to use one that no longer has support.
Microsoft has committed to Extended Support for Windows XP until April 2014. Until that time, customers will still get critical security patches delivered for free and will be able to get paid incident phone and web support. Windows Updates support and Get Genuine support should also remain free.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/windows/what-microsofts-extended-xp-support-means-it-267

There's ten years of XP boxes out there in daily use and I don't think they are going to all disappear in a year or two. Especially when companies have maybe 20% of the IT budget they had four years ago.

Last edited:

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

The number of programs written for Linux is very tiny relative to the number of programs written for windows.

That is completely different than your original point, when you said that most Linux distros won't run X86 code, which really doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Once official support for Windows XP hits EOL I can guarantee you that businesses will have dropped it. There is no way in hell that businesses are going to switch from the integrated structure that they have setup with Windows to another operating system nor are they going to continue to use one that no longer has support. That's one of the main reasons that businesses run Windows. They pay huge amounts to Microsoft to ensure that their operating systems are kept up to date. It's the same reason that they pay huge amounts for servers from the likes of Dell & HP. They're not buying them purely for the hardware, it's also for the support contracts that go with them. If they have a piece of hardware fail on a server they expect it to be fixed within 24 hours.

Insofar as the US government buying the rights to Windows XP and updating it I have to ask you one question......did you hit your head especially hard before making that post? There is no sector of the government that has the capability to maintain & update a complex operating system like Windows XP.

It's time to let XP die folks and move on to a modern operating system.

Although I agree with your sentiments about it being time to move on from Windows XP, I don't think that businesses will switch even when EOL comes officially. I cannot count how many NT4 installations that I saw in the wild (both point of sale systems and even some hospital servers) even after windows 2000 had reached the end of official support.

Matt_Stevens

Dec 17, 2009
For me, Vista was a nightmare. I despised it, how slow it ran and how unstable it seemed. Worse, it was difficult to get it looking like the older, Classic Desktop I am familiar with and enjoy using. Went back to XP with SP3 and have been happy ever since. I'll not switch until I am forced to.

Only other way I'll upgrade is if I were to buy a new, insanely powerful system. That will happen eventually, but not any time soon as I am not a gamer. Don't have the time for that anymore.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I welcome telling my Microsoft over lords, you are fired. We should all be long past sick and tired of rip off calculated Microsoft obsolesce.

It's hard for any company to support anything forever in a changing market.

I've gotten a few emails on this about "should I upgrade to Win 7?"...my answer is yes if you can afford it and your hardware/software is supported.

Unfortunately some of my hardware is not and I see no need to upgrade. Most of the people emailing me ran the compatibility tool and found their older machines aren't all fully supported either.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Sooner XP dies the better,I disagree with what Vista and especially Win7 has to offer over XP,XP has had more then a good run so time to lay old XP to rest.

We all know operating systems come and go and nobody here can say that XP has not had more then its fair share of innings.

Personally I laid XP to rest a few years ago and have not looked back.

Bye bye XP you were a decent OS in your time but there are superior/younger operating systems out there.

Disagree. You seem oddly over-enthusiastic about wanting everyone else to join you - not seeking reassurance in numbers are you?

Have several XP machines (SP3), they work fine and do what I want them to do. I'm sure there will continue to be a gradual move to win7, as people buy new machines (as I don't see anything _wrong_ with 7), but I fail to see why its so important to endure the expense and sheer hassle of upgrading for its own sake.

I guess the main thing that will eventually drive me to 7 will be the need for more RAM than 32 bit OS can handle - there really doesn't seem any point upgrading to 64 bit XP, that's for sure, so at that point 7, 64 bit, will obviously be the way to go.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
QFT...

Win 7 > XP >>>>>>>>>>>> Vista. Hell I'd probably put ME in front of Vista.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Just please release XP SP4 that forces an upgrade to the latest versions of IE, WMP and the .NET framework. Let us get everyone on the same page here. But, I am sure IT managers would really hate that.