Enabling UDMA for cdrom in win2k

nilanjan

Aug 15, 2000
Does anyone know how to set Ultra DMA mode in win2k for Cd rom in the registry settings? My CD and DVD rom shows that they are in DMA mode.

Basie

Feb 11, 2001
The 7-19-00 Win2000 Registry ©Trick in TIPS2000.TXT, part of W95-11D.ZIP <95.htm>:
UDMA/66 ALL THE WAY

This Registry tweak works ONLY on Windows 2000 systems, NOT on Windows NT.
This Ars Technica page <http://www.arstechnica.com/tweak/nt/udma.html> details how to enable the UDMA setting in Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 5 (SP5) installed.
If you have any ATA/66 (UDMA/66), or even better, any newer ATA/100 (UDMA/100) EIDE hard disk(s) properly connected (using a good quality 80 conductor IDE DMA66 ribbon cable) to the UltraDMA/66 (or UltraDMA/100) EIDE controller in your computer, it is strongly recommended to enable this setting, to take full advantage of the faster transfer rates these drives are capable of, which are (theoretically) close to 66.66 MB/second (100 MB/second respectively).
You must be logged on as Administrator to be able to do all this.
This option is disabled by default in all Win2000 releases, no matter what (Intel X86 platform) controller/chipset you have.
Note that this setting is NOT activated just by enabling the DMA item from: right-click on your My Computer icon -> click Properties -> Hardware tab -> Device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers item -> select Primary and/or Secondary IDE Channel Properties -> click Advanced Settings tab -> look under Transfer Mode for the &quot;DMA if available&quot; setting (you must also have &quot;Ultra DMA Mode&quot; active under Current Transfer Mode for this to work). Then you need to repeat these steps for ALL your other IDE Devices (drives) found here, numbered this way: Device 0, Device 1, etc. If you only have one IDE Device, select &quot;None&quot; for all others to decrease bootup time. Now reboot when done, so the change(s) can take effect.
To activate the ATA/66 (UDMA/66) setting, you need to run Regedit (or Regedt32) and go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000
If using Regedt32 uncheck &quot;Read Only Mode&quot; in the Options menu.
Note that the &quot;0000&quot; key above might show as &quot;0001&quot;, &quot;0002&quot; or &quot;0003&quot; on your machine, depending on your particular hardware settings. Select the key appropriate to your case.
Right-click to create a new DWORD [REG_DWORD] Value, call it &quot;EnableUDMA66&quot; (no quotes), and type 1 in the Decimal box to enable ATA/66 (UDMA/66) support. To disable it, change the Decimal value to 0, or delete the &quot;EnableUDMA66&quot; Value altogether.
Reboot when done.
A MUST: To properly enable the UDMA/66 setting, you need to have your ATA/66 (or ATA/100) capable drive(s) hooked up to a different IDE channel than the one your older (E)IDE (even if UDMA/33 capable) drive(s) are connected to!
FYI: More info @ MSKB:
· &quot;DMA-Capable ATAPI Device Driver for Windows NT <http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q182/5/32.asp>&quot; (and Windows 2000).
· &quot;Enabling UDMA66 Mode on Intel Chipsets <http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q247/9/51.asp>&quot;.

You can try this also Basie

inqztive

Nov 25, 2000
okay here is the problem. My 2 hard drive is working in UDMA mode but my to other cd/dvd rom drives (on secondary) working only in DMA mode. I can't seem to get it to work in UDMA mode. (they both are UDMA 33). No matter what i do (Like swapping the IDE channel) My hard drives remain in UDMA mode and CDROM remain in DMA mode. If i put my CDroms to primary the primary goes to DMA mode from UDMA mode. So was think that must be an OS thing and there is some registry setting in win2k that enable the UDMA for the seconady master and slave. How do i do that?