Enabling FSAA on my GF4 causes IQ errors???

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Just noticed this while playing both counterstrike and MOHAA, that when i enable FSAA (currently at 2X), there are weird errors on the ground that i can see from far away but disappear when i get up close. In MOHAA on the snow forest level there are lines on the ground that aren't connected, kinda like the GTA3 IQ errors. What gives? when i disable FSAA they go away. I'm running the latest 30.30's as well. I've noticed this with all detonators from 29.42 on.

zsouthboy

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2001
Yup.. I noticed the same thing playing Unreal Tournament..... enabling AA causes z-buffer errors(well, it at least appears to be z-buffer errors) so you can "see" through some walls....

It only happens in the games we've mentioned though, I enable it just fine in JK2 and serious sam 2, no z-buffer errors....

has nVidia recognized this as a problem yet is the question.....

zs

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the errors only appear far off in the viewport, I only notice them in UT when using the sniper rifle

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
Originally posted by: zsouthboy
Yup.. I noticed the same thing playing Unreal Tournament..... enabling AA causes z-buffer errors(well, it at least appears to be z-buffer errors) so you can "see" through some walls....

It only happens in the games we've mentioned though, I enable it just fine in JK2 and serious sam 2, no z-buffer errors....

zs

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the errors only appear far off in the viewport, I only notice them in UT when using the sniper rifle

UT is very well known for it's graphical errors which are present on a wide range of video cards with AA enabled or not.

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net
Originally posted by: Sudheer Anne
Just noticed this while playing both counterstrike and MOHAA, that when i enable FSAA (currently at 2X), there are weird errors on the ground that i can see from far away but disappear when i get up close. In MOHAA on the snow forest level there are lines on the ground that aren't connected, kinda like the GTA3 IQ errors. What gives? when i disable FSAA they go away. I'm running the latest 30.30's as well. I've noticed this with all detonators from 29.42 on.

can you supply screenshots of the IQ errors? I have GTA3 and havn't noticed any problems at all.

zsouthboy

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: nemesismk2
Originally posted by: zsouthboy

zs

UT is very well known for it's graphical errors which are present on a wide range of video cards with AA enabled or not.

My radeon didn't have the graphical errors.

My comp is down right now(need a new cpu, anyone want to donate? :)).... as soon as it's back up, I'll take a screenie(or I will have promptly forgotten about this thread by then, so it doesn't matter:))

zs

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
ok were not talking about a Radeon anything here you morons. Read the title PLEASE. sorry for being so rude, but people really need to read the topics before posting. Anyways, GTA 3 is full of graphical mishaps and errors, and that's with or without AA. I have the screenshots, but i do not know how i can get them hosted or where i can post them. Can someone help me out?

zsouthboy

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Sudheer Anne
ok were not talking about a Radeon anything here you morons. Read the title PLEASE. sorry for being so rude, but people really need to read the topics before posting. Anyways, GTA 3 is full of graphical mishaps and errors, and that's with or without AA. I have the screenshots, but i do not know how i can get them hosted or where i can post them. Can someone help me out?

You do realize that GTA is extremely buggy, right? no current video card runs that game well, because it is a crappy port of the PS2 version.... however I'm not dissing the game, as it's one of my favorites.

zs

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I don't know if this is related to your problems but I do know that all of nVidia's current drivers have Z-buffering issues in a wide range of games. I don't know if it's the drivers or if it's a hardware problem with the GF4 core.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
i'm certain it's a hardware error. The gf3 had these same errors as well. It's only noticeable with FSAA on.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I didn't have any Z issues with my GF3 using identical drivers which is why I suspect the GF4's problems might be hardware related.

I can't help you with FSAA because the odd times that I do use it I don't notice any problems with it. Does Quincunx exhibit the same problems for you?

Oct 16, 1999
I'm getting some problems in UT as well. I will get a short vertical line to the right of the mouse cursor sometimes, and similar lines around the health readout in the hud. These are the only places where I am seeing problems that didn't exist all the way back to my Voodoo2 days, and these are ONLY occurring with FSAA enabled (any setting) in both OGL & D3D with both 29.42 & 30.30 drivers.