Enable TX Burst?

gba

Apr 1, 2002
I am running a WiFi card based on the Ralink RaConfig2500 Chipset. There is an option to enable "Tx Burst." Does anyone know exactly what that does?

Thanks...

Bozo Galora

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 1999
From the 802.11 standards page:

802.11b cards can operate at 11 Mbit/s, but will scale back to 5.5, then 2, then 1 Mbit/s, if signal quality becomes an issue. Since the lower data rates use less complex and more redundant methods of encoding the data, they are less susceptible to corruption due to interference and signal attenuation. Extensions have been made to the 802.11b protocol (e.g., channel bonding and burst transmission techniques) in order to increase speed to 22, 33, and 44 Mbit/s, but the extensions are proprietary and have not been endorsed by the IEEE. Many companies call enhanced versions "802.11b+". These extensions have been largely obviated by the development of 802.11g, which has data rates up to 54 Mbit/s and is backwards-compatible with 802.11b.

In other words. It allows the card to deliver better throughput in the same period and environment. This depends on both the card and router support of this as well.

Tx Power should be set to 100 percent. You would only want to lower this if your card was so close and maybe bleeding into another Wireless AP.

Tx Rate
There are several options including Auto/1/2/5.5/11/6/9/12/18/24/36/48/54Mbps for you to select. When the ?Auto? is selected, the device will choose the most suitable transmission rate automatically. The higher data rate you designated in the network, the shorter distance is allowed between the card and the wireless stations. When the wireless mode is ?802.11 B only?, the maximum data rate is 11Mbps (11b) so that there are only ?Auto/1/2/5.5/11Mbps?options you can select.

Tx BURST
Tx Burst enables the card to deliver the better throughput in the same period and environment.

Gee, I wonder if this should go into networking forum. hmmm

gba

Apr 1, 2002
Wow thanks a lot... That certainly clears things up for me.. Yes, I gues I did choose the wrong forum.... hmmmmm lol...