Employees with kids get to take time off more often...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Originally posted by: CorCentral
Originally posted by: Xavier434
Until you have kids yourself, stfu.

Having your own kids helps you realize that there are some things more important than work and it also shows you how much less free time you can have in your life overnight just by having one child. Your supervisor obviously understands that. Granted, this also means he has an influence deciding what should be and shouldn't important enough in your life by choosing where to place pressure when granting time off. I do not necessarily agree with that, but don't be pissed at the employees who have children that are getting the time off. It's not their fault. Their kids are much happier that their parents are able to spend time with them during these events which mean so much to them.

Would you rather see those parents be forced to tell their kids that they cannot make it to these things and disappoint them? Stop being so damn selfish. You'll be thankful when the day comes that you have kids and want to ask for that time off.

You can suck a duck's cokc!!!!!
I don't care what anyone in this thread says........ People with kids get more time off with no questions asked!

Throw some more BS! I'll respond!

If you have no kids you have no right???? Up yours! I am WORKING more than you but "YOU" get to take time off with no penalty================ BS FUCK!

Dude, take a chill pill.

I'm a loner that's fine. But I am right.

Why did you choose a duck's cock?

Why not Rhino or Elephant? This perplexes me.

What he really meant to say was that you could suck his cock. It was a Freudian slip, as people tend to relate/gravitate toward things closer in size to their own, hence the duck cock reference. I guess you could say that he's hung like a duck.

Ah :light:

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001

Having your own kids helps you realize that there are some things more important than work and it also shows you how much less free time you can have in your life overnight just by having one child. Your supervisor obviously understands that. Granted, this also means he has an influence deciding what should be and shouldn't important enough in your life by choosing where to place pressure when granting time off. I do not necessarily agree with that, but don't be pissed at the employees who have children that are getting the time off. It's not their fault. Their kids are much happier that their parents are able to spend time with them during these events which mean so much to them.

Would you rather see those parents be forced to tell their kids that they cannot make it to these things and disappoint them? Stop being so damn selfish. You'll be thankful when the day comes that you have kids and want to ask for that time off.

I don't care what anyone in this thread says........ People with kids get more time off with no questions asked!

If you have no kids you have no right???? Up yours! I am WORKING more than you but "YOU" get to take time off with no penalty================ BS FUCK!

Dude, take a chill pill.

What he really meant to say was that you could suck his cock. It was a Freudian slip, as people tend to relate/gravitate toward things closer in size to their own, hence the duck cock reference. I guess you could say that he's hung like a duck.

Cocks are cocks........BUT You relaying of RossMan like that .......... you're a pussy!
It would be nice if you had your own argument but you have to feed off the crap from Rossman!

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001

Dude, take a chill pill.

Ah :light:

EDIT: You really are a piece of work **LOL**

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Dude, take a chill pill.

Cocks are cocks........BUT You relaying of RossMan like that .......... you're a pussy!
It would be nice if you had your own argument but you have to feed off the crap from Rossman!

That makes no sense whatsoever. Congrats on the least coherent post of the day.

BTW-I stated my argument in an earlier post but I guess you were too busy thinking up the insult "duck cock" to read it.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Where are the mods? I got banned for a hell of a lot less than what CorCentral is doing. Though, I am enjoying the verbal thrashing he's getting.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: jandrews
Originally posted by: piasabird
Children are our future. Adults without children are just childish selfish children taking up space in the workplace with no meaningful purpose in life. Guys you need to get a grip. Try paying for college.

Single people are always coming in with hangovers. I think overall you will find that married people with children are less likely to be mobile and to want to move from job to job. They make better employees because they do not want to uproot their children, and take them out of school to move to another job.

Of course if you are a narcissistic spoiled rich kid you will never get it.

This is a laughably absurd comment! If anything it is the people with children who are selfish. You want children for whatever reason (to carry on your family line, someone to take care of etc) for your own selfish purposes. Anyone with a house payment has similar interests in keeping their job. Also, what good is a pissed off adult that hates their job but only stays their because of their children? That typically equates to a pretty terrible employee. Get off your high horse and get under the wagon where you belong. Kids are everywhere, they take no skill to make and the biggest idiot in the world can raise them.

edit: and thank you for letting us know what dictates a meaningful or unmeaningful existence, I was so confused before you came to enlighten us your highness.

being gay, I do kind of identify with what you're saying, though it sounds like you're taking a long ride on the whammbulance :p

it seems as if there's a presumption as if people with kids time is more valuable with the childless. it's always annoyed me, as if just because it's illegal for me to adopt a kid, I somehow don't find it important to spend time with my own make-shift family.

I'm just glad it doesn't really come into effect in my current job, since the vast majority of my company is made up of single, child-free guys.

It's legal for gay couples to adopt in Alberta......

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Now we have 2 choices here..we can dump responsibility for our needs on our co-workers or we can expect people to take responsibilty for meeting
their needs on their own time.

I vote for option number 2.

Unfortunately, you are right and most jobs only offer those two choices. I faced that problem in the past. To make a long story short, I refused to conform and eventually found the wonderful job I have now. Their solution is to hire enough people to the point where it isn't a burden on the single folks when the employees with kids take those extra hours off. Sure, it's extra labor cost, but those in power here feel that life is simply better that way for everyone and they were willing to take the cut. The world would be a better place if that were the norm, but greed overcomes all....again.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Now we have 2 choices here..we can dump responsibility for our needs on our co-workers or we can expect people to take responsibilty for meeting

Unfortunately, you are right and most jobs only offer those two choices. I faced that problem in the past. To make a long story short, I refused to conform and eventually found the wonderful job I have now. Their solution is to hire enough people to the point where it isn't a burden on the single folks when the employees with kids take those extra hours off. Sure, it's extra labor cost, but those in power here feel that life is simply better that way for everyone and they were willing to take the cut. The world would be a better place if that were the norm, but greed overcomes all....again.

I'm fortunate that I work in a professional setting where my skillset is valued.I'm know for always being early to work and being willing to flex when needed so time off is usually not an issue.I do try whenever possible to schedule my appointments for my days off or to swap days with another willing co-worker. I also avoid making/taking personal calls at work unless it's an emergency.

As far as smoking goes,I smoke and have timed my breaks to the exact minute, I take far less break time than my non-smoking peers.The people who complain the loudest about smoke breaks are usually the folks who sit there with their daily planners sprawled out,on the phone for at least an hour per day handling personal matters,these same folks also take their full lunch hour.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: SacrosanctFiend
Where are the mods? I got banned for a hell of a lot less than what CorCentral is doing. Though, I am enjoying the verbal thrashing he's getting.

Mods toss coins on things. You win some you lose some.

I think the point of this thread isn't that parents sometimes need time off for their kids...we all need time off for things.

The problem is when they use up their vacation and sick/personal days and keep using the kids for more.

Like I said previously I know at least a half dozen cases that 'parent' was not doing anything with their kid that day. They just wanted a day off.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
Anybody else bothered by the fact if you have kids your employer is more likely to give you time off for things that really aren't a necessity? I know where I work, the people with kids always get to take time to go see their kids in a play or some lame graduation ceremony. Most of the time if the person has been working long days or whatever, the supervisor tells them not even to mark it down on their time sheets as they are just recouping the time they've put in but did not get pad for being on salary. Ordinarily I'd be fine with this but there's a double standard. I work just as hard as these working parents, bust my butt and work long days. I asked the same supervisor to leave two hours early to go finish Christmas shopping the Friday before Christmas and he tells me no, I could take a half day of vacation but that's it. Man was I cheesed. I'd been working 12 hour days trying to help get an understaffed project done on time just to get crapped on like that. Not to mention several call outs in the middle of the night requiring me to come to work to fix them and be at work by 8 the next morning. Just wow. I even mentioned this but said supervisor didn't care. Now if I had a kid and had to go on a field trip or something, that would have been acceptable.
I understand being a parent is rough. You're responsible for the welfare of another person who is absolutely dependent on you. But does that make your time any more valuable than another persons? I wouldn't think so. That sure de-motivated me from bustin' my butt for them though. Why work 12 hour days if I was never going to be reimbursed or even get a fraction of my time back? Same goes for emergency call outs in the middle of the night. Where's my motivation to answer the pages? That was the first time and the last time I ever asked for any kind of accomodation ever again. Anybody else experience things like this at their work place? This is the article that got me thinking about it.

Linky

Ok I'm done whining, your turn!

it's not those w/kids. it's your boss.

your hard work isnt appreciated. start looking for another job ASAP!!!

in the meantime, just work 40hrs a week. at 5pm on the dot, leave.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

I'm fortunate that I work in a professional setting where my skillset is valued.I'm know for always being early to work and being willing to flex when needed so time off is usually not an issue.I do try whenever possible to schedule my appointments for my days off or to swap days with another willing co-worker. I also avoid making/taking personal calls at work unless it's an emergency.

As far as smoking goes,I smoke and have timed my breaks to the exact minute, I take far less break time than my non-smoking peers.The people who complain the loudest about smoke breaks are usually the folks who sit there with their daily planners sprawled out,on the phone for at least an hour per day handling personal matters,these same folks also take their full lunch hour.

See, I'm known for honoring the commitments I make, building trust with my co-workers and taking the responsibility to make sure I do the best that I can to help the company meet its goals. Nobody is watching to see when I arrive or when I leave and I will come in on weekends or get up early and log in from home (in fact I did come in for a couple hours over Labor Day weekend so that our plant in Mexicali would be able to do transactions on Monday-a holiday they do not recognize).

Nobody gives a crap if I take or make a few personal calls during the day and I usually make one or two each day.

Some days I take an hour lunch or longer. Most days I don't. Again, nobody is micromanaging me enough to notice and quite frankly I prefer it that way.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
Anybody else bothered by the fact if you have kids your employer is more likely to give you time off for things that really aren't a necessity?

Anybody else experience things like this at their work place?
!

Nope. Find a different career, become your own boss, or get someone pregnant.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
I sincerely doubt the OP's situation is the norm. Most people get a certain amount of PTO regardless of whether they have kids or not.

In most of the situations where moms or dads DO manage to take more time off, they're also far less likely to get real high on the corporate ladder, which is the way it should be. You want to have kids, fine, don't expect to be able to keep up with someone who made their career a priority instead. Whiny feminists, looking in your direction.

In the remaining very, very rare scenario where a guy or girl takes extra time off for their kid and still manages to climb the ladder faster, well... life ain't always fair.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Agentbolt
I sincerely doubt the OP's situation is the norm. Most people get a certain amount of PTO regardless of whether they have kids or not.

In most of the situations where moms or dads DO manage to take more time off, they're also far less likely to get real high on the corporate ladder, which is the way it should be. You want to have kids, fine, don't expect to be able to keep up with someone who made their career a priority instead. Whiny feminists, looking in your direction.

In the remaining very, very rare scenario where a guy or girl takes extra time off for their kid and still manages to climb the ladder faster, well... life ain't always fair.

Government jobs ftw!

One of the few scenarios where you can have the best of both worlds and it's usually fair and square.

May 16, 2000

Actually out of the 20 some odd jobs I've had in my life only one has offered any form of personal time off. In fact, only 3 have offered any kind of sick time, comp time, pto, or any other form of paid time off. While it's pretty common in the corporate business world, it's exceptionally rare outside that.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Actually out of the 20 some odd jobs I've had in my life only one has offered any form of personal time off. In fact, only 3 have offered any kind of sick time, comp time, pto, or any other form of paid time off. While it's pretty common in the corporate business world, it's exceptionally rare outside that.

Are you kidding? About the only places I've seen that don't have paid time off are minimum wage jobs at McDonalds. Heck, I worked at a pizza shop part time, and even there I received 2 paid weeks off each year.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000

So what type of jobs were these?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
This is reality everywhere. It may not be "fair", but trust me as a single guy you have way more personal/free time than a person with kids, even if your company is not treating you fairly. When you have kids, you'll also get a break beacuse that's how it is, in part because people without kids are not ASKING for as much time. If my kids are sick and I have to go home, this is time a single or unchilded person would not have asked for.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: DrPizza

Are you kidding? About the only places I've seen that don't have paid time off are minimum wage jobs at McDonalds. Heck, I worked at a pizza shop part time, and even there I received 2 paid weeks off each year.

Oh, off the top of my head:

Courtesy Clerk, Safeway (only checkers or up got anything other than vacation, and that only after a year)
Network Technician, Stream Intl (again, only vacation, and that only after a year)
Various security jobs, including manager level positions (most offered vacation time eventually, but it was so little after so long they needn't have bothered)
Personal trainer (new company, basically no employee benefits in place)
Technical Support, Nextel (vacation after a year only, managers and supervisors earned 1 sick day a month)
House Manager, Columbia Theatre for the Performing Arts (absolutely nothing)
Stage Manager, Pepper Theatre (absolutely nothing)

A bunch of independent or self-employed positions, so obviously those give nothing. Same with my trade and/or labor positions.

Now, I didn't count the Navy initially...but I did earn days of leave like everyone else (2.5 a month)...which I suppose is a combination of vacation/sick/personal...sort of.

I should also point out that I differentiate between 'vacation' and 'paid time off'. I realize that vacation is a form of paid time off, but I generally figure most places offer full time employees some vacation eventually...though certainly not all. In my experiences the ones that gave vacations usually offered 1 week after you'd been there a year, then maybe 2 weeks after 3 or 5 years, etc. To me, paid time off is sick time, comp time, etc.

Another thing is the huge swing towards part time employees again. Part time = little to no benefits at many companies. I've run into that at least a dozen different places. "Oh we're sorry, but you're only scheduled for 31 hours a month, so you don't qualify for benefits." Or my personal fav, "Yes you work 38-40 hours a week but we currently have no full time positions available so you're still a part-timer." I currently earn a whopping 2 hours of sick/personal time a month, and 20 hours of vacation a year for working 40 hours a week thanks to this little gem. I don't really mind since I can set my own hours and it's just until school is done, but the rest of the people who work there and need it are getting shafted. This kind of thing is SUPER common and becoming more so.

ooops, meant this as a reply to the next post, not yours...sorry for the mixup.

darkamulets

Feb 21, 2002
Originally posted by: piasabird
Children are our future. Adults without children are just childish selfish children taking up space in the workplace with no meaningful purpose in life. Guys you need to get a grip. Try paying for college.

Single people are always coming in with hangovers. I think overall you will find that married people with children are less likely to be mobile and to want to move from job to job. They make better employees because they do not want to uproot their children, and take them out of school to move to another job.

Of course if you are a narcissistic spoiled rich kid you will never get it.

Thanks for making your kids our responsibilities. Also when we're stuck covering for you cause your kid has the sniffles.