Employee tardiness problem........

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
If he has tobe there at 8AM, then he must be there.

You have the otion of pay docking, suspension or termination.

He should not plan for the roommate if the roommate is not reliable.

Apparently if he takes public transportation he is able toarrive within 10-15 of the needed time; therefore, he should be moving early enough to use the public transporation earlier by one cycle, if the roommate is not going to assist.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: waggy
if its only 10 minutes. then it really depends on what kind of worker he is.

I had one guy that was always 10-30 minutes late. but he was one of hte best workers i had. there were many times he would stay 1-3 hours late to make sure stuff was done and done right. Not to mention he would work through lunch if needed.

i was willing to ignore little stuff to keep him around.

I'm on board with this attitude, but then again, it's highly situational on your work and environment.

Then again, if he's worth it, talk to him - maybe adjust his start/end times to accomodate his transportation. There's a woman here who works a shift an hour earlier than most others because it helps her with daycare - she's worth it and it doesn't negatively affect her work/workflow.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
If I was at a job that wasn't paying me enough to afford a car, and busting my b@lls for being 10 minutes late because I take the bus, I wouldn't be in a hurry to get there either.

Arcex

Mar 23, 2005
Tardiness... Tardis... sweet...

Anyway, I happen to take being on time more serious than most, if something can't be worked out with the powers that be giving him an exception or allowing him to work different hours then you will have to let him go. Like you said, you can't let the other people in the office think they can start getting away with stuff like that, first it's one person, then 2, then all of them, then MY GOD IT'S A RIOT!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
What kind of job? Is the 10 minutes really that big a problem?

it is if HR is getting riled

we are much more relaxed here, and if thats the culture, thats fine, but it sounds like the OP works somewhere where promptness is expected.
Yeah, I guess. I'd just have a hard time firing someone over 10 minutes, especially if he would be willing to cut his lunch a little short or stay later. But then again, I'm not a business person.

it really depends on his job and what kind of worker he is.

sheesh just change his hours (if possible). a good hard worker is hard to find. if he is showing up every day that helps.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So I've got a boss who always goes on these streaks of a few days of posting on ATOT.

I've talked w/ him, slacked off, told him that IS has had it, it's got to be news sites or nothing (even giving him a break).

His problems arises when he sites idle with nothing to do because his manager buddies can't find another reason for a pointless meeting.

Any suggestions??

(Don't really want to quit, but man this is getting old & makes me look bad when IS shows his browsing history)

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Not retail.

It's an office job.

As I said......I agree with a lot of folks here.........it just doesn't matter to me.

The 'smoker's break' thing is a good issue too. We have a couple new hires who smoke their brains out.......

Don't even get me started about that one.

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
the problem is this: since you have other employees, they will eventually think "if he can do it, why can't i?" or "why do i have to follow the rules if he doesn't?"
to make a long story short, one problem employee who doesn't follow the rules will eventually effect the attitude of the other employees, bringing down the whole group.

either
1. you both have an agreement that if he's late, he stays the extra time (which is generous on company's part).
or
2. tell him he's getting a day off with pay to decide if he wants to continue working there. After that, if he's late, he gets fired (and you tell him that up front).

It's not the company's problem that he doesn't get to work on time. Every time he gets away with this, he is rewarded for his irresponsible behavior by not being punished. I can't believe that he is so valuable that he can't be replaced. This guy is making you look bad, not only to the boss, but to the other employees. You lose authority and respect in the eyes of the other employees.

iroast

Golden Member
May 5, 2005
Originally posted by: db
either
1. you both have an agreement that if he's late, he stays the extra time (which is generous on company's part).
or

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: AdamK47
So I've got a boss who always goes on these streaks of a few days of posting on ATOT.

I've talked w/ him, slacked off, told him that IS has had it, it's got to be news sites or nothing (even giving him a break).

His problems arises when he sites idle with nothing to do because his manager buddies can't find another reason for a pointless meeting.

Any suggestions??

(Don't really want to quit, but man this is getting old & makes me look bad when IS shows his browsing history)

I *am* IS, IT, CEO, CFO and every other acronym you can find. Without me the work day doesn't start because the business doesn't open. Due to my 12 years running the show solo & providing the owner of the company w/ a supplemental 6 figure income, I am eligible to partnership in profits (we have an unusual agreement that earns me percentages of the company and profits) and can do whatever I please. Fair or not, I've earned it and run a morally and ethically sound business.

You would probably wish you worked for me if you could as I try hard to make certain everyone wants to come back the following day.

As for this guy's situation..........he's banged away on 3 different women (none of which he married) has kids w/ all of them and pays child support so far up the @$$ that he can't afford to pay attention.

Thus his transportation dilema.
Thus his life dilema.

Sorry to disappoint.:p

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Hehe, I'm one of those habitually late people myself. Usually arrive anywhere from 2-15 minutes late.

I could be a clock watcher if I wanted to but that would mean me not working through any lunches (usually once or twice a week) or staying late to get stuff done.

Edit: like today now apparently, no lunch for K1052

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: db
the problem is this: since you have other employees, they will eventually think "if he can do it, why can't i?" or "why do i have to follow the rules if he doesn't?"
to make a long story short, one problem employee who doesn't follow the rules will eventually effect the attitude of the other employees, bringing down the whole group.

either
or
2. tell him he's getting a day off with pay to decide if he wants to continue working there. After that, if he's late, he gets fired (and you tell him that up front).

Another issue you are going to run into is that say another employee gets canned for being constantly late; your company has set a precedent that it is ok to be late.
So, the fired person just has to point to the preferential treatment that your employee has and you have an ugly lawsuit on your hands. Backpay, wrongful termination, some random discrimination (age, gender, sex, etc.).

You need to follow whatever guidelines are in your employee handbook, or at the very least get some agreement in place in writing saying it is ok that he is late on certain days. An agreement however will rule out you ever being able to can him for being late (or pretty much for anything since he will just say the real reason is because he was constantly late).
Write him up a few more times and state clearly in the reprimand that if he is 15 minutes or more late on X amount of occassions, you reserve the right to terminate his employment per the conditions of employment outlined in the employee handbook dated (whatever date the edition was) and agreed to on (whatever date he signed the agreement form on).

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
if you are getting the heat from above, as much as this doesn't really make sense, i vote to fire the guy

his replacement might not be as good of a worker, but if the replacement is on time, well then you won't get heat from the boss

sucks, but if isn't going to play the game, he doesn't belong there

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Youse folks are spoiled. I've never worked a job where my starting time was variable. You HAD to be at work and ready to go at the set time, or you were fired. For much of my career, I drove more than an hoiur each way every day, some jobs it was more than 2 hours each way, and I still managed to be on time every day. Yes, commuting in the bay area occasionally throws some challenges at you, and ONCE in a while, some moron would so something stupid, and cause the CHP to close the freeway, and I'd be a few minutes late. When that happened, I ALWAYS called the foreman/superintendant to let them know what was going on.
I was raised with the attitude that if you're not AT LEAST 15 minutes early...you're LATE!
Since this is an office job, where it's not critical that the guy be there exactly at 8:00, MAYBE some leeway could be showed, BUT, if everyone else manages to be on time, why should this guy get special treatment?
IMO, give him a final warning, then either suspend him for a week, or fire his ass.

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
Originally posted by: redgtxdi
[

As for this guy's situation..........he's banged away on 3 different women (none of which he married) has kids w/ all of them and pays child support so far up the @$$ that he can't afford to pay attention.

Thus his life dilema.

This guy is totally irresponsible. Every time he gets away with something, it's proof to him that it's ok to do it that way, and there's no reason to change his behavior.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Youse folks are spoiled. I've never worked a job where my starting time was variable. You HAD to be at work and ready to go at the set time, or you were fired. For much of my career, I drove more than an hoiur each way every day, some jobs it was more than 2 hours each way, and I still managed to be on time every day. Yes, commuting in the bay area occasionally throws some challenges at you, and ONCE in a while, some moron would so something stupid, and cause the CHP to close the freeway, and I'd be a few minutes late. When that happened, I ALWAYS called the foreman/superintendant to let them know what was going on.
I was raised with the attitude that if you're not AT LEAST 15 minutes early...you're LATE!
Since this is an office job, where it's not critical that the guy be there exactly at 8:00, MAYBE some leeway could be showed, BUT, if everyone else manages to be on time, why should this guy get special treatment?
IMO, give him a final warning, then either suspend him for a week, or fire his ass.

"When i was YOUR age i had to walk barefoot in ice with a 50 pound backpack to get to school!"

"GET OFF MY LAWN!"

^--- this is what i thought of when i read your post :p

I work for a corp with 300k+ employees and we come in whenever we want (as long as it's before 10:30 i think).

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
With most transit systems, he could catch an earlier sequence of buses - which would require him to start out 5-25 minutes earlier. Check out the transit website, and see just how much of his own time he's not willing to sacrifice to make it early/on time.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I would tell him that he has one last chance and if he is late again, you're sorry but you're going to have to let him go. Also tell him that if he's having troubles with riding the bus, then perhaps he can get on earlier and that way he'll be early to work and could perhaps take off early to match the # of minutes.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Here is my question. If there is a lot of work to do, do you ever expect your employees to stay late to finish it? Or do they just say, hey it's 5pm, come hell or high water, I am outta here?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: BoomerD

If my company wanted to be anal and say I have to be here at 9:00 on the dot or I'd be fired, I'd comply. I'm very capable of getting to work on time if I'm required to do so. But then I'd hold them to their end of the bargain too - I'm out the door at 5:00. Customer's server goes down at 4:58? See you at 9:00. ;) (OK, I wouldn't actually do that, because I'm not a dick). I actually like my job, so I'm willing to work late to finish something up. I VPNed in at 11:00 last night, because I had an idea about something. My company gets more out of me by letting me do things my way than by making me show up at 9:00 every day.

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
Talk to your legal people to set up a procedure to make this iron-clad. Employee will eventually start being late again b/c it is his nature to slide over the line of responsibility.

ie, counsel him with witnesses (NOT another employee), saying everyone is required to be on time, he has a continual problem with being late in spite of warnings, he gets day off with pay to decide if he wants to continue working there, he signs a letter that if he is late ONE time, he will be fired.

If he agrees and then someday 6 months from now he's late and you don't fire him, you just broke the agreement and you are back where you are today.

EMPshockwave82

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2003
well...... if you have a job you have a responsability to meet expectations or expect termination.

if he knows his roomate cant give him a ride he should be on the earlier bus

final warning
out the door if it continues imo

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: redgtxdi
Originally posted by: AdamK47

Any suggestions??

I *am* IS, IT, CEO, CFO and every other acronym you can find. Without me the work day doesn't start because the business doesn't open. Due to my 12 years running the show solo & providing the owner of the company w/ a supplemental 6 figure income, I am eligible to partnership in profits (we have an unusual agreement that earns me percentages of the company and profits) and can do whatever I please. Fair or not, I've earned it and run a morally and ethically sound business.

You would probably wish you worked for me if you could as I try hard to make certain everyone wants to come back the following day.

Thus his life dilema.

You didn't think my parody was funny? It was my sig, wasn't it?