email asking for eBay user ID and password scam?

webley

Golden Member
May 22, 2001
I just received an email that asks for me to re-enter my eBay user ID and password and hit a submit button. It looks like it's connected to the ebay site but I just wanted to check with others to make sure it's not a scam. Anyone else get this email and is it safe?

GoodToGo

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Sure go ahead and fill it out. Also give your social security, date of birth and bank account number as an added precaution.

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
it's totally legit. I've done it 3 or 4 times, never had a problem. They just want to keep your account safe. And do what good to go said.

rolleye.gif

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Better yet ... PM me your name, address, SSN, credit card #, bank account #, and anything else confidential. In case you lose your memory from an accident, I'll serve as your backup.

neovan

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
i got emails that looked like ebay, paypal and now even my freakin bank.

i hate phish!

webley

Golden Member
May 22, 2001
This is the first time I've had this email scam so that's why I was asking about it. Be careful GoodToGo and Honkeydonk with the sarcasm because
someone might actually submit their info if they believed your posts saying to do so.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: webley
This is the first time I've had this email scam so that's why I was asking about it. Be careful GoodToGo and Honkeydonk with the sarcasm because
someone might actually submit their info if they believed your posts saying to do so.

Did the doctor drop you when you were born?

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Dude, right on Ebay's sign in page it says they will never send you emails asking for this info. It didn't magically change.....
:disgust:

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
It doesn't say anything about it on the sign in page but in the eBay security center under Spotting a Spoof (Fake) Email it tells about the email scams. Thanks for the help everyone.
Ok, so maybe it's Paypal. Either way, you would have to be an 83 year old grandmother who puts her trust in a CAR SALESMAN to believe anything like an email asking for your username and Password.

webley

Golden Member
May 22, 2001
So the basic rule of thumb is always go to the website through a browser (never through email link) and login before entering any information.

I get lots of ads for Buy.com etc but is it dangerous to link to their website through the email. I mean how do you know it's the real retail site your linking to and not a fake website?

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
What's that one where the guy didn't even hide the true URL, and then on the page, it asked for EVERYTHING, like mother's maiden name, a credit card number (including expiration date AND security code from the back of the card), and checking account number complete with routing number?

webley

Golden Member
May 22, 2001
lizardboy said:
know this is spam.

so you don't know how to tell if the website they take you to is legit or not? I've heard there are ways to fake commercial websites linked through email which is why I asked.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
lizardboy said:
know this is spam.

so you don't know how to tell if the website they take you to is legit or not? I've heard there are ways to fake commercial websites linked through email which is why I asked.

They are, without exception, all scams. Don't worry about any of this stuff until you account doesn't work when you go to log on through the main site. (Which won't happen.)