Elon Musk now owns 9.2% of twitter...update.. will soon be the sole owner as Board of Directors accepts his purchase offer

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
The fact that the market now values BOTH twitter and tesla less with musk in charge of both is both telling and hilarious to me.

Enjoying the schadenfreud of him tying himself to a boat anchor and promptly chucking it overboard.

I am glad I dumped most of my Tesla stock last November at $1200. I knew that at some point Musk was going to do something stupid on Twitter.

Reactions: Zorba

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Yeah, he's severely reducing his Tesla customer base with his statements/antics. Not a ton of Teslas being purchased by the Golden Corral/NASCAR demographic ...

Go ahead and try to order a Model Y in the US right now. You are looking at a delivery date of Q4 22 or Q1 23 depending on options.

I guess we will see if Q2 US Sales are impacted.

Screenshot 2022-05-16 075932.jpg

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
And then he went full moron…

Just wait, when tsla and twitter tanks another 20% he’ll claim he is victim of leftish cancel culture.
Someone bring this man another line of cocaine stat.
Obviously most CEOs are republicans for self interest reasons. But seems like a CEO whose main company sells almost exclusively to "leftist," wouldn't go out shitting on his customer base like crazy.

Reactions: cytg111

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Why ban him? When the man wants to hang himself, give him more rope.
I kind of meant after he backed out of the deal. But he is only hanging himself with people that already don't like him.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Go ahead and try to order a Model Y in the US right now. You are looking at a delivery date of Q4 22 or Q1 23 depending on options.

I guess we will see if Q2 US Sales are impacted.

View attachment 61697

This chart more answers "who has EV production capacity right now?" instead of an equal comparison between manufacturers. Personally I think the Mach-E and Ioniq 5 look a lot better than anything Tesla has to offer and would be more inclined to them.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Elon really fucked up here. He blustered his way into buying Twitter - Tesla and Twitter went down, now he is trying to con his way into buying it at a lower price or get out of the deal by making unsubstantiated claims that have no legal standing. Twitter wasa 40 billion dollar company, they have good lawyers, they didn't write a contract for some petulant man child egotistical maniac to toy with such a major business deal. Elon just thinks he should get what he wants because he is a dick.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It really is this simple. I'm quite content to watch his arrogant ass twist in the wind until he ultimately coughs up the breakup cash.

He really thinks the rules don't apply to him. He made a brash business decision because he loves being a troll on Twitter and now doesn't want to play by the rules of a major business transaction. It's amazing how big of a man-bitch he is. Reminds me slightly of an orange ex president.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Erhm.. did I hear that right, some rumor of him maybe selling stake in spacex to finance the twitter deal?

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Go ahead and try to find ANY car in the US right now. The exact same argument can be made for a Honda Pilot ...

My local Honda Dealer has seven 2022 Pilot's on the lot for sale. So no, the exact same argument cannot be made.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
This chart more answers "who has EV production capacity right now?" instead of an equal comparison between manufacturers. Personally I think the Mach-E and Ioniq 5 look a lot better than anything Tesla has to offer and would be more inclined to them.

Doesn't really matter how well you make your EV does it if you cannot produce it in volume? I always liked the look of the Kona EV but they didn't want to build it in volume. Was really difficult to find on a dealer lot and if you found it, they wanted above sticker.

I have sat in Ioniq 5, ID4 and a Model Y. The Model Y has a lot more interior room and bigger back seats. One of my friends got a Model Y, really nice car but not really into the glass roof and the price of $60k+ was a little more than I want to spend on a car. Was more impressed with the ID4 than the Ioniq 5. I was considering the ID4 as a replacement for our 2019 Leaf until things went sideways on supply chain and it made more financial sense right now to just buyout the lease on the Leaf and wait. Wife doesn't like the looks of the Mach-E so that is out. However she really liked the ID4 when we test drove it. Hopefully VW can start producing them in higher volume.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Erhm.. did I hear that right, some rumor of him maybe selling stake in spacex to finance the twitter deal?

It is hard to know what is going on. There is a private sale of SpaceX employee stock at $70 share. Nobody knows if Musk is selling any of his SpaceX shares. However the timing to me seems suspicious, Musk is trying to raise cash.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Doesn't really matter how well you make your EV does it if you cannot produce it in volume? I always liked the look of the Kona EV but they didn't want to build it in volume. Was really difficult to find on a dealer lot and if you found it, they wanted above sticker.

I have sat in Ioniq 5, ID4 and a Model Y. The Model Y has a lot more interior room and bigger back seats. One of my friends got a Model Y, really nice car but not really into the glass roof and the price of $60k+ was a little more than I want to spend on a car. Was more impressed with the ID4 than the Ioniq 5. I was considering the ID4 as a replacement for our 2019 Leaf until things went sideways on supply chain and it made more financial sense right now to just buyout the lease on the Leaf and wait. Wife doesn't like the looks of the Mach-E so that is out. However she really liked the ID4 when we test drove it. Hopefully VW can start producing them in higher volume.

Legacy automakers are going to be catching up in capacity over the next few years was more my point. Once Tesla has real completion in volume we'll see how they do. VW's issue lately is the wiring harnesses for the ID4 is made in Ukraine...

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
With the lower share price why can't Musk just keep buying shares? Once he owns over 50% he can pretty much do whatever he wants with Twitter.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
My local Honda Dealer has seven 2022 Pilot's on the lot for sale. So no, the exact same argument cannot be made.

Good for you. Not the case for 150 miles where I'm at. And not just Pilots. Any "popular" or highly rated mid sized SUV are only taking orders or deposits on incoming stock (months out as well), along with a few other non-SUVs I've considered. Cars are in short supply most everywhere ... that's the point. It's not a unique Tesla thing. But ...

elonsweirdnerds.jpg

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
With the lower share price why can't Musk just keep buying shares? Once he owns over 50% he can pretty much do whatever he wants with Twitter.

It would drive the price up, possibly even higher than his original offer, especially with disclosure rules. He's probably considered an insider now, and that tightens disclosure rules.

Not that he actually cares about rules.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
At current prices, Musk is poised to shell out 44 billion dollars for a 28 billion dollar market cap tech company with executives and top talent jumping off the boat.

So he’s locked into an increasingly shitty deal, and meanwhile, his existing TSLA shares are dumping hard and public sentiment seems to be divebombing on the guy.

And prices could have a long way to go before they find their bottom.