Elite Dangerous

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Anyone have this game? I checked out some videos and reviews and am interested, but then I saw it was $60 and had pay-for paint jobs and junk. This isn't like Star Citizen where you can spend a ton of money is it? Worth the $60?

Last edited:

lsv

Golden Member
Dec 18, 2009
Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen seem like games for well-off techy/nerdy adults with disposable income and no kids (so time). I'll bypass these tbh.

Morgoth780

Jul 3, 2014
It's a shame they want to charge so much for extra ships.

I hope they either roll everything into one $60 purchase (Both E:D and SC) or take the DCS:World model where it's free but you only get a couple ships to start, and continue to be able to pay for more.

Disappointing how they're turning out though.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
Wait, so you do have to pay real money for ships in this game or is it possible to get them without paying? I hate these nickel and dime models.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
It's a shame they want to charge so much for extra ships.

I hope they either roll everything into one $60 purchase (Both E:D and SC) or take the DCS:World model where it's free but you only get a couple ships to start, and continue to be able to pay for more.

Disappointing how they're turning out though.

I don;t know about Elite but for SC the only ship you need to pay for is the starter that comes with your copy of the game. At certain times throughout the year that can be had as low as $20.

Every other ship in game can be earned in game. That is something the Dev team has stressed repeatedly.

Elite is the same way, hopefully?

Last edited:

DrRamtop

Dec 22, 2014
You don't need to spend real money for anything in Elite. Ships, equipment, etc, are earned in-game only, you can't spend cash for them even if you wanted to. You just pay for the game (£39.99, not sure what the USD price is).

The only in-game items that sell for currency are ship skins that are purely cosmetic and, to be honest, a bit of a waste of money since you can't actually see the outside of your ship when its flying.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
Decided to pick it up. The game handles better than any space sim I've played. Everything is well thought out. Some space games can get super technical, but Elite Dangerous packs a ton of maneuverability into a smart control scheme. I'm using a HOTUS and they already assigned all the keys and teach you using those in the tutorials. No need to fiddle for an hour setting up controls. It works immediately with TrackIR as well, no messing around.

Very user friendly. I've only done one mission so far, but I'm really liking it.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Anyone have this game? I checked out some videos and reviews and am interested, but then I saw it was $60 and had pay-for ships and junk. This isn't like Star Citizen where you can spend a ton of money is it? Worth the $60?

i feel like OP needs to come back and edit this, since its pretty blatant misinformation that might deter people

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Decided to pick it up. The game handles better than any space sim I've played. Everything is well thought out. Some space games can get super technical, but Elite Dangerous packs a ton of maneuverability into a smart control scheme. I'm using a HOTUS and they already assigned all the keys and teach you using those in the tutorials. No need to fiddle for an hour setting up controls. It works immediately with TrackIR as well, no messing around.

Very user friendly. I've only done one mission so far, but I'm really liking it.

Me to. It's like they spliced in some MSFS genes in there. The ships actually feel authentic and actually require some interaction between flight modes and docking. Ironically, I actually think it plays better with my Logitech than my Thrustmaster Warthog hotus, which is a bit too stiff for the rapid movements I need. TrackIR is a must. I'm curious if the controls will scare of the casuals. Even X3 feels a bit arcade like compared to the "flight modeling" in Elite Dangerous.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
Me to. It's like they spliced in some MSFS genes in there. The ships actually feel authentic and actually require some interaction between flight modes and docking. Ironically, I actually think it plays better with my Logitech than my Thrustmaster Warthog hotus, which is a bit too stiff for the rapid movements I need. TrackIR is a must. I'm curious if the controls will scare of the casuals. Even X3 feels a bit arcade like compared to the "flight modeling" in Elite Dangerous.

I thought X3 felt sterile or contrived compared to Elite. Elite feels perfect. I'm using an X52 and its great so far. I tightened up the spring on the joystick. A stock X52 is way, way too loose. I can't wait for the official Oculus Rift to come out. I'll buy one just for this game.

Omar F1

Sep 29, 2009
So the game is out, I thought it was a 2015 release.

Could it be played easily with mouse / keyboard, or better pick a joystick?

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005

I've heard keyboard/mouse support is decent, but I wouldn't want to play it that way.

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005

I haven't done any PVP (no incentive right now), but it's easy to play with kb/mouse. I generally prefer it over my joystick.

Omar F1

Sep 29, 2009
Thanks
I'm currently engaged with Titanfall, as I never played any space sim. before, Elite: D will be the first and would be a new genre to me.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Ok, so help me out here. I really want to get this game. I'm a sucker for any space sim, which is why Egosoft got my money for X:Stillbirth. Watching the trailer and reading reviews makes my lower lip quiver with desire. It seems to be everything I've ever wanted in a space game.

Then I watched most of an hour-long video by this english-sounding guy (Stromley? Quite an entertaining guy. Knows a lot about astrophysics). He starts out saying he's just going to explore around, and there are some cool shots of stars, the warp tunnel effect, one brief combat scene. But for the most part it's system after system of "Well, not much here. Where should we go next?"

The game is around $62 right now, which ain't chump change for a game. I'm afraid I'll buy this thing, be all gaga over the cockpit and mechanics for two or three play sessions, and then realize there's nothing else to it. Please, someone tell me the galaxy isn't empty :).

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
Ok, so help me out here. I really want to get this game. I'm a sucker for any space sim, which is why Egosoft got my money for X:Stillbirth. Watching the trailer and reading reviews makes my lower lip quiver with desire. It seems to be everything I've ever wanted in a space game.

Then I watched most of an hour-long video by this english-sounding guy (Stromley? Quite an entertaining guy. Knows a lot about astrophysics). He starts out saying he's just going to explore around, and there are some cool shots of stars, the warp tunnel effect, one brief combat scene. But for the most part it's system after system of "Well, not much here. Where should we go next?"

The game is around $62 right now, which ain't chump change for a game. I'm afraid I'll buy this thing, be all gaga over the cockpit and mechanics for two or three play sessions, and then realize there's nothing else to it. Please, someone tell me the galaxy isn't empty :).

You are correct in guessing that it's a huge empty galaxy. There are 400 billion unique star systems to "explore", but the only reward you get is credits for scanning them.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I agree, but you couldn't be anymore abrasive could you?

Maybe a little abrasive but you couldn't be any more sensitive could you?

I read that first post and almost tabbed out but since I ain't doing anything decided to read the rest of the thread to find out it's wrong.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i have read some pretty horrible comments on this game that have put me off trying it.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
not entirely sure, because i dont own it myself, but apparently its only online. but, i have heard people complain that there is little interaction and you dont run into many live players.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
not entirely sure, because i dont own it myself, but apparently its only online. but, i have heard people complain that there is little interaction and you dont run into many live players.

Yeah was just reading a review and was confused. You could play with friends but they said it was hard to coordinate and you couldn't split missions. So wasn't sure if it had some PvP to it.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Yeah was just reading a review and was confused. You could play with friends but they said it was hard to coordinate and you couldn't split missions. So wasn't sure if it had some PvP to it.

The game is online, but it is instanced. So if there are 100 people in the same location, you're not going to see all of them, only those sharing your instance. You can also choose to play the game in private group mode, which means the only humans you will encounter are those in your group. Or you can play online solo, which means you don't encounter any other humans, just AI.

I was able to build up enough credits to buy an ASP and upgrade it, but my next target ship to upgrade to (the Python) seems a loooooong ways off.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
that was the one thing which horrified me the most. you can switch between instanced and solo at any time.. this means that you will lose a 1v1 PvP *only* if you are so honest as to remain in the fight until you explode. at any time you can cheat your way out of a PvP by switching to solo mode.