Elisha Cuthbert

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xcript

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2003
I hereby declare that:

a) Elisha is a girls name, and only a girls name.
b) It is pronounced A-LEE-SHA, not E-LIE-SHA.
c) Any male with this name should be ridiculed into oblivion for having such a girly name.

J/K. :D

Also, Elisha Cuthbert is insanely hot.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: djheater
Originally posted by: waylman
Elisha is a Hebrew word. It means "God is My Salvation."
Clearly, there is a correct way to say it. That is what I am saying.

I know this is what you are saying, but you are wrong. If Elisha Cuthbert wants to be called "Alicia" it does not mean she is pronouncing the name wrong.

Heh, although I respect your opinion I don't think i agree with you. Historical precedent determines pronunciations IMO. By the same token pronunciations may change over time.

u guys are nuts. just b/c "elisha" is a hebrew word, someone does not have to use the original pronunciation. A name is open to interpretation. The parents choose how the name should sound and how it should be spelled. They do not have to follow "historical precedents."

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I know this is what you are saying, but you are wrong. If Elisha Cuthbert wants to be called "Alicia" it does not mean she is pronouncing the name wrong.

I understand what you're saying, it is a technicality because .. names are weird like that. :p

But as a word, it has a correct pronunciation. If you say it differently, it no longer means the same thing. If you're going to bother to name your child something exotic, don't you think the parent is going to know how to say the word?

Again, I bet she doesen't pronounce it Alicia... because that is not how you pronounce that word.

Please consult http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Elisha.

This concept is really not hard to grasp. If dictionary.com does not clear it up for you.. I give up.

Here is a link to the Pronunciation Key just to make it all that much easier.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Eli

I understand what you're saying, it is a technicality because .. names are weird like that. :p

But as a word, it has a correct pronunciation. If you say it differently, it no longer means the same thing. If you're going to bother to name your child something exotic, don't you think the parent is going to know how to say the word?

Again, I bet she doesen't pronounce it Alicia.

Oh..and lets not forget what's important here; Elisha Cuthbert is teh SEXAY!

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
Bah! I actually watch 24 for the content! :D

Well see..I'll be watching it for the same reason, content. The content will be much better this season :D.

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003
well, where u lose me is when u say "I bet it's not pronounced Alicia" when we all know that IS how she pronounces her name!

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: MartyMcFly3
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
/sets TiVo to record every episode of 24

- M4H

/Joins M4H in this 24 recording endeavor
/sets DVR to record ever episode

ohhhhhhhhhhh man... forget school im watching 24, well 24/7 :p

Word. We need one of the guys with an HD capture card to get in on this. :D

- M4H

Wait...is it(24) gonna be broadcasted in HDTV this season? :Q Thats it..we are chipping in for one, or something...

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
well, where u lose me is when u say "I bet it's not pronounced Alicia" when we all know that IS how she pronounces her name!

This is what I was looking for an answer to. How do you know that is how she pronounces her name though? Have you heard her say it, or heard someone address her real person?

I'm just curious. I wouldn't doubt it's true, but it doesen't seem likely.

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003

This is what I was looking for an answer to. How do you know that is how she pronounces her name though? Have you heard her say it, or heard someone address her real person?

I'm just curious. I wouldn't doubt it's true, but it doesen't seem likely.

to be honest, when i was banging her last summer she always told me to say her name...she liked it. Seriously though, that is just how i have heard her name pronounced in the media....(off to sleep now with sweet dreams of elisha in my mind)

xcript

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2003

Yes. Many a time. On PMK.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: xcript

Yes. Many a time. On PMK.

Ahh.

That is interesting. I still stand by what I say, although I do realize the argument is a moot point for names.

MartyMcFly3

Lifer
Jan 18, 2003
www.youtube.com
Yeah enough talk about pronouncing the name, and whether or not its a boy/girl's name... the idea of this thread is to focus on the hotness of Elisha Cuthbert...