Elisha Cuthbert

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Caanon
Originally posted by: Eli
WTF?

She has a guy name.

Elisha, not Elijah

My name is Elisha.

It is a guy name.

It is not pronounced Alicia.

She may pronounce it that way.. but it is incorrect. :p

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
WTF?

She has a guy name.

Elisha, not Elijah

My name is Elisha.

It is a guy name.

No it just means you have a girls name....... buahaha! ;):p

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: nitsuj3580
WTF?

She has a guy name.

Elisha, not Elijah

My name is Elisha.

It is a guy name.

looks like it's
a male and female name (yes, I'm bored tonight :))
Actually, you're right.. I was going to post that it works for both.. i'm just biased. ;)

I wonder if she pronounces it the correct way (E-lie-sha)...

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003
there is no proper way to say "elisha" There can be several pronounciations. Now just come to terms with the fact that u have a chick's name.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: waylman
there is no proper way to say "elisha" There can be several pronounciations. Now just come to terms with the fact that u have a chick's name.
Uh, ok? What do you mean there is no proper way to say "elisha"? Just like there's no proper way to say "pronounciation", right?
rolleye.gif

I've never even though about it, I have never met nor seen a girl named Elisha.. before now.

I have met and seen several guys named Elisha though.

I wasn't aware that it was unisex until I looked it up. I thought it was a guys name; It doesen't sound like a girls name.

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003
you are as dumb as they come. names can be said in many different ways. Just because you say your girly name one way, it doesn't mean everyone has to use it the same way. Look at a name like Liana. The name can be pronounced Lee-anna or as Lee-onna. Getting it yet?

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
you are as dumb as they come. names can be said in many different ways. Just because you say your girly name one way, it doesn't mean everyone has to use it the same way. Look at a name like Liana. The name can be pronounced Lee-anna or as Lee-onna. Getting it yet?
I'm dumb? You're the one sitting here saying Elisha is a "girly" name, when clearly it is appropriate for both sexes.

No sh!t some names can be said a few different ways. Elisha isn't one of them. Most people do not pronounce it correctly and say E-lee-sha, or A-lee-cia.

This whole argument is stupid and pointless. Go beat off or something. I don't care what you think about my name.

Edit: Well, obviously, since it is a name, the parent can spell it any way they wish and make up the pronounciation to go along with it... and that will become their name.

I wouldn't doubt that there are girls named "Elisha" that pronounce it "Alicia", but it is still incorrect.. even though it is their name.

Interesting, according to dictionary.com it is actually pronounced more like Ih-lie-sha.

It would be interesting to hear someone say it who knows Hebrew.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
For me, Elisha is a family name, pronounced E-lie-shu

It's strictly a boys name for us, and my in fact be the name of my eventual son.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: djheater
For me, Elisha is a family name, pronounced E-lie-shu

It's strictly a boys name for us, and my in fact be the name of my eventual son.
:)

I was in Safeway with my brother a while back, and we were in the checkout line next to this pregnant woman..

and she was striking up a conversation with the cashier. She's like.. "blahblahblah(wasn't really paying attention)..My other son's name is Elisha.. I'm thinking about naming him(referencing her tummy) Israel(my brothers name)."

My brother and I just kinda looked at eachother, dumbfounded. Of course, my girlfriend had to speak up and say something. We all talked for a little while about how our parents came up with the names, etc after we were through the checkout line. I think we helped her make her final decision. ;) lol..

It was bizzare.

Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
your child shall have fun in school
I never had any problems in school with my name. I mean, of course substitutes would get it wrong.. but it was almost kinda cool.

The whole class would wait for it as the sub went down the list.. when they would say my name wrong, they'd go.. "E-LIE-SHA".. heh. I swear, I had more substitutes in 6th grade than all the other years combined... lol.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001

Eli is a common derivitave and not that unheard of.

My daughters are Satya and Esme, an Elisha would fit right in for strangeness.

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003
Edit: Well, obviously, since it is a name, the parent can spell it any way they wish and make up the pronounciation to go along with it... and that will become their name.

ok, now i agree with that.

I wouldn't doubt that there are girls named "Elisha" that pronounce it "Alicia", but it is still incorrect.. even though it is their name.

here's where we get crossed up. there is no "correct" or "incorrect" way to pronounce the name. For you, it's "Elijah", for Elisha Cuthbert, it's "Alicia."

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: djheater

Eli is a common derivitave and not that unheard of.

My daughters are Satya and Esme, an Elisha would fit right in for strangeness.

I didn't start going by Eli until I was like 18, heh.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999

ok, now i agree with that.

here's where we get crossed up. there is no "correct" or "incorrect" way to pronounce the name. For you, it's "Elijah", for Elisha Cuthbert, it's "Alicia."

Elisha is a Hebrew word. It means "God is My Salvation.".

Clearly, there is a correct way to say it. That is what I am saying.

I doubt she pronounces it as Alicia. It would seem that most parents willing to name their children something "exotic" will know how to pronounce the word.

And it is NOT pronounced "Elijah", Elijah is pronounced Elijah. :p There is no J in Elisha.

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003
Elisha is a Hebrew word. It means "God is My Salvation."

I know this is what you are saying, but you are wrong. If Elisha Cuthbert wants to be called "Alicia" it does not mean she is pronouncing the name wrong.

Muck

Feb 16, 2003
Where's the Old School screenshot?? You know which one I'm talking about. :)

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Elisha is a Hebrew word. It means "God is My Salvation."

I know this is what you are saying, but you are wrong. If Elisha Cuthbert wants to be called "Alicia" it does not mean she is pronouncing the name wrong.

Heh, although I respect your opinion I don't think i agree with you. Historical precedent determines pronunciations IMO. By the same token pronunciations may change over time.