Elijah Cummings' house burglarized

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How's the crime rate?

I'm not aware of any law enforcement data by congressional district but the crime rate is probably fine. After all, while Cummings' district includes poor areas of Baltimore it also includes some of the wealthiest counties in the country. Again, it's a better district to live in than most in the country. High educational attainment, high income, etc.

So again, since you apparently think more than half of America is a shithole where do you plan on moving?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm not aware of any law enforcement data by congressional district but the crime rate is probably fine. After all, while Cummings' district includes poor areas of Baltimore it also includes some of the wealthiest counties in the country. Again, it's a better district to live in than most in the country. High educational attainment, high income, etc.

So again, since you apparently think more than half of America is a shithole where do you plan on moving?

I'll help you out.

https://www.usnews.com/news/cities/...cking-president-trump-on-his-baltimore-tweets

While Cummings' district does include the city of Baltimore, it also encompasses the suburbs and counties outside of the city, including most of the affluent Howard County. Yet Trump appeared to conflate the two when he tweeted that Cummings' "Baltimore district is FAR WORSE and more dangerous than the Southern Border."

The Problem of Unequal Investment
In terms of crime, Baltimore has one of the highest crime rates in the country: it's the third-most dangerous city in the U.S according to a 2018 report by 24/7 Wall St. using FBI data, with a violent crime rate of 2,027 per 100,000.
Poverty is widespread in the city; according to a February report from the Urban Institute, Baltimore's poverty rate is 23.1%, nearly double the national rate, and the percentage of people living below the poverty line in Cumming's district is relatively high – 16.6%, compared to the national average of 12.3%.
But Trump's portrayal of the 7th Congressional District as poor overall is mostly unfounded

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'll help you out.

https://www.usnews.com/news/cities/...cking-president-trump-on-his-baltimore-tweets

While Cummings' district does include the city of Baltimore, it also encompasses the suburbs and counties outside of the city, including most of the affluent Howard County. Yet Trump appeared to conflate the two when he tweeted that Cummings' "Baltimore district is FAR WORSE and more dangerous than the Southern Border."

The Problem of Unequal Investment
In terms of crime, Baltimore has one of the highest crime rates in the country: it's the third-most dangerous city in the U.S according to a 2018 report by 24/7 Wall St. using FBI data, with a violent crime rate of 2,027 per 100,000.
Poverty is widespread in the city; according to a February report from the Urban Institute, Baltimore's poverty rate is 23.1%, nearly double the national rate, and the percentage of people living below the poverty line in Cumming's district is relatively high – 16.6%, compared to the national average of 12.3%.
But Trump's portrayal of the 7th Congressional District as poor overall is mostly unfounded

I like how you not only linked something that supported my point but then also didn’t seem to realize that the article said nothing about crime rates in his DISTRICT, but for the city of Baltimore as a whole, which is exactly what I said.

Way to own yourself yet again, dummy. Any thoughts on where you’re going to move to in order to escape this country you clearly think is a shithole?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I like how you not only linked something that supported my point but then also didn’t seem to realize that the article said nothing about crime rates in his DISTRICT, but for the city of Baltimore as a whole, which is exactly what I said.

Way to own yourself yet again, dummy. Any thoughts on where you’re going to move to in order to escape this country you clearly think is a shithole?

Right, a huge percentage of his district is exceptionally violent. I know you like statistics that are too far removed to have any meaning, but crime is a huge issue in his district, regardless of how you try to spin it. Also, nice job on the poverty stat, go Democrats!

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
It looks like dear leader is super concerned.

From the mind of a six year old spoiled brat who never gets punished because his daddy was too busy finding ways to cheat on his taxes and get away with it.

Trump deserves every minute, every second of jail time he's going to get if he isn't re-elected. Let him tweet all he wants from there and see if any of his few remaining die-hard supporters (all two of them including himself and his other self "the stable genius") will ever get anything out into the twittersphere from the fake phone the warden gives him.

Melania will cry buckets of crocodile tears as she has her parents move in with her, Junior will proclaim "the King is dead, long live the King Fuck'in Ehhhhh!!" and Mikey Cohen will be at the prison gates welcoming him to his new home while Putin cashes in on whatever residuals he got out of Trump while the shithead "ruled the world" from the Oval Office.

Next up: Moscow Mitch gets bitch slapped by Pelosi by denying him funding for every single thing he wants for his Russian friends.

Hey, it's just me the optimist projecting here.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Right, a huge percentage of his district is exceptionally violent. I know you like statistics that are too far removed to have any meaning, but crime is a huge issue in his district, regardless of how you try to spin it. Also, nice job on the poverty stat, go Democrats!

lol. Again, nice job owning yourself by linking an article that says Cummings' district is better off than average.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004

So you expect him to personally fix crime in his district? Fair enough, when will Trump end crime in the United States, because as you know that's his responsibility. By yours and Trump's logic every single shithole city in the country is a shithole under his watch, and he's doing absolutely nothing to help the situations there by being a whiny little bitch on his Twitter feed.

Trump is focusing his spare time working on releasing some rapper from a foreign jail because Kim Kardashian wants him to, rather than addressing the problems here in the U.S.A.

Serious question, do you ever really think something through before you regurgitate it? It might not make you look quite as stupid as you come off on these forums.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
That's not what it says. It says some stats are better, some look to be quite worse.

There is exactly one stat in that article that is worse than the national average. All the others are better. After all this is a quote from the article:

But a closer look at data from the district paints a very different picture, suggesting that the president's tweets are either incorrect or exaggerated and lacking context.

You linked an article that says you're wrong. lol.

Seriously this is another one of those times where I feel like you have to be some Democratic plant to make Trump supporters look stupid. There's no way anyone can be this dumb, right?

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013

It may be better in aggregate, but we know what Trump was referring to on lack of improvement for dollars going there and typical imagery of really fucked up buildings. Black income and wealth in Baltimore is substantially lower in comparison.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
It may be better in aggregate, but we know what Trump was referring to on lack of improvement for dollars going there and typical imagery of really fucked up buildings. Black income and wealth in Baltimore is substantially lower in comparison.
Except in Cumming's district, who Trump blamed for the entire city's problems.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Except in Cumming's district, who Trump blamed for the entire city's problems.

From what I've seen, the ratio heavily favors white. The comparison Republicans love to make is completely disingenuous, though. Had they been the one's controlling the minority-majoritiy cities and districts, they would fare worse.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...atcliffe-not-cummings/?utm_term=.fec43ded1fcf

As we noted on Monday, Cummings’s district has one of the highest white-to-black income ratios of any congressional district: White households make far more than black households.

But again: As that first map shows, the district isn’t all Baltimore. There’s another gap that’s worth highlighting, in fact. The median household income for white households in Cummings’s district is 2.25 times the income for black households. That’s a higher discrepancy than in all but 13 other districts — including Illinois’s 7th District.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
This Spyder idiot keeps attacking an American district, I thought the point was to love America or leave it. So get the fuck out already. You and all the other rube Trump supporters.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
As the burglary happened roughly two ours prior to the Tangerine Tumor's tweet, it's worth investigating if Donny Two Turds himself did the actual burglary. Coincidence? People are saying it isn't, and I think it's worth investigating. If there is nothing there, then there is nothing there. Why is Slow afraid to investigate?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
That's not what it says. It says some stats are better, some look to be quite worse.

It seems that perhaps that better qualifies Cummings to be President as he defended his home and won. Trump being cowardly would be down on his knees because I say so.

Easily proved. Let's pick a less beefy threat than Cummings and have Trump fight Sharpton, 10 rounds which ends by submission or TKO. Trump would knock either of these guys out in one punch, eh?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
When ones see non-Marylanders talk about Maryland, it really shows that they have no clue about the state. Yes, I have grown up and lived in this miserable state for 30 fucking years. I never lived in Baltimore City, but did research the real estate market there. Cliffnotes for the unlearned: Everywhere else is Maryland is OKAY to live in, generally, but Baltimore City is a problematic place and has plenty of dangerous neighborhoods. The well-off live in Baltimore County, Howard County, PG, Montgomery, etc. You want "high-end one-percenters" Maryland, take a look at Bethesda or the Wooton High School area. That's where the rich people live. Schools, low crime, etc. Those are the places people on Anandtech would move to, because techies make good money.

Also pathetic are the Marylanders trying to DEFEND Baltimore...I say they're putting lipstick on a pig. They might have cozy careers and live in the affluent sections of that city, but they know damn well that they too would never dare set foot into the garbage sections in the city for more than a second or send their kids to the schools that serve those areas. Some places in Baltimore have rowhouses for sale for merely $30,000-$50,000; but I dare anyone seriously who has a family and can afford a 200k+ place anywhere else would move to those areas WITH A STRAIGHT FACE. Cummings lives in affluent Baltimore City(Madison Park), not the garbage sections.

Baltimore City is a city of neighborhoods. Very bipolar. There are places that ARE utterly garbage and only investors renting to Section 8 tenants own property there. Places like Coppin Heights, I would dare anyone on this site making their 80+k salaries to move to that place. Chances are, you come in with a fine brand new Benz and you will get robbed the next day. No serious person who can afford to live elsewhere would live in THOSE neighborhoods. Then you have rich neighborhoods like Bolton Hill where rowhouses can fetch a pretty penny, maybe $500,000. Madison Park borders Bolton Hill. Coppin Heights is only like a mile away. That's the mosaic of Baltimore City. One section can be fine place, but just around the corner is hot garbage trash.

The recent mayors of Baltimore...have indeed been corrupt. Catherine Pugh just resigned.

Anyone remember Freddie Gray? That provided plenty of anti-police fodder...and probably some non-Marylanders thought Baltimore was a conservative bastion....because oh Democratic cities can't be racist....Trump would not go that route though, because he is a cop hugger.

Also, the entire exchange IS political banter to get brownie points the uneducated because Americans really don't understand their own country's governing system. Elijah Cummings does basically NOTHING for the counties and Baltimore City itself. He works for the federal government and is there to influence that part of the government. One head in the freaking House of Representatives. Target the city government of Baltimore City itself, or the State of Maryland. Target the people responsible for governing the day-to-day operations of Baltimore City, and yes, the many drugged up constituents themselves living there. That's not Elijah Cummings.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Why do you hate America? Are you now AGAINST the right to bear arms?

I love America and want to make it better, I offer constructive ideas. That is different than shooting cops, throwing water on them, blocking traffic, burning flags, attacking people with MAGA hats, etc. As long as the left keeps brainwashing people into being victims, telling them they can't so they shouldn't bother trying, won't let some subjects even be talked about honestly, don't expect much to change. Oh yea, but the left implemented anti-white racism in the form of affirmative action, that'll fix things!

None of this matter,t he world is ending soon due to climate change. L O L

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I love America and want to make it better, I offer constructive ideas. That is different than shooting cops, throwing water on them, blocking traffic, burning flags, attacking people with MAGA hats, etc. As long as the left keeps brainwashing people into being victims, telling them they can't so they shouldn't bother trying, won't let some subjects even be talked about honestly, don't expect much to change. Oh yea, but the left implemented anti-white racism in the form of affirmative action, that'll fix things!

None of this matter,t he world is ending soon due to climate change. L O L

You continue to criticize America. So why don't you leave it already like your ilk tell others to do?

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
I only like places that have a 2A or equivalent. Isn't America great?

You'll love India dude.

You can kill Mooslems and get away with it. Hell you can literally lynch them.
Guns are rampant.
LGBT are non existent.
And the cold winters aren't cold at all. Hell you can sunbathe everyday!