Discussion Eligible for a third shot, which should I get?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
I would probably take Moderna, although I've received three Pfizer shots myself.

For anyone who's interested, for me and my family members the third shot was the worst by far with regards to side effects (couldn't sleep, very minor fever, some muscle pain etc.), although it passed completely for me a day after the shot, and for others it took another day.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Moderna dose .5ml
J&J dose .5ml
Pfizer dose .3ml

I see what happened now. When I heard that number it was during the COVE Phase 3 trial, where they used two 100 microgram doses. For release they scaled it back to free up more vaccine, went with two 50 microgram doses. My bad there, thank you.

Edit:

Aha, Anthony Fauci 8/15 interview on Good Morning America: "Remember, the original dose of the Moderna is about three times what the dose of the Pfizer is. So you may have a difference in durability, but in general, the vaccines that have been approved for emergency use authorization and hopefully will be approved for a full authorization…are all really highly effective in preventing severe disease."

Last edited:

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I'm sticking with Moderna myself, I like that they are making the booster address more than just covid too (4 diseases in total?)

I can't find anything that backs this up. Do you have a source?

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I'm sticking with Moderna myself, I like that they are making the booster address more than just covid too (4 diseases in total?)
The phase 1 trials for Moderna's mRNA-1010 were started in early July IIRC. It addresses 4 versions of flu: A H1N1, H3N2 and influenza B Yamagata and Victoria – all of which are recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO). So normal flu, covid19, and the HSV pair.
All i see about Moderna's mRNA-1010 is that it's trying to cover 4 types of flu. I see nothing about Covid.

https://www.modernatx.com/mrna-1010-mrna-1020-mrna-1030
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04956575
https://www.precisionvaccinations.com/vaccines/mrna-1010-quadrivalent-influenza-vaccine

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Moderna aims for one seasonal shot for flu, COVID-19, respiratory viruses RSV and HMPV

"We believe that the advantages of mRNA vaccines include the ability to combine different antigens to protect against multiple viruses and the ability to rapidly respond to the evolution of respiratory viruses, such as influenza, SARS-CoV-2 and RSV," Moderna CEO Stéphane Bancel said in a statement. "Our vision is to develop an mRNA combination vaccine so that people can get one shot each fall for high efficacy protection against the most problematic respiratory viruses."

Spacehead, SARS-CoV-2 = covid19.

Last edited:

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Moderna aims for one seasonal shot for flu, COVID-19, respiratory viruses RSV and HMPV

"We believe that the advantages of mRNA vaccines include the ability to combine different antigens to protect against multiple viruses and the ability to rapidly respond to the evolution of respiratory viruses, such as influenza, SARS-CoV-2 and RSV," Moderna CEO Stéphane Bancel said in a statement. "Our vision is to develop an mRNA combination vaccine so that people can get one shot each fall for high efficacy protection against the most problematic respiratory viruses."

Thanks. This is for a future shot though, not the booster shot we're looking at now. For me, Oct 6 is the date and Moderna will be the booster if I can get it since my first 2 were Moderna.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Thanks. This is for a future shot though, not the booster shot we're looking at now. For me, Oct 6 is the date and Moderna should be the booster.

Yes, sorry I see now how my wording could have been better. I was speaking for myself, an optimistic hope that the 1010 concoction will be my 3rd jab. I don't have to worry about it until early 2022, also have the added protection of living in a lower risk state. I'm in the minority though, def don't think anyone here should hold off because I get to.

I do trust Anthony Fauci though, so if he has reservations on mixing vaccinations over some data he's seen, I wouldn't dismiss it. Maybe stick with Pfizer and play it safe, both of you? Moderna does look to handle delta and others a little better, but the difference might not be worth it (for geekbabe I mean). Go with whatever your Dr says ultimately I guess, they know you better than Fauci.

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yes, sorry I see now how my wording could have been better. I was speaking for myself, an optimistic hope that the 1010 concoction will be my 3rd jab. I don't have to worry about it until 2022, also have the added protection of living in a lower risk state. I'm in the minority though, def don't think anyone here should hold off because I get to.

I do trust Anthony Fauci though, so if he has reservations on mixing vaccinations over some data he's seen, I wouldn't dismiss it.

Early on, I had wondered if there would be a benefit to mixing the different formulations...one jab Moderna, one jab Pfizer, one jab J&J.
Now, it sounds like that might be a recipe for disaster.
I still think this Covid crap is a Chinese bio-weapon...the more it mutates and overcomes the various vaccines, the more I'm convinced that it was bio-engineered...
(nope, I know less than zero about the science behind any of this...but I have a very strong dislike/distrust of Red China...and this is just the kind of thing I'd expect of them)

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Early on, I had wondered if there would be a benefit to mixing the different formulations...one jab Moderna, one jab Pfizer, one jab J&J.
Now, it sounds like that might be a recipe for disaster.
I still think this Covid crap is a Chinese bio-weapon...the more it mutates and overcomes the various vaccines, the more I'm convinced that it was bio-engineered...
(nope, I know less than zero about the science behind any of this...but I have a very strong dislike/distrust of Red China...and this is just the kind of thing I'd expect of them)

"Overcome" is probably the wrong word to use when part of the equation is durability of the vaccine. Do you consider the common flu or say, staph to be CCP engineered bioweapons? What sets you off comes as no surprise to anyone who understands evolution, but I will say your suspicion of Beijing is entirely warranted.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
...the more it mutates and overcomes the various vaccines, the more I'm convinced that it was bio-engineered...
To me, that's more a sign of it being natural since natural organisms naturally evolve and mutate to fight off threats.

Bacteria have been evolving for quite some time which is why new anti-biotics are needed since they're become more resistant to the old ones like Penicillin.

Reactions: Ken g6

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Cancer patient eligible for a third dose, my first two shots were Pfizer, my work is offering Moderna. I can get Pfizer but only if I Uber to a Rite Aide.
Which shot should I go for?
My wife got 2 Pfizers and 1 Moderna. She may just go for the 4th shot (2nd round of Moderna) before too long. She got her initial vaccination in late December and had an antibody test last month. The numbers were low enough not to register as having any antigens. (which is what prompted her to get the 3rd shot). She did have a response to the 2nd Pfizer shot and a response to the Moderna shot she had.

She's immuno-compromised and works in health care (seeing COVID patients in her office on occasion)....but who knows. The antigen tests aren't that accurate for everyone from what I hear. You may have more immunity than the tests show....but the best medicine is avoiding others until the case count dies down to something the health systems can manage.

The biggest game changer right now is the monoclonal antibody treatment. It's been saving countless lives and has been the real difference in people leaving the hospitals. Paired with vaccination, they probably saved my cousin's life.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
To me, that's more a sign of it being natural since natural organisms naturally evolve and mutate to fight off threats.

Bacteria have been evolving for quite some time which is why new anti-biotics are needed since they're become more resistant to the old ones like Penicillin.
It's in the genetic sequence that the original virus may have had some "handiwork" given the original was already acclimated to humans. Possibly, lab-assisted evolution rather than the splicing.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
My wife got 2 Pfizers and 1 Moderna. She may just go for the 4th shot (2nd round of Moderna) before too long. She got her initial vaccination in late December and had an antibody test last month. The numbers were low enough not to register as having any antigens. (which is what prompted her to get the 3rd shot). She did have a response to the 2nd Pfizer shot and a response to the Moderna shot she had.

She's immuno-compromised and works in health care (seeing COVID patients in her office on occasion)....but who knows. The antigen tests aren't that accurate for everyone from what I hear. You may have more immunity than the tests show....but the best medicine is avoiding others until the case count dies down to something the health systems can manage.

The biggest game changer right now is the monoclonal antibody treatment. It's been saving countless lives and has been the real difference in people leaving the hospitals. Paired with vaccination, they probably saved my cousin's life.
The T- Detect test would give a more complete picture to see if immunity is still in memory. But it's a paywall of $150 friggin dollars if you just want to get it for yourself with no doc's order.

I had an infection this February, no vaccination, and I also got Labcorp's antibody test 6 months after my positive PCR test. I also had no detectable spike RBD antibodies.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
The T- Detect test would give a more complete picture to see if immunity is still in memory. But it's a paywall of $150 friggin dollars if you just want to get it for yourself with no doc's order.

I had an infection this February, no vaccination, and I also got Labcorp's antibody test 6 months after my positive PCR test. I also had no detectable spike RBD antibodies.
I had someone send me a picture of their negative labcorp semi-quantative spike protein test too over the weekend. So...I'm thinking it's just a crap test. I know they can have false negatives and positives. I really need to open my own testing lab.....sounds like you can just spin a wheel and assign whatever finding you want on the sample.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Last night I was horribly tired, went to bed, woke up with the worst chills I have had in a while. Low grade fever. Today more of the same plus a headache. This is good new, signs of an immune system firing up. I just took Tylenol but think I will miss work again tomorrow

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Last night I was horribly tired, went to bed, woke up with the worst chills I have had in a while. Low grade fever. Today more of the same plus a headache. This is good new, signs of an immune system firing up. I just took Tylenol but think I will miss work again tomorrow
Hang in there!

Reactions: Geekbabe
Feb 4, 2009

Thank you for the update. I’ll keep an open schedule for dose #3

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I feel lousy but am glad I do, my reaction to the booster shot shows an immune system doing it’s job ♥

That was me 2nd round of Moderna. Really felt like shit but was also content in same knowledge, pretty sure it affected my mood for the better given the cold sweats and fatigue. Glad to hear you're fully Shields Up now.