ELEX: Gothic in the Future

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
BUMP!

I decided to buy it.

Looks like it takes a few hours to download. Will let you know how it plays.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I went to buy it last week only to realize I somehow already own it. No idea when I bought the game, but it looked amazing. Let me know how it goes.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Will let you know how it plays.
Plays just like the old gothics,combat is way too cumbersome more then one enemy and you are lost,strategic fighting they call it but it's basically just running away from anything most of the times.
You can't loot enemies for weapons or armour and everything has to be bought from your "guild" for horrendous prices,so all is as it was.
On the plus it really is a beautifully crafted world,not so much pretty as the effects and technical stuff is on the low budged but it's very well crafted.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, I tried. just wasnt fun. too much running around boring areas looking for nothing.

Sold it back to Steam.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I read a lot of reviews on the game and it seems most people hate the combat system, but after watching a few recommended videos regarding the combat system, it actually seems really fun and right up my ally with timed combos and a plethora of different weapon styles to choose from. I'm going to give this a try when I start my days off next week because it seems all the negative feedback is coming from people who barely played the game. It seems like a system that needs some time devotion before you can really get the hang of it.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
It sounds like it may be too much like Gothic. I loved the atmosphere of the first Gothic game, especially the New Camp vs Old Camp vs Swamp Camp thing. But my God did Piranha Bytes have a "thing" for horrible controls. Combat, UI & controls were all super-clunky even for its day. Combo keys (Use + Up Arrow) just to pick up EVERY SINGLE ITEM in the game. Wouldn't inflict damage on anyone who wasn't highlighted even if your sword hits them. 3rd person camera turning controls = "driving a 10 ton truck on a well-buttered ice-rink". Super buggy. I think I finished Gothic 1 with extensive cheats + walkthroughs + no small amount of hair loss and then just gave up with the series. It was made back in 2001 and yet the controls feel like early 90's and it really hasn't aged well against not just same year games (eg, RTCW) but even against older games like Deus Ex (2000), Thief (1997), or even Doom 1-2 (1993-94) source ports.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Well, I downloaded it a while ago and just fired it up only to be met with a prompt telling me I'm not allowed to rebind certain keys... From what I've found, it looks like I'll need to use Auto-Hotkey just to play this game (didn't like how it played with a controller). Sadly, looks like I'll be requesting a refund. There's absolutely no reason in today's realm of gaming that a developer should hardcode your hotkeys.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
here's absolutely no reason in today's realm of gaming that a developer should hardcode your hotkeys.

This is why i cant game without my G13.
This is also why i curse at logitech each day after they discontinued the product without a successor.
Unless a mechanical G13 comes from logitech soon, i may end up going over to razor as they have a G13 like product.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Well, I stuck around and tried a controller and while the controls are extremely clunky (that's being nice), it's a really fun game. I really wish I could use a keyboard and mouse, but I refuse to learn a whole new control schematic or use a third party program like Auto Hotkey.