ELEX 2 announced

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Announcement trailer (well worth watching and this is coming from someone who hates trailers):
Also note, the song is actually called Elex by Jonathan Davis of Korn. It looks like it was made specifically for this, so we can only hope there's a single coming with the full version of the song.

For anyone who has never played Elex, it's a pretty difficult Gothic-styled game with some fairly janky controls. You are pretty much free to do whatever you want to whoever you want in an expansive world to openly explore. The enemies have static levels so it's really easy to wander into a new area and get completely wrecked by enemies several levels above your own. It also has three factions you can help and ultimately join who all have their own unique set of weapons and bonuses stretching from swords and bow to modern guns and ending with futuristic weaponry. For all the jank the game had to offer, it was actually incredibly fun and the varied skill system and factions paved the way for multiple play-throughs. I highly suggest anyone who loves action RPGs or Gothic-styled games to give it a try (it goes on sale often) because I'm fairly sure I'll be grabbing Elex 2 ASAP.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaaQ

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Cool they are doing it, but for whom???
According to Steam only about 20% of people that have it have finished the first one, is anybody that didn't finish the first one even going to be interested in this one?
As long as you make a save before starting the final mission you don't need and definitely don't want to play it again.
There is no leveling up in the game so you have to pay for better equipment and to upgrade it so you spend all your time farming items you find laying around because killing enemies doesn't give you any experience so why bother and the supplies they drop if you kill them isn't worth the time it takes to kill them, until you are overpowered anyway and don't need them anymore...

If it shows up in a humble bundle I probably get it because I'm a masochist for such games.
Anybody that needs something to tide them over until elex2 should check out outward it's even more hardcore with no fast travel and no saves at all and the same horrible fighting.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't remember even hearing of the first one. I tried two of the Gothic games, and they didn't really do much for me.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Cool they are doing it, but for whom???
The fans obviously. Steam statistics aren't always a good metric since I know many people who install a game and then go offline to play so achievements aren't tracked. Not to mention, I first heard about Elex from a friend on Steam who told me to grab it off GoG since it was far cheaper. It has a mostly positive rating on Steam and there seem to be people still playing regularly. Besides, if THQ Nordic didn't think the first game did well enough, they wouldn't be jumping into a sequel.

As long as you make a save before starting the final mission you don't need and definitely don't want to play it again.
This just isn't true. Sure you can go all the way to the final mission without joining a faction, but you're missing out on so many quests, companions, and upgrades. The general flow of the game sends you to the outlaws pretty early and you hear about the third faction shortly after that so you likely missed out on a ton of quests if you just did a bee-line for the ending, then tried out the different factions. But based on your post, I get the feeling you didn't enjoy the game, so obviously the sequel wouldn't be for you.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
But based on your post, I get the feeling you didn't enjoy the game, so obviously the sequel wouldn't be for you.
I enjoyed it enough to play for about 100hours and get all the achievements, but as I said I'm a masochist when games are concerned, normal gamers would freak out from the beginning and never play it.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I am looking forward to this, I enjoyed ELEX and did finish it (3 times...) on steam so I am part of that subset 20%.

Reactions: Stg-Flame

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Announcement trailer (well worth watching and this is coming from someone who hates trailers):
Also note, the song is actually called Elex by Jonathan Davis of Korn. It looks like it was made specifically for this, so we can only hope there's a single coming with the full version of the song.

For anyone who has never played Elex, it's a pretty difficult Gothic-styled game with some fairly janky controls. You are pretty much free to do whatever you want to whoever you want in an expansive world to openly explore. The enemies have static levels so it's really easy to wander into a new area and get completely wrecked by enemies several levels above your own. It also has three factions you can help and ultimately join who all have their own unique set of weapons and bonuses stretching from swords and bow to modern guns and ending with futuristic weaponry. For all the jank the game had to offer, it was actually incredibly fun and the varied skill system and factions paved the way for multiple play-throughs. I highly suggest anyone who loves action RPGs or Gothic-styled games to give it a try (it goes on sale often) because I'm fairly sure I'll be grabbing Elex 2 ASAP.
do you need to play the first?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
do you need to play the first?
From what I've read so far, it will continue with the story but it also seems that it's much like The Witcher 3 in that you can still play and have fun but there's parts of the story you likely won't understand that well.

It's pretty cheap right now on GoG at 75% off.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I am in a playthrough of Elex right now, and man is it a hard game. I am about 40 hours in and just getting to the point where I feel I can kill something without chugging down 10 health potions and spending 20 minutes running in circles waiting on health or stamina to regen, and that is mostly because I finally get enough stats to wield the poison sword I stole. And by something, I mean like the easiest monsters in the game like giant turkeys and rats. If I get too close to a raptor or a aggressive humanoid I get wrecked in seconds.

I'm somewhere in the low teens in level, and I've run all over the map now simply running away from anything that attacks me or letting my companion tank while I put 50 arrows in it to kill a stupid turkey. I have managed to do most of the quests I've found and I'm about to join the Clerics. I'm hoping that a plasma blaster and some psi powers will even the field a bit, because my hunter bow is worthless.

Having said all that. It is still a good game. I just hope they tone down the combat learning curve just a little bit in the next game.

Reactions: Stg-Flame

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I'm hoping that a plasma blaster and some psi powers will even the field a bit, because my hunter bow is worthless.
No, all weapons you can buy are pretty much useless, very little difference between them.
You have to find one of the hidden weapons in the game world that are very powerful but of curse you need so many stats for them that by the time you can use them you could kill stuff without them as well.