Electronics review

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
So I'm a Comp. Engineer in my junior year and I've had basic circuits and then this past semester I had electronics (op-amps, transistors mostly) and linear systems/signals. I only got a B in electronics and for various reasons I don't think I learned much at all. And op-amps, transistors and there basic applications seem very important.

I've been on a co-op since January and it amazes me how little real-world and applicable knowledge I have of EE. Sure I've learned quite a few things at my co-op but I really wish I knew more. And again its mostly about the circuit design with transistors and whatnot cause I don't really know much about the applications. Like I have a basic idea on common applications like buck converters, linear supplies, class xxx amplifiers (couldnt tell ya the differences tho!) but I think I missed a lot of the basics of solid state devices in electronics and thus have a problem with applications. Though I still have quite a few EE left I feel I should at least get the basics down which would probably come a bit easier since I did afterall get at least a B and usually A in my EE classes (but again, funny how much that REALLY means).

I borrowed a roommates book for Electronics. It was Electronics 2nd edit by Alexander Hambley. Seemed like a pretty decent book.

I'm wondering if I should just order it or some other book in paperback. I got my digital logic books, linear systems, circuits etc but I mostly feel incompetent with the electronics so I think I should brush up a bit.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Yeah that probably would. Seems to have a very similar outline to the book I had for class. I guess just about anyone would have similar topics, but if its presented and focused in a good and useful way (as the one you linked seems to be) it would probably be worth picking up over other books. Plus I'm not at school anymore so no access to a good library.

Guess I'll check addall for some prices!

flawlssdistortn

Sep 21, 2004
Originally posted by: hypn0tik
This will do the trick.
Ahh, I used that book. It's definitely not an easy read, don't open it in front of your TV or on the bus. Make sure you set aside a few hours in a quite place. This book had a few decent practical examples, but I would say it has a heavy emphasis on the theory. And be prepared to memorize A LOT of variables, I think they used up the english and greek alphabet in the field of electrical engineering.

I think the OP is finding that there is a big difference between theoretical academia and the real world. I'm not sure that one can get more real world knowledge in a book, as most books are written by academics. But he's doing the right thing by interning.