Electricity issue

Steve

Lifer
May 2, 2004
www.chicagopipeband.com
Okay, my PC won't turn on when I plug it into the wall outlet at the location I want it at, but plugged into another location it works just fine. And other things plugged into this outlet turn on, including two monitors and a CD duplicator, all on a power strip, plugged into either outlet. So why won't my PC fire up when I plug in on that side of the room, but everything else will?

cirthix

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2004
improper wiring is a possibiligy. neutral/ground being switch around might do such a thing.

Lalakai

Golden Member
Nov 30, 1999
as a test, try plugging in a good power strip first, then plugging pc into the power strip. the voltage comming out of that particular socket might be really variable, and causing your pc power supply to kind'a choke. a good power strip helps stabilize some of the surges that migth be causing you problems.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
crappy power coming through the wall. a UPS should solve your problems.

woowoo

Platinum Member
Feb 17, 2003
Originally posted by: Lalakai
as a test, try plugging in a good power strip first, then plugging pc into the power strip. the voltage comming out of that particular socket might be really variable, and causing your pc power supply to kind'a choke. a good power strip helps stabilize some of the surges that migth be causing you problems.

I really hope you do not believe this.......

(So sad)

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Originally posted by: woowoo
Originally posted by: Lalakai
I really hope you do not believe this.......
(So sad)
LOL. Power strips condition power!? I never knew that!

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
The problem is the neutral and ground being switched. This is ground fault, and some electronics have built in protection for this bad wiring.