Electricians: Question regarding circuit and fuse issue

Nov 5, 2001
Ok, Last winter we bought a new plasma tv. Soon we began blowing fuses on the circuit for our family room. I determined that an outlet in the garage powering our freezer was on the same circuit. I ran a new circuit just for the freezer.

All was fine until summer came. Now we began blowing fuses again. I determined that the previous owner had also branched off the atrtic fan from the family room circuit, so this week I slaved the fan over to the freezer circuit.

We are still blowing the fuse in the family room. It is a 15A circuit. I have the following in the family room that were on when the fuse blew:

42" TV (399W peak)
Tivo (29W)
DVD (assume 10W in standby...not on when blowing fuse)
HT (assume 10W standby)
3 -65W lightbulbs (5 in the room, but only 3 were on when fuse blew)
ceiling fan (60W fan plus approx. 100W lighting)
laptop (75W)
wii (10W on standby)
PS2 (turned off)
lamp (turned off)
several unused outlets

All of the above totals 888W, so about 7.4Amps. Why on earth would this trip a 15A fuse?

Today I pulled every fuse in the panel except the family room and physically verified that every outlet, piece of equipment, and fixture outside the family room was powerless, so I can't find anything else in the house that would be pulling load on the circuit.

Any ideas??? This is driving me nuts. I had initially tried running a circuit just for the TV, since that seems to be the culprit, as we never had any issues before we got it, but the house configuration makes it very difficult to accomplish this, so I'm trying to avoid it.

**UPDATE**

I noticed that the screw in the back of the fuse socket was kind of corroded. Since I had a spare socket, I ran the circuit to that socket and pt everything back together. It has been over an hour, and the fuse that previously would get pretty warm in about 15 minutes is still cool to the touch. Apparently the corrosion was causing a poor connection and was the source of my woes. Thank god I tried this before climbing up into the attic again!

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Never seen a fuse like that. Did you replace it or reset it? Circuit breaker styles can get weak/go bad.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Glass fuses?

edison-base fuses (the one in particular is a mini-breaker like this

All breakers get lazy with age.

Have you tried a new one yet?

I swap[ped it with a like one from a different circuit yesterday just to check. The fuse is less than a year old.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Glass fuses?

I swap[ped it with a like one from a different circuit yesterday just to check. The fuse is less than a year old.

Then it's time to check each outlet on the branch.

One bad connection causes high resistance down the branch.

mattlear

Jun 2, 2000
I wonder if it's the ceiling fan. An electric motor can draw double it's running wattage (well, this site says triple, so I guess you learn something new every day!) when starting.

Electric Motor Requirements

Is the fan on when the circuit trips?

Perhaps one of the outlets has gone bad and is tripping the circuit?

-Matt

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: mattlear
I wonder if it's the ceiling fan. An electric motor can draw double it's running wattage (well, this site says triple, so I guess you learn something new every day!) when starting.

Electric Motor Requirements

Is the fan on when the circuit trips?

Perhaps one of the outlets has gone bad and is tripping the circuit?

-Matt

the fan runs nearly all the time when we're home, and it had been running for quite some time.

Nov 5, 2001
Glass fuses?

so I should verify there is a good connection on each outlet in use, or every outlet?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Glass fuses?

so I should verify there is a good connection on each outlet in use, or every outlet?

Every outlet, the bad connection could be on an used one in the branch.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Remove the service entrance cover panel and place a clamp on ammeter (they call these Amprobes) and see what the draw is on this line.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
A bad connection could be the problem, but I doubt it. I'd guess that there is something else drawing power off that circuit, the mini breaker is going bad, or the ceiling fan is about to take a dump.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Greenman
A bad connection could be the problem, but I doubt it. I'd guess that there is something else drawing power off that circuit, the mini breaker is going bad, or the ceiling fan is about to take a dump.

like I said, I checked EVERY other outlet, fixture, and electrical equipment in the house...nothing had power outside of the family room.

The mini-breaker gets pretty warm to the touch, so I think it's a real load.

The ceiling fan is about 2 years old...

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

Wouldn't a bad connection create more resistance, meaning less current flow? That's the opposite of what would trip the breaker.

I would think that a short circuit or a bad motor would cause something like that.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
so you are blowing fuses, not breakers right? breakers can only leagally run at 80% without tripping, so it would be 12A + or - 10%

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: TheSiege
so you are blowing fuses, not breakers right? breakers can only leagally run at 80% without tripping, so it would be 12A + or - 10%

yeah, but I'm about 55% capacity

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
well as an electrician if i had to guess, ceiling fan would be the biggest problem, oh and switch to CFL already

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Rubycon
Remove the service entrance cover panel and place a clamp on ammeter (they call these Amprobes) and see what the draw is on this line.
I second the suggestion.

Nov 5, 2001
well as an electrician if i had to guess, ceiling fan would be the biggest problem, oh and switch to CFL already

the can lights have floods in them...CFL wouldn't look right. the fan has candelabra-base bulbs...as far as I know, they don't make CFLs in special bases

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

Wouldn't a bad connection create more resistance, meaning less current flow? That's the opposite of what would trip the breaker.

I would think that a short circuit or a bad motor would cause something like that.

like I said, I checked EVERY other outlet, fixture, and electrical equipment in the house...nothing had power outside of the family room.

The mini-breaker gets pretty warm to the touch, so I think it's a real load.

The ceiling fan is about 2 years old...

A bad connection does cause high resistance which causes the warm breaker.

It's not a good situation.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

He's blowing mini breakers, it's a breaker that screws into fuse hole. Also, a 15 amp breaker trips at 15 amps. What you're talking about is design load, which is indeed 80% of the breaker capacity, but not it's trip point.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002

He's blowing mini breakers, it's a breaker that screws into fuse hole. Also, a 15 amp breaker trips at 15 amps. What you're talking about is design load, which is indeed 80% of the breaker capacity, but not it's trip point.

try a 20amp in the same slot... if it blows you have wiring problems.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: sao123

try a 20amp in the same slot... if it blows you have wiring problems.

and if it burns down my house before it blows? ;)