Electrical Engineering jobs pay well?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

matsuhisa

Aug 14, 2002
Originally posted by: DougK62
Originally posted by: matsuhisa
Originally posted by: billgates380
Bling bling, if you can get hired.

not if you consider $50,000 bling bling... my coworkers that recently signed with my company got paid starting $50,000... so i figure it can range from $45,000 to $55,000. that's a realistic range.

Are you single? 50k for a young single person is bling bling in my book.

well you have to think of the money you get after taxes and all the other stuff they pull out of your monthly salary. so basically:
50k/12=$4166.67
thinking conservatively (if you're single, you'll get about 30% from tax/401k stuff)
$4166.67*.3=$2916.67*12=$35,000. i don't think that 35k is that much... can't even buy a bmw m3 with that.

that's my thinking and also you have to take into consideration where you live. i live in LA, CA so $35k isn't all that much... but if you live in wyoming... then it's worth a lot more.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It ranges for bachelors from 50000 to 70000 depending on location. Usually they give you more in Silicon Valley to offset the cost of living.

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
hopefully I picked the right field. 3rd year in....one more to go, I hope.

Yes, a part of me likes engineering, and a part of me wants some bling bling too. Too bad something I really enjoy like ethnic studies pays nicely. Most engineering majors /cs majors I've met are "whores" to the major, they just want payday.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
If you are doing it for the money, you are doing it for the wrong reasons. I know it sounds like a lot of money, but people of the intelligence it takes to be a good EE can make more money and work fewer hours in other fields.

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by: fyleow
Originally posted by: ManSnake
Why do you say that? I'm just an undergrad but I have no trouble finding an EE related job or internship

internship is another story, they don't have to worry about benefits (i.e. vaction pay, 401k, insurance) if you are an intern. ee jobs are closely related to the chip sector and you know chip manufacturers aren't doing well these days, naturally they don't need that many entry-level fresh out of college ee people. a lot of people i know graduated (u of michigan) with good gpa and internship experience in ee last year are still looking for jobs 8 months later!

Well then what is a good field? I've heard that bio tech is the future and Chemistry interests me as well but I like to stick more closely with computers and electronics. My brother graduated recently his major being CS and now he works testing games for 9 bucks an hour
rolleye.gif

No offense, but this has to be your brother's reluctance to move out of the area, or he's not looking hard enough.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
My EE professors always say that nobody likes EE work and if they say they do, they're liars :)

It's a work to live kind of job, not a live to work job :)

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
wow seems like the pay is quite high in the US.... is that for all types of engineers or just EE? How about machine engineers? But it sounds like u get around 30% more before taxes that means like at least 60% more after taxes thats alot especially since living in the US is so damn cheap.... Maybe I should move

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
There's gonna be a huge increase in demand of biomedical engineers in the next 10 years. Plus, it's a cool field and you really have a chance to improve the quality of life for people.

I would like to learn more about biomedical engineering so please elaborate or provide some links to info. I'm beginning to considering med school and was thinking about majoring in biomed engineering.

BruinEd03

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: DougK62
Originally posted by: billgates380
Bling bling, if you can get hired.

not if you consider $50,000 bling bling... my coworkers that recently signed with my company got paid starting $50,000... so i figure it can range from $45,000 to $55,000. that's a realistic range.

Are you single? 50k for a young single person is bling bling in my book.

well you have to think of the money you get after taxes and all the other stuff they pull out of your monthly salary. so basically:
50k/12=$4166.67
thinking conservatively (if you're single, you'll get about 30% from tax/401k stuff)
$4166.67*.3=$2916.67*12=$35,000. i don't think that 35k is that much... can't even buy a bmw m3 with that.

that's my thinking and also you have to take into consideration where you live. i live in LA, CA so $35k isn't all that much... but if you live in wyoming... then it's worth a lot more.

Yeah...but the average salary for most other people is 35k /year ... .BEFORE taxes. :)

-Ed

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Well the brother of a good friend of mine, the brother is four years older, decided to go into EE. He screwed his 3.95GPA up by partying his entire senior year away, failing a few classes, then he didn't start applying until well AFTER he graduated. Kinda neat what drugs and alcohol can do, he had like a dozen football (Division II) and academic scholarship offers, none of which he took. Anyway, he had to settle for ITT, who didn't offer him anything, because the window had expired for all the offers.

But he graduated ITT sum cum laude + valedictorian and all that crap. He had several companies recruiting him, decided on one that he had interned with (I can't remember the name). They sent him to IIRC Purdue for his Masters which ultimately led to a Ph.D.

Good freaking God! Boats, cars, SUV's, motorcycles, ATV's, $300K house in an area where $300K will buy you a lot of home. Sickening.

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool
It ranges for bachelors from 50000 to 70000 depending on location. Usually they give you more in Silicon Valley to offset the cost of living.

That sounds about right for a recent college grad with a BS and no experience...

Keego

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: brunswickite
ya do what u want to do, i am and EE major, but i see it all the time, many of my class mates hate the major and are doing it strictly for the job/pay it will bring them. its sad to see people studying something strictly for these reasons.

I agree.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
let's see, average salary for my uni for EEs right out of graduation was 60k, the highest was 100k...

EEs dont always practice their degrees mind you...

dont get EEs mixed up with CS. EEs are engineers and are trained as engineers. CS majors are not trained as engineers for the most part. I am not knocking CS majors by any means. So many ppl are doing CS cuz they want the money and stuff, and many are just not good at it.

if you want advice, go to www.eetimes.com, their forums are quite good. members there have been EEs for years or whatnot, and can give you ( the EE wannabe) advice.