Electric gloves- Do they really work?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
LINK

when i go skiing, my hands are freezing cold on the lift. (and it's like 1/2 hr on the lift to the top of the slope.)

i have those disposible one day use heat packs. but i plan to go skiing MANY times this season.

Do battery heated gloves work?

Is this a good model? If not, what should i look for in battery heated gloves?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Yes. They have socks like that too.

The electric merkin- not so popular.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Get a pair of inner gloves. They reduce the sweat on your hands, which makes your hands colder on the lifts. With a mix of the inner gloves, regular gloves and a heating pack you can stay out longer.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: potato28
Get a pair of inner gloves. They reduce the sweat on your hands, which makes your hands colder on the lifts. With a mix of the inner gloves, regular gloves and a heating pack you can stay out longer.

are these reusable heating packs? if so, link?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
LOL..

I haven't clicked on the link yet, but it seems to last any decent amount of time, it would need to use a whole boatload of AA batteries. That would be heavy and awkward.. lol

Ah, figures. The only other option would be something like D batteries, which is what they take. That's just as bad, though.. haha.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Yes. They have socks like that too.

The electric merkin- not so popular.

yeah i had some socks like that for hunting.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
If your hands are getting cold, you have crappy gloves. Gloves do not require batteries and heating elements.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Waste of money, unless you have a car battery for any length of time. Get some good gloves.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Analog
Waste of money, unless you have a car battery for any length of time. Get some good gloves.
In all fairness, if you got a couple of the high capacity NiMH D batteries, you may get some decent run times out of them. Assuming they draw like an amp at 3V, you could expect ~8 hours out of a pair of 12,000mAh D cells.

They will still be bulky and awkward compared to any normal pair of gloves, though.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They have those for motorcycles, and they do work, but they run off the 12v battery and you don't have to worry about draining anything. For skiing...I'd just get some chemical heat packs if you really need something. And definitely, definitely get some glove liners. When your hands sweat they will absorb the moisture and they are much easier to dry out than your gloves. I use silk glove liners.

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
What are some good gloves? I've yet to come across a pair at the local sporting goods stores that don't leave my hands numb from cold after shoveling snow.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Never needed that, but I do have some D cell socks that work OK. Those are not for skiing though, they mess up the boot fit too much. I used them whenever I had semi-stationary duties outside.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I've seen them for motorcycle usage and have read that they work but don't have any first hand experience with them.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: OverVolt
I prefer those little chemical things you can pop into gloves that make warmth.

those are 1 time use.

i'm looking for reusable