Election fraud prosecutions

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Acorn submitted 1700+ fraudulent voter registration forms
...that we know of.

County prosecutors charged the six canvassers with one to eight counts each of filing false information on voter registration, and charged a supervisor with providing false information and making a false statement to a public official.

Two of the ACORN workers were also charged in Pierce County with submitting 55 phony registrations.

ACORN canvassers in other states also have been the subject of investigation.

Well, atleast they are prosecuting these losers. I know there was plenty of controversy but that doesn't always mean people will get prosecuted.

Does anyone know what happened to the tire slashers in Milwaukee? Did they ever get prosecuted?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I thought the tire slasher plead out and got away with minor time or community service or something.

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
Originally posted by: senseamp
Was Ken Blackwell ever prosecuted for not counting Democrat votes?

he wasn't and he didn't.

The controversy stemmed from putting bogus restrictions on primary voting mainly aimed at stifling 3rd party candidates. He also was show to own shares in Diebold and that was considered quite stupid with his support of their voting machines. Cuyogha county was incompetent in their use of the machines and it required a manual recount that reversed one close election.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
The defendants, who were paid employees and supervisors of ACORN, the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, concocted the scheme as an easy way to get paid, not as an attempt to influence the outcome of elections, King County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Satterberg said.

That is the most relevant aspect of this story IMO.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Alistar7
The defendants, who were paid employees and supervisors of ACORN, the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, concocted the scheme as an easy way to get paid, not as an attempt to influence the outcome of elections, King County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Satterberg said.

That is the most relevant aspect of this story IMO.

That is one piece of the story, yes. With such massive fraud though, how many slipped through and were fraudulently used? We'll probably never know but dealing with election fraud should be swift and severe. We also need to address the fraud potential in same day voter registration as well as many of the rest of the problems with our current system.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I am more concerned with people who are allowed to vote not having their vote counted.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: senseamp
I am more concerned with people who are allowed to vote not having their vote counted.

I am concerned about both(plus others) since it all goes to the integrity of the process. One is not more important than the other since if there is fraud, then some votes that shouldn't be counted being counted. It accomplishes the same thing - distorts the actual vote count.

I think if we are going to make any changes - all the areas need to be addressed, not just one.

Paper trail - yes (duh) (to prevent over zealous officials from committing fraud)
Photo ID - yes (duh) (to prevent dead people from voting)
verified registration - yes(to prevent multiple registrations)
more polling places - yes(to lessen congestion)
Absentee ballot requests to be handled only by voter and election officials. - yes (to prevent activist fraud)
Mark registration lists with those requesting absentee ballots so if they come in to vote on election day they only cast a provisional ballot.

Plus PROSECUTE those who break election laws and rules.

Any others?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This whole vote fraud song and dance from the repubs is just a lead-in excuse for limiting the electorate. Nothing new, just a rehash of the same Rovian strategy of disenfranchisement...

None of the fraudulent registrations has been shown to have actually voted, so it's really just an issue of making easy money via fraud, emulating the financial elite... on a much smaller scale...

It's also a convenient diversion from the very real issues around insecure electronic voting technology.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
This whole vote fraud song and dance from the repubs is just a lead-in excuse for limiting the electorate. Nothing new, just a rehash of the same Rovian strategy of disenfranchisement...

None of the fraudulent registrations has been shown to have actually voted, so it's really just an issue of making easy money via fraud, emulating the financial elite... on a much smaller scale...

It's also a convenient diversion from the very real issues around insecure electronic voting technology.

:roll:

As I noted above, the fraud was massive and some may have slipped through. As to them being used? Dunno if this particular group had any that were actually used, however we do know that dead people vote so there definately IS a problem with people commiting fraud.

But yeah, keep telling yourself it's the Republican's...:roll:

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

But when the Dems claim voter fraud then its ok.....

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Republicans created electronic voting machines to make up for all the votes for Democrats made by dead people :laugh:

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Stunt
Republicans created electronic voting machines to make up for all the votes for Democrats made by dead people :laugh:

Weren't all those dead people voting for Jimmy Hoffa?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
As I noted above, the fraud was massive and some may have slipped through. As to them being used? Dunno if this particular group had any that were actually used, however we do know that dead people vote so there definately IS a problem with people commiting fraud.

Massive fraud... there are 990,000 registered voters in King County Washington, which makes 1700 fraudulent registrations ~. 017% of the total...

"Massive" applies only in the realm of sensationalization for an agenda...

Dead people vote? Really? How many, where and when?

And this nifty bit of innuendo-

So what? Did they find anything? Probably not, so why mention it, other than as an application of slime?

Methinks our friends on the Right are using the usual facts not in evidence routine to pump a little sunshine up our skirts...

One more solution in search of a problem...

Talk to me about the Ohio Sec of State trying to reject registration forms because they weren't on the right kind of paper... or the state of Florida Purging the rolls of felons with names like Dave Smith... or the retirement capital of America, Arizona, making it tough for disabled seniors to vote because they don't have picture ID...

For voter fraud to have much of an effect on any election would require it to be truly huge, which is something that can't be said for measures that are the modern equivalent of poll taxes or for insiders to tap a few keys on election night to flip an election the direction they want...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Massive fraud... there are 990,000 registered voters in King County Washington, which makes 1700 fraudulent registrations ~. 017% of the total...

So what? Did they find anything? Probably not, so why mention it, other than as an application of slime?

Methinks our friends on the Right are using the usual facts not in evidence routine to pump a little sunshine up our skirts...

Talk to me about the Ohio Sec of State trying to reject registration forms because they weren't on the right kind of paper... or the state of Florida Purging the rolls of felons with names like Dave Smith... or the retirement capital of America, Arizona, making it tough for disabled seniors to vote because they don't have picture ID...

For voter fraud to have much of an effect on any election would require it to be truly huge, which is something that can't be said for measures that are the modern equivalent of poll taxes or for insiders to tap a few keys on election night to flip an election the direction they want...

I'd consider almost 1800 fraudulent registrations in one area massive - yes.

:roll: disabled seniors can't vote because they don't have an ID? Then how the hell do they get to do anything else? This is such a weak argument by you leftists. There are many things that require a photo ID so this is not a "burden" or other such thing. I do believe that couties and states were willing to provide photo ID's for free to address the one or two people the photo ID requirement might affect.

Ah, so it's ok for some fraud to take place but not other types? I am for REAL election reform - not a partial fix to address some conspiracy notion.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY

I'd consider almost 1800 fraudulent registrations in one area massive - yes.

:roll: disabled seniors can't vote because they don't have an ID? Then how the hell do they get to do anything else? This is such a weak argument by you leftists. There are many things that require a photo ID so this is not a "burden" or other such thing. I do believe that couties and states were willing to provide photo ID's for free to address the one or two people the photo ID requirement might affect.

Ah, so it's ok for some fraud to take place but not other types? I am for REAL election reform - not a partial fix to address some conspiracy notion.

It shouldn't be a burden to vote. Adding another restriction to voting would make our system even less democratic than it is today.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Hacp
It shouldn't be a burden to vote. Adding another restriction to voting would make our system even less democratic than it is today.

Presenting a photo ID isn't a "burden" - especially if they are offered for free to those who do not presently have a photo ID.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

Presenting a photo ID isn't a "burden" - especially if they are offered for free to those who do not presently have a photo ID.

More time wasted. But you do make a point. It is hard to reform our election system without putting undue burden on voters.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Who actually offers them for free? And what sort of proof is required to obtain one? How many trips will it take to the DMV or where ever?

I went thru all this rigamarole with my 82 year old father in law a few years ago- Took him to the place to get ID and register to vote... the ID was easy, but the registration wasn't. His former Oregon ID, his current colorado ID, credit cards, statements, insurance card, SS card- none of it was good enough- we had to send to his birthplace in Oklahoma to get a birth certificate, which is as bogus a piece of ID as I've ever seen- anybody can get anybody's birth certificate- in order for him to register...

Lots of people live their lives w/o current picture ID- seniors often do. Their SS check is direct deposit, and they use their credit cards for purchases and to obtain cash in the checkout line- the only checks they write are to the landlord and the CC company, and they don't care about ID... they don't have to re-register for that stuff, but they do in order to vote under some new state regs...

Deliberately disenfranching people, probably tens of thousands, is a small price to pay to make sure that a voting machine employee can just flip their vote and thousands of others with a few keystrokes, anyway, right?

So, uhh, what about those dead voters? I'm sure you can back up that assertion with real evidence of it being a widespread problem, right? Or did three dead guys vote in Chicago 40 years ago?

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
I'm not sure if this will actually proceed as 'Election Fraud', as in order for it to be so a vote would have to be cast fradulently.
This is Voter Registration Fraud in an attemp to be paid more 'bounty' for getting alledged voters to sign up.

Now then, if one of those people who had been registered did show up and vote - at the correct precint, that would be a valid vote,
providing they had received a Voter Card in the mail, and voted according to their own intents.

If somebody elsae showed up, with fake identification, and tried to vote, or attempted to vote multiple times under various names,
THAT would be the Voter Fraud, and should be prosecuted accordingly.

This most likely will end up as an extortion for money type of issue, the benefit was for the individual's personal financial gain.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
To hacp and jhhnn -
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d...INION01/707230327/1008

READ!
seniors, the disabled and the poor may obtain photo ID from the secretary of state's office for free.
In Michigan.

"Undue burden".... :roll:
The question is not price, its time. Some people don't have the patience to waste X amount of time.
Then don't vote. If you don't have enough time to get a valid ID then you don't have enought time to look over the issues either.

People in Afghanistan and Iraq are risking their lives to vote and Americans can't spare a few hours to get an ID so they can vote? How pathetic of an arguement that is.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Wow! Photo ID is free in Michigan! Just 49 more states to go, CSG... 49 more...

So, uhh, what about those dead voters, or do you want that issue to simply die, itself?

"we do know that dead people vote."

How do you know that? Did Rush say so? Or did you misunderstand some quip about his brain-dead followers voting?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Wow! Photo ID is free in Michigan! Just 49 more states to go, CSG... 49 more...

So, uhh, what about those dead voters, or do you want that issue to simply die, itself?

"we do know that dead people vote."

How do you know that? Did Rush say so? Or did you misunderstand some quip about his brain-dead followers voting?

Georgia has it too. Multiple others have been considering it or have already adopted similar legislation.

Unfortunately here in Iowa the liberals have allowed us to go backwards in election reform by forcing through a same day registration fiasco. No ID necessary.

Dead people voting for you deniers.

Next BS excuse jhhnn?