Election 2000 --- More food for thought

Format C:

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Found this on the web...

<< STREISAND BLASTS BUSH; DECLARES FUTURE OF NATION HANGS IN BALANCE

SingerDirectorProducerMotherWifeCitizen Barbra Streisand turns political in an interview set to air just days before the US presidential election.

The session, taped with ABC's Barbra Walters, is in its finial editing stages and will be unleashed on Friday's 20/20 broadcast.

In the interview, according to sources, Streisand defends Bill and Hillary Clinton, blasts Republicans who impeached the president, and warns the nation that George W. Bush, if elected, would &quot;reverse&quot; progress made by women in the 20th Century.

&quot;There is so much at stake!&quot; Streisand declares on ABC.

It is not clear if ABCNEWS will offer the Bush campaign on-air time to respond to Streisand.

MORE

In recent weeks Streisand explained to her fans why they should vote for Gore:

&quot;The first three reasons to vote for Al Gore are: The Supreme Court? The Supreme Court? The Supreme Court! Our whole way of life is at stake when you consider that the next President will make three or even four appointments during his term.

&quot;I find it hard to believe that some people say there's no difference between the two parties in this election. I worry that people might not vote in their own self interest because they're fooled by empty words and false promises.

&quot;I shudder when I think of how a more conservative court could put at risk all the things we hold dear: our civil rights, women's rights, disability rights, privacy rights, consumer rights, workers' rights and reproductive rights. I, for one, don't want to return to the days before Roe vs Wade, when women had no control over their own bodies!

&quot;Let's face it, this is a war against bigotry, against discrimination of any kind, racial, religious or sexual orientation. We need justices who will insure our rights and not turn the clock back on decades of social progress.

&quot;Another big reason to vote for Al Gore. There is no one stronger on the environment. I'm so fortunate to wake up every morning and look out over the Pacific Ocean. It looks so beautiful. And yet, it's frightening to think that so many beaches are closed due to contaminated water. Our coastal waters, our drinking water, the soil in which we grow our food, the very air we breathe - must be protected.

&quot;Al Gore warned us about this years ago in his book where he talked about preserving our planet and keeping the earth in balance.

&quot;He knows that we're being faced with what could be the greatest challenge of the 21st century: Global Warming - which many republican leaders dismiss as a myth?ignoring the overwhelming scientific evidence that there's a hole in the ozone layer?the ice caps are melting, the summers are getting hotter, winters more severe, then there's the rains, the floods, the fires, the hurricanes, the tornadoes, the bugs, the viruses?some myth.

&quot;Our children and their children must not inherit the consequences of environmental neglect. We've made real progress in the last eight years, but not enough.

&quot;Something else: Al Gore must be in the White House to protect us from the chemical industry polluters and the oil interests, whose profits have enriched Bush and Cheney at the expense of the American people.

&quot;Look at what they've given Texas. It's true, the great state of Texas under the leadership of George W. Bush has ranked first in many things: it's first in toxic air pollution, first in water pollution, first in total residents without health insurance?first in number of gun shows?first in executions - he also took the largest surplus in Texas history and turned it into a budget shortfall by giving a massive tax cut to the wealthy at the expense of the most vulnerable.

&quot;This is what George W. Bush did for Texas as Governor. Just think what he could do for America as President.

&quot;We know what Bill Clinton and Al Gore did for America. They gave us the greatest expansion of economic prosperity in our lifetime. And while I'm not a gambler, this much I know?.you don't change the dice when you're on a roll.&quot;
>>

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
And what Barbara Streisand says means more than what any schmuck on the street says because.....

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Of course the democrats are concerned about the Supreme Court - it's the mechanism they use to make new &quot;laws&quot; when they can't get things through Congress.

Barbra, as a political analyst, you're a great singer.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
FormatC, why even post that crap, every point she tries to makes has been proven false in earlier threads.

Anyone know how many times STREISAND has slept in the Lincoln bedroom?

ToBeMe

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
Oh, that's nice......what's up for today? Jennifer's endorsement followed by Paula's &amp; Monica's?:D

Format C:

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
What? Do you mean that BS doesn't know what she's talking about? I thought she was a shining example for Gore supporters everywhere. Hmmmpf!

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< Of course the democrats are concerned about the Supreme Court - it's the mechanism they use to make new &quot;laws&quot; when they can't get things through Congress. >>

Don't forget abuse of the presidential executive order. I can think of at least one president in recent memory who has used executive orders in a most frivilous manner.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< He knows that we're being faced with what could be the greatest challenge of the 21st century: Global Warming >>

Ah, yes, the poster child for junk science.

Russ, NCNE

ICyourNipple

Oct 9, 2000
all i gotta say is vote Libertarian. get the government out of our business and give the power and money back to the people.

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
Dear Out of Touch Hollywood Personality:

Mr./Mrs./Ms. (Circle all that applies) ________________, it would be greatly appreciated if you actually left your little sheltered life in Malibu/Hollywood/Seattle/Other Liberal Wasteland to see just what happens in the real world before you decide that the public actually cares about your opinion. Maybe after you realize that what happens on stage is not what actually happens to people, you can form your own intelligent (hard when you're a grade/middle/high school dropout) opinions and keep them to yourself so you don't look like an ass.

Yours Truly,

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Russ, although you may be a sucessful business man and computer tech. You probably know jacksh8t about modern science. So just STFU on global warming. The republicans will want to disprove global warming by hiring ex-tobacco scientists for the study.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Pennstate

So who the hell are you to tell Russ or anyone else to STFU! Global warming is a theory at best, more like an opinion. There is no real hard data that supports it so you STFU. I don't have a link to any data but global temperatures have changed all through out the history of this planet. There were times when the average temperature steadily rose for a period and then dropped for no apparent reason. This planet is constantly in a state of flux so using temperature data over the past few decades to support a theory is bunk and &quot;bad&quot; science. Liberals use this type of &quot;science&quot;, and I use the term loosely, to fit their agenda.

You are obviously one of those liberal &quot;doomsday&quot; scientists who also bought into the &quot;hole in the ozone layer&quot; crap of yesteryear. Remember the poor ozone layer. You use to hear something on the news almost every night about it, or at least one a week. Then all of a sudden that big &quot;hole&quot; slammed shut just like your anal sphincter does when you jump in a cold pool, well it didn't close it just got incredibly small. Amazingly enough none of the doomsayers had a comment after that. Instead of trying to find a reason they just clammed up, God forbid they be proven wrong (typical liberal reaction), they just moved on to the next cause!!!

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Tell me where it said the ozone hole slammed shut???? Are you a fvcking science major by any chance? I can't believe people like you who actually believes what GW say about science. Crack open a book you brain-dystrophic fool.

Format C:

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I find it to be the epitome of arrogance and self importance for anyone to even remotely entertain the possibility that mankind, short of unleashing a nuclear holocaust perhaps, could affect the climate of the entire planet. Those who think otherwise should diligently search for a seemingly rare commodity these days. Common sense. The earth has survived much much more than a few combustion engines and smokestacks could ever throw at it and has done quite nicely without anyone championing its protection.

Perhaps those who subscribe so vehemently to such a protective Mother Earth philosophy are somewhat lacking in the nurture department. They have a &quot;need&quot; to feel that a hunk of dirt and rock is their loving protector and they its guardian. Reminds me very much of what many people have said about religion.

Lest anyone mistake my reason for posting the original quotes, I found them to be laughable and amusing and thought some of you might enjoy them as much as I did. :)

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
I won't waste my time arguing her views. I just need to say this*:

To anyone who bases his vote on what a Hollywood celebrity says, please don't vote. You lack the mental power to make an informed decision, so we'd all be better off if you'd just sit the election out. While you're at it, get in touch with me, and I'll raise the money to have you sterilized; for damn sure we don't need people of your intelligence level reproducing.

*not directed at anyone in particular.

nickdakick

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000

<< women had no control over their own bodies! >>

Do they now ? ;)

Well at least in some situations, hehehehehe. ;)

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999

<< ..control over their own bodies... >>

That is the most pathetic argument I've ever heard. If the woman would exert some control over her body in the first place, there would be no problem.

Bleeding heart liberals make me sick to my stomach.

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
http://www.cnn.com/2000/NATURE/10/10/ozone.hole.enn/
http://www.cnn.com/2000/NATURE/10/06/ozone.hole.ap/
http://www.sciam.com/news/100400/1.html

Format C:, I knnow we had our differences before, I know you will be tempted to take shots at me whenever you can. (although YOu may hide the shots in your literary skills :) ) However it would be VERY VERY FOOLISH to take the Republican approach to the environmental problem -- Ignorance. We do not protect the environment to protect earth. We do it to protect ourselves!!! If you live in Chile where parts of the country are under the hole, you would really wished you had done something earlier. Prevention is the best defense agaist natural disasters. I rather error on the safe side. Would you?

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
I am not saying Science is always correct. But we are not taking a blind stab here. The fact that the republican leadership refuses to acknowledge the urgency of this situation is insane!

Format C:

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
On the contrary Pennstate. I don't even know what the Republicans stance on the environment is. I know what mine is. I simply do not believe that we, mankind, have either caused or can repair this supposed hole. Its discovery is only roughly 15 years old. There has not been nearly enough time for proper scientific study and evaluation much less understanding. It seems to me that the &quot;hole's&quot; mere existence has been a beacon for all those who would shout the sky is falling. For all we know the process could be a completely natural and even healthy phenomena. Too much emotion, too little science.

I found one article that attempts to explain why the &quot;hole&quot; is there. He unwittingly has stumbled upon a possible solution also, though he apparently doesn't realize it...

Hole

The solution is quite simple. Nuke Antarctica so that it looks more like the Arctic. ;) Would that be reactionary enough for ya?