Elder Scrolls Online release date 4-4-14

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Damn...didn't logged for the past 2 weeks...i'm starting to feel I won't in a long time...
I really need to get back to it...

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
My Altitis has completely destroyed my ability to level in this game. Highest level toon is a 27 breton templar :D

Currently hooked on a lvl 16 sword & board redgaurd DK

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
My Altitis has completely destroyed my ability to level in this game. Highest level toon is a 27 breton templar :D

Currently hooked on a lvl 16 sword & board redgaurd DK

Same problem here, though my main is a little higher at level 38. Still really enjoying ESO, though when I launched Skyrim for a trip down memory lane this weekend I was rudely reminded of how un-Elder Scrollsy ESO really is. ESO is an MMO through and through with some Elder Scrolls paint thrown on top. In real Elder Scrolls games, the main character is the world around you - Skyrim, Morrowind, Cyrodil... the world is the main attraction. Sure, there are quests and plenty of them, but mostly I walk around exploring and encountering "stuff". It's not a point A to point B game, not even close.

Unfortunately that's all ESO is. It's probably the very best point A to point B game that I've played, and it's far better than other MMO's that I've played. I really enjoy the soft trinity combat system and the skill/build systems, in particular. Great game, but it's not Elder Scrolls.

Last point on this, in real ES games I spend very little time actually talking and interacting with NPC's. In ESO, it often feels like that's ALL THAT I DO... for the most part. Run here, talk to this guy, run back to talk to this guy... okay, that quest is finished so run here and talk to this guy...etc. The worst part is stumbling into a town, but because I didn't talk to the quest giver who is standing at the "official" entrance to the town (I took a back way in because I'm playing it like Skyrim) I therefore am now wasting my time fighting mobs until I go talk to the NPC and get the quest. Worse yet, I wouldn't even realize that said NPC even exists except for the fact the quest system is so damn formulaic at this point that simply looking at the map explains everything.

Anyway, still a fun game. Very excited about reaching veteran ranks and maybe running Craglorn at some point. :)

Last edited:

fstime

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2004
Well, I decided to not renew my subscription for next month.

I feel like they released a game with no real end-game content. This is my first MMO type game, so I am not experience with this genre.

Simply put, I just feel burned out after finishing the VR quest lines with no driving force to keep playing.

I hope they introduce more worthwhile content in the future to bring players back.

asteldian

Nov 25, 2013
I've no doubt they will be bringing out plenty of stuff. Their big flaw was the VR grind, they have realised it was not a wise move. By the time people grind through to get to Craglorn they are already burned out. If Craglorn was for VR1 onwards it would have been much better with a whole zone of 4 man content to do and then trials too. While the other zones would still be available for lvling if people wanted to/prefer to run alone.

Still, I am VR2 and having fun, but then I am not trying to get anywhere fast so the slow xp i not an issue for me (yet).

The usual MMO routine is:
Release - BUg fixing, bug fixing, bug fixing - new content to try appease the fast lvlers , or content locusts as they are fondly named(never really works but buys a bit of time) - class/combat balancing, bug fixing - new content

Bug fixing and balancing are actually on going, but the first balance pass is usually the big overhaul if required (and it is required, not so much for the classes which just need tweaks, but the whole stamina vs magicka and weapons needs a big change up)

Really the balance overhaul and the next new content will be the make or break for the game. Trials were all good and fun, but you need a more traditional lock out timer type raid with nice loot to keep the real end gamers busy, and you need to make it silly hard too and nerf it later in life for when your more typical player is ready for it

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
First large patch/expansion hits for free today/tomorrow depending on your location.

Were they planning on charging for each patch? It's pretty normal for subscription MMOs to have content patches on a regular basis... that's why you pay a subscription.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Were they planning on charging for each patch? It's pretty normal for subscription MMOs to have content patches on a regular basis... that's why you pay a subscription.

Its also quite normal to charge.

However the patch/expansion have more or less been a complete disaster... :(

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I finally cancelled my sub to this game. Loved it for the main story line. Lots of things to love, but it came down to value for my subscription dollars. This or Wildstar. Wildstar just has in my opinion more bang for the buck offering for my subscription money. ESO has been working on bugs, but they were really behind the curve at launch for bugs, bots, and balance problems. They still have the class du-jour setup of the DK. DK >>>>>> everything else in this game and has been that way since earl beta.

Had fun, and might revisit the game in 6 months when they've shaken out the rest of the bugs that have been around since early beta and the substantial balance problems.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Its also quite normal to charge.

However the patch/expansion have more or less been a complete disaster... :(

Yah, was watching a video of someone soloing the Craglorn VR dungeon as a DK.... that was enough to make me cancel my subscription as the final straw.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I'm having the opposite situation with my templar. I spent some gold a couple weeks back to respec and focused on healing. Then I go looking for people needing help or hit some of the group public dungeons and heal. HoTs and one group heal is a lot of fun. Finally found a game that has a true healing line.

asteldian

Nov 25, 2013
Luckily I am still having fun and the issues ESO has do not yet effect me - I am not end gaming it yet as I am VR 3, while staves, light armour and DK is/was the ideal way to go (patch 1.2 has more nerfs for them) this is an issue for PvE end game as all the clases and any build style works fine for the journey.

I don't see myself leaving anytime too soon, I always give a game 3 months post release before I truly judge it and they look to be moving in the right direction. Course it also helps I have no other game worth going to atm, I wish Wildstar all the best, but its graphic style makes my eyes bleed so it won't be for me

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
So today was a late day at work, hit up el'Taco Bell for some dinner snacks on the way home. Standing just inside the door by the condiment stand while perusing the menu and hear a very non-masculine voice behind me say something about getting into the Elder Scroll Beta. I was somewhat intrigued by this right up to the point where I turned my head a bit and saw what should have been about 6 ladies...but there were only 2 if you know what I mean.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
So today was a late day at work, hit up el'Taco Bell for some dinner snacks on the way home. Standing just inside the door by the condiment stand while perusing the menu and hear a very non-masculine voice behind me say something about getting into the Elder Scroll Beta. I was somewhat intrigued by this right up to the point where I turned my head a bit and saw what should have been about 6 ladies...but there were only 2 if you know what I mean.

What the... Did you post this six months ago and the forum just sucked it in to a black hole from which it only just now escaped?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
The game sure went fast down the drain. And only due to the developers or lack of same.

All the massive balance issues, bugs and so on could at least be fixed. Even with their skeleton crew because they moved everyone to the console port.

However the idiotic idea of letting the client make all the decisions is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. It may work fine on consoles and it may have been the shortcut for a megaserver. However the amount of cheat you can do is astronomical. You can even directly add XP and gold to your character, instant heal without using any abilities. Change stats and so on. Everything is calculated and decided by the client.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
The game sure went fast down the drain. And only due to the developers or lack of same.

All the massive balance issues, bugs and so on could at least be fixed. Even with their skeleton crew because they moved everyone to the console port.

However the idiotic idea of letting the client make all the decisions is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. It may work fine on consoles and it may have been the shortcut for a megaserver. However the amount of cheat you can do is astronomical. You can even directly add XP and gold to your character, instant heal without using any abilities. Change stats and so on. Everything is calculated and decided by the client.

starting to understand zenimax yet?

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Anyone playing this game lately? I hadn't played since beta but picked it up for $11 on cdkeys so giving it a try. I am enjoying it so far. Not sure how much has changed since this thread started, but I like the mechanics and quests. Crafting feels useful and rewarding, and the graphics have held up well.

If anyone has a guild going I might be interested in joining soon.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Anyone playing this game lately? I hadn't played since beta but picked it up for $11 on cdkeys so giving it a try. I am enjoying it so far. Not sure how much has changed since this thread started, but I like the mechanics and quests. Crafting feels useful and rewarding, and the graphics have held up well.

If anyone has a guild going I might be interested in joining soon.

I enjoyed the game mostly when I played it for the first month after release. Was pretty easy back then to reach max level in a month. The main problem I had with the game back then was the poor PVP that was basically the only thing left to do once reaching maxing level at the time. I haven't gone back to the game though since I last played it that first month. Sure there has been some updates at least.