Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion and the 6800

ng12345

Jan 23, 2005
I have a 2405fpw and an nvidia 6800 with 256mb along with 1gb ddr2 ram

i can't even play the game at 1900x1200 without crazy lag; so i brought it down to 1600x900 but it still lags when i'm outside where its drawing lots of grass; or if i'm in the middle of a crazy battle.

i was wondering if anyone knew of some good tips or a good site that goes into detail about tweaks to improve performance without sacrificing excess quality -- or is my gfx card just too weak for this game?

thanks

Bobthelost

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Turn down the details, your graphics card can't run this game at normal resolutions with all that much eyecandy on. Let alone at monster resolution.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
Tweaks

More Tweaks <-use this one to (hopefully) have not as much studdering

(also second link I think has more performance tweaks)

And turn down the settings. Try not using HDR?

Nextman916

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2005
you really need to upgrade you current vc, didnt you consider that you have to upgrade every generation when you bought your 2045fpw? You would actually have to run sli to get games looking purdy again at that resolution. Really even with all the tweaks your still going to have to drop the resolution further and run just about everything on low.....crippling the whole experience of oblivion. You should consider selling your monitor if you cant keep upgrading your hardware, or upgrade now and further to do so.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
telling people to upgrade when they want improvements is so gay, just help the guy out

my suggestion is go to a lower resolution, dont play with AA on, or HDR, AF u can do some like 8x or less... lower texture resolution because you have DDR1 on ur card... lower some details to improve your performance, you should be able to play mid settings fine

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: BassBomb
telling people to upgrade when they want improvements is so gay, just help the guy out

my suggestion is go to a lower resolution, dont play with AA on, or HDR, AF u can do some like 8x or less... lower texture resolution because you have DDR1 on ur card... lower some details to improve your performance, you should be able to play mid settings fine

It's not gay... it doesn't even have a sexual preference.

Tangerines

Oct 20, 2005
How well does a 6800NU 256MB run Oblivion anyway? I plan on getting Oblivion soon, so it'd be nice to know.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Tangerines
How well does a 6800NU 256MB run Oblivion anyway? I plan on getting Oblivion soon, so it'd be nice to know.

It all depends on the resolution and detail settings you use. At 1920x1280 with HDR and 16XAF with everything set to max and the 4096x4096 texture pack and LOD tweaks it'll probably run at about 5 frames per second.

At 800x600 with no HDR, no AA, and 4X or 8XAF with grass turned off it'll probably be above 30 FPS the majority of the time.

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
Get an ATI card if all you care about is oblivion performance. THey have a major advantage. Especially in the foliage. The 6800nu drops like a bomb while the X1600 pro beat it I think... odd but... Are you using AGP or Pcie

aweigh

Dec 9, 2005
You shouldn't've bought a moniter with a crazy native res like that if you didn't have the video card to back it up. After carefully reading both tweakguides posted avoe, turn down the settings and play at 1024x768, no HDR, no shadows and no anti-aliasing. Should run fine then.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
I suggest ATI X1800XT for $269 AR and sell your current card. You can't expect to run a last-last generation card with a monitor that needs 1920x1200 to look good. Only way you're getting acceptable performance is maybe 1680x1050 or so, Medium, all the optimizations you can find, grass turned way down........

Nextman916

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2005
Originally posted by: BassBomb

WOW if its so "gay" then i wonder why everyone is recommending him a new video card. I was just being honest that running the game wouldnt be possible at his desired resolution or anything close. People here realize as well so we are doing him a favor by recommending an upgrade. Anyways you dont seem to know anything about the market with your BFG 6600gt which was just about the worst bang for the buck during its generation. And yes i am personally attacking your rig. :)

ng12345

Jan 23, 2005
Well ... my main reason for the monitor is not to play games
Also I don't really play computer games all that often ... so warranting a $300 purchase for one game isn't really worth it (yet)
I was wondering how to get the most out of the game with what I have

Wizboy thanks for your links -- that was basically the answer I was looking for

I get pretty stable framerates at 1600x900 with whatever options I have on (HDR is on) unless its a gfx heavy area (as stated in orig post) -- I guess I was looking more for ways to improve performance there.

Thanks for all the help and quick replies though

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I just replaced a 6800GT with an X1900XTX & the difference is incredible .. IQ & framerates are so much faster its unreal. Even at 1024x768 the GT was brought to its knees during combat in foilage areas... I'd say any upgraded video card is a very good suggestion.

Alaa

Apr 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Extelleron
I suggest ATI X1800XT for $269 AR and sell your current card. You can't expect to run a last-last generation card with a monitor that needs 1920x1200 to look good. Only way you're getting acceptable performance is maybe 1680x1050 or so, Medium, all the optimizations you can find, grass turned way down........

Originally posted by: Praxis1452
Get an ATI card if all you care about is oblivion performance. THey have a major advantage. Especially in the foliage. The 6800nu drops like a bomb while the X1600 pro beat it I think... odd but... Are you using AGP or Pcie

Keep suggesting ATi cards in topics that are asking for help!..do u understand wut is he asking for? ATi fans are messing with the vid forum..stay on topic plz

orangat

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2004
Originally posted by: ng12345
I have a 2405fpw and an nvidia 6800 with 256mb along with 1gb ddr2 ram

i can't even play the game at 1900x1200 without crazy lag; so i brought it down to 1600x900 but it still lags when i'm outside where its drawing lots of grass; or if i'm in the middle of a crazy battle.

i was wondering if anyone knew of some good tips or a good site that goes into detail about tweaks to improve performance without sacrificing excess quality -- or is my gfx card just too weak for this game?

thanks

lol 1900x1200 with a 6800? Try 800x600 instead. Oblivion is not a nice game for budget boxes.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Alaa

Originally posted by: Praxis1452

Keep suggesting ATi cards in topics that are asking for help!..do u understand wut is he asking for? ATi fans are messing with the vid forum..stay on topic plz

What else do you want me to tell him? He isnt getting 1920x1200 on a 6800, plain and simple. I'm suggesting him an X1800XT because it's far cheaper than nVidia's counterpart (7900GT, $300+), and performs almost as well as the 7900GTX in Oblivion.

Alaa

Apr 26, 2005
you can suggest it when ppl ask for upgrade..plz stay on topic as much as u can..recommend ATi, be a fan of it--in the RIGHT topic

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
you can suggest it when ppl ask for upgrade..plz stay on topic as much as u can..recommend ATi, be a fan of it--in the RIGHT topic

Regardless what you say, it is going to be impossible for this guy to get what he wants WITHOUT an upgrade. Would it be better to recommend him a 7900GT, though in Oblivion it'll be far slower?

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004

Regardless what you say, it is going to be impossible for this guy to get what he wants WITHOUT an upgrade. Would it be better to recommend him a 7900GT, though in Oblivion it'll be far slower?

This is exactly true. A 6800nu simply isn't enough video card to play Oblivion on a 2405FPW, no matter what tweaks you do. The X1800XT is a much better choice, however, it might still not be all that playable on a 2405FPW at native resolution.

btw Alaa: turning this thread into a flame session with Extelleron (like you did hans007's yesterday) isn't going to help this thread any. So far your post is the only one that doesn't offer a single shred of advice for the OP. Maybe you should stick to the topic...

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
Originally posted by: nitromullet

This is exactly true. A 6800nu simply isn't enough video card to play Oblivion on a 2405FPW, no matter what tweaks you do. The X1800XT is a much better choice, however, it might still not be all that playable on a 2405FPW at native resolution.

btw Alaa: turning this thread into a flame session with Extelleron (like you did hans007's yesterday) isn't going to help this thread any. So far your post is the only one that doesn't offer a single shred of advice for the OP. Maybe you should stick to the topic...

Yes, even the X1800XT might not. I'd have to say, if using a 2405 in Oblivion, the only way you're getting maximum performance is 7900GTX SLI or X1900 Crossfire- 1920x1200 in Oblivion is far too harsh on a single card.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Yes, even the X1800XT might not. I'd have to say, if using a 2405 in Oblivion, the only way you're getting maximum performance is 7900GTX SLI or X1900 Crossfire- 1920x1200 in Oblivion is far too harsh on a single card.

Even the X1900XTX has a tough time at certain spots at 1680x1050. Overall though, it plays Oblivion quite well with HDR + 2xAA/8xAF. 4xAA/16xAA really bog it down outdoors though. I just don't see a 6800nu and a 2405FPW working out too well, no matter how you tweak it though.

Alaa

Apr 26, 2005

i didnt say wut should u recommend..i said u shudnt recommend anything if he doesnt ask..or it wud be better if u first ask him if he can upgrade or not and how much can he pay..not to start ur first post with X1800!!

for nitromullet: am not turning it to a flame am trying to make ppl stay on topic..the one who created the topic seems to be fine now anyway..no point in telling me to stick to the topic!!

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005

i didnt say wut should u recommend..i said u shudnt recommend anything if he doesnt ask..or it wud be better if u first ask him if he can upgrade or not and how much can he pay..not to start ur first post with X1800!!

for nitromullet: am not turning it to a flame am trying to make ppl stay on topic..the one who created the topic seems to be fine now anyway..no point in telling me to stick to the topic!!

The OP asked in his original post if he would have to get a new card to play it well on his 2405FPW, and I just told him "yes", and gave him a good upgrade choice. The bottom line should be, if you can afford $800~ on a monitor, you can at least afford $270~ for a card, or even $800-900~ for a top of the line dual setup.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Of course the game is playable at 1920x1200 or resolutions along those lines on his current card. He will simply have to turn most of, if not all quality effects down. Including the grass.