imported_FSUJosh79

May 26, 2004
I am not that tech savy so please excuse me if that NTFS post was not enough.

I encrypted some pictures using EFS.
I moved them to another hard drive (D:) and they were sitll encrypted.
I had to reformat my C: Drive and all of my music and pictures (stuff I keep on D:)were left untouch.
Is there anyway that I will ever be able to see them again? lol

I am using XP professional. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Josh

Tantric69

May 25, 2004
I'm looking EFS decrypting tools for WinXP Pro.
Somebody knows Passware EFS Key?
And Advanced EFS Data Recovery?

maybe a "free limit" version?

Thanks a lot!
Francesco
Florence - Italy

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
The "Advanced EFS Data Recovery" tool would be worthless in this situation.

From the website, grammatical errors and all:
The program can decrypt protected files only if encryption keys (at least some of them) are still exist in the system and have not been tampered.

The other one that you mention looks like it would have the same problem, since it has a requirement of the password of the user that encrypted the files. That's probably so it can decrypt the private key, which if you format the C: drive no longer exists.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
Just restore the encryption key you backed up.

Damn, you had me laughing out load at work here. My coworkers gave me some strange looks. Of coure when I showed them this thread they all got a big laught out of it...except the dude that's done this before :D

And yes, I AM working, but builds can take a while.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Buy R-studio, and try to recover the key from the formatted drive. I have no idea where it's stored though; if it's less than 64KB, the demo version of R-studio will recover it. Otherwise, you pay money to get the file back.
At least try the demo to see if it can even find the file at all.

But at this point, you may have formatted the only key to an unpickable lock. R-studio may be able to retrieve the key.

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
The key would be located in c:\documents and settings\<user_profile>\application data\microsoft\crypto\rsa\<user_sid>

Good luck.