Eee PC's

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
my boss has one.

it's neat and we've given thought to buying a couple to have in the office to, say, easily talk with someone via messenger or read an email/ticket while working on a server in the racks.

but it's nothing I have any use for in my own life.

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Most consumers would probably want to wait for HP's 2133. Just like the Eee, but better.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I have a 4G one. Installed an nlited xp on it (140mb install file) from a usb key. Bought 2gigs of memory and a 4g SDHC card for about $50. You can use the hitachi microdrive drivers to have xp recognize the sdhc as a fixed drive so you'll have 8g of space available. Also use the usb key as storage for movies and other temp files on. Works really great.

Also got a usb GPS receiver than I use when hiking and such. Found some maps for Japan which should be really useful when I visit (along with the fact that I can watch movies on the plane). If you disable everything (wireless, camera etc.) and lower screen brightness to 60% you can get 5+ hours on a charge.

Only bad thing is the resolution but I've read it's been hacked to go higher (1024 would make it perfect).

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Like the above user, I have a 4G version, black. Nlited XP as well, with SP3 slipstreamed. I have a LiteOn 8x DVD slim burner than I used to install it with. Also have 2gigs of memory, and a 8gig SDHC card. After I installed XP, and all the programs I want, Ive still got 2gigs free. Also have it "overclocked" to 900Mhz. Very nice little program here; http://www.cpp.in/dev/eeectl/ Can overclock, speadup/slowdown the fan, and increase the LCD brightness above anything else.

And yes you can get 1024, there is a driver that will do it for you. Read that you really need to increase font size as well. Firefox beta 3 lets you zoom, so its not so bad. I have yet to try it, Im pretty content how it it.

That HP model seems nice. Doesnt say how much it weighs, which is very important to me, as well as the size. This is all I need. Taking it to Iraq this May. Just going to use it for watching a ton of movies/tv shows I have, email, edit/send pics, and browse the web. Thats all I need it for.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
To the people who have done an nLite XP install, you happen to have any links to config file optimized for the EEE? It's kind of daunting all the options that are available with nLite, I'd rather not spend hours upon hours experimenting to find out what I can get away with removing and what I can't. :)

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: frostedflakes
To the people who have done an nLite XP install, you happen to have any links to config file optimized for the EEE? It's kind of daunting all the options that are available with nLite, I'd rather not spend hours upon hours experimenting to find out what I can get away with removing and what I can't. :)

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:nlitexp

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Parasitic
Originally posted by: frostedflakes

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:nlitexp

That is the one I used. Changed a few things to my liking.

VERY nice tiny program; http://www.cpp.in/dev/eeectl/

VERY nice way to update the bios and overclock; http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=9104

Im at 900Mhz, no problems. Little over 2gigs left on my 4G model, after installing everything I wanted. ACDSee, foxit, open office, lavasoft adware, spybot, nero, k-lite full codec pack, firefox, winrar, avg antivirus, and a few others. Thats about all I need, will probably stick some pics, and a select few mp3's on there as well.

Bought my 8gig SDHC because I thought I was going to need it for programs, but turns out I dont. I got a new Zen and a digi camera though, both can use it, so its not a loss. Overall, very, very happy with my Eee.

Don66

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2000
I use mine for web surfing and dowloading torrents.

I already have a 2 computers and a full size laptop in the house if I need real power.

The thing that's so nice about the e is its size and weight.

For its specs it's really pretty quick.

There's a bunch of mods for it.

For the neysayers and unbelievers it fills a niche, it's not ment to replace a full size laptop or computer for that matter.

Devo2007

May 15, 2007
When I first heard about the EeePC, I brushed it off as a gimmick -- that was, until a friend of mine picked one up and had me tinker around with it. I never thought such a small notebook could actually be useful, but boy was I wrong. The keyboard is OK to type on, and the 7" display is adequate for surfing the web/viewing documents/ebooks/etc.

I actually ended up buying one this past weekend, and just love it. To me, it's the perfect mobile companion (I used to have a 17" gaming laptop, but it was just too big for my needs -- I barely ended up taking it places because it was too bulky). Sure, I could probably make due with an ultralight laptop like the Lenovo Thinkpad X300, but those machines are far too pricey for me.

Yes, I realize this won't be nearly as powerful as my desktop is, but I don't need it for that. When I'm on the go, the most processor-intensive thing I would do is watch videos -- and the EeePC has enough horsepower for that.

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
I'd love to see a picture of the eee compared to a Thinkpad x61s. I've only really seen pics of the eee next to larger laptops that aren't really that portable. Google images yielded nothing in the first few pages of images..

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I have a Black 4G Surf with 2GB RAM, nLite'd XP SP2 and a 8GB SDHC card in it. It runs fairly well and people actually are quite surprised by it when they see it. Girls seem to find it "cute" (no more needing to use babies as pick-up objects!) and it's fairly useful. I don't really use mine often as I don't usually have a reason to have a PC on me at all times outside of the house and most of my mobile use is actually done within the house (remote desktoping into my main desktop).

I think the only complaints I have about it are the weird keyboard layout that makes it harder to type and the fact that the mouse buttons are one solid bar but still have two separate buttons. It's still usable, but awkward.

Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
I ordered a black 4G surf from ZZF, hope I don't brick it hacking it :D

It's very easy to hack, I doubt you will have a problem.

Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
I've played with one and found the keyboard unusable. I do have pretty big hands, and can be a little fat-fingered, but I can't type on one at all.

Key size is not an issue, key placement is. We're used to how normal keyboards stagger the QWERTY layout, but the EEEPC does it differently ('a' row is shifted over I believe).

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Got mine today, figured out how to get it to connect to the net on boot and am really happy with it.

I can see getting a 9-10" model if they release one & keep the price down. I'm not too hopeful for the price point since the 8G is $519, I can get a full featured traditional notebook for less.