EE Times: Eight Possible Candidates for AMD's Top Job

GFORCE100

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-...ble-candidates-for-AMD-s-top-job?pageNumber=0

Opinions on these choices?

AMD is in a tough predicament right now.

Google and ARM are trying to take market share away from x86.

Apparently the situation with Fabs is becoming Dire. (I've read 16nm and 11nm may be quite expensive leaving less room for continued process tech leads)

What do you think AMD should do at this point?

I have a feeling it will be neither of those candidates mentioned in that link. AMD needs someone who can talk the talk and walk the walk, someone who understands the market segments but also someone who can make board room meetings exemplify conviction and not a pass the parcel oh we'll see what we can do. Other than that someone who doesn't feel too much of himself just by wearing a suit and tie to work each day and who can put his ear down to the ground and hear what's coming next to prepare for it and most importantly, prepare to profit from it.

The problem is AMD has been chasing its own tail for so long that I really don't know what they should do or rather can do. It's seems they're very good at laughing at Intel when Intel is weak (which happens rarely but it happens) and not using this time to stay ahead of the game and also making somewhat unstable business solutions such as acquiring ATI and spreading its resources too fin (including of course its financials). Their marketing is subpar and it's not an excuse to say their finances don't allow elaborate marketing campaigns. Sure, it's always better to convey the message to a larger crowd but first and foremost it's not what you say but how you say. How is "AMD Me" going to improve market share?

On top of that they've been giving millions in bonuses to top management, which from an investor's point of view just want to makes you grind your teeth, not because of envy but because they don't deserve it. It's like being paid to act average. AMD wouldn't want to hire someone for an entry position whose "average" but feels just fine when top management is clearly lost in executing its strategy. For example, spreading finite company resources who are shaky at best too thin by getting your hands into too many projects isn't going to build the company stronger but instead yield risk. Risk should be a well known term for anyone wanting to embrace the position of CEO so its even more perplexing why AMD has a tendency to making its performance shady. It would be so much better if they did even just one thing, one project but did it in such a way that the media would be around them like a swarm of bees.

AMD just keeps on doing everything as if they really like being the underdog. Of course Intel is a very large grizzly bear to pick a fight with but that's not to say they can't do more than they have. Their best opportunity was in 2005 and they just wasted it because they didn't think for a split second Intel could turn the tables that quickly. Now Intel will be commencing 22nm come fall 2011 while AMD is still having problems hopping on the 32nm bandwagon. It's not the first time guys whether fabless or not.

And if that isn't enough I really suspect even if the next CEO turns out to be a decent guy whose more keen on getting the firms act together rather the his/her paycheck then there's a thorn that will stop him. To me this thorn is the current powers within the board room. You cannot run a company out into clear waters if there's a heated debate against you each time someone smart suggests strategy to the board. They should also reward CEO's differently with more emphasis on stock options rather than cash bonuses, which aren't necessarily tied to healthy company standing.

I'm not an AMD fan but I really want to see AMD pull something long term that will stick and slowly but surely build significance.

Last but not least, it would be very nice if AMD chose to give Intel some real competition some time because if they don't stop eyeing themselves internally then they will soon wake-up to more attacks from ARM and Nvidia. Amen.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Their marketing is subpar and it's not an excuse to say their finances don't allow elaborate marketing campaigns. Sure, it's always better to convey the message to a larger crowd but first and foremost it's not what you say but how you say. How is "AMD Me" going to improve market share?

This is the part that really gets to me. They have multiple Billions of dollars pass through their hands, and yet their marketing budget appears to be 7 figures if that. This is the biggest reason AMD has problems, not that they have inferior products. Just look at nVidia, who has had inferior video cards for over a year now (although that changed recently). They had a card in the GTX460 that was almost as good as the competition, and they threw enough marketing behind it to make it sound like it was the only card to buy. And it worked as it outsold clearly superior cards. They proved that you don't need superior products to sell, you just need your customers to believe that your product is superior.

I just can't believe that AMD has never figured that out, or if they have haven't figured out how to make customers believe that their products are superior to the competition.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Henri Richard
I'm afraid I have no clue who that is. He wasn't in the article (I assume you are of the opinion Sanders shouldn't return, yes? :) )and a google search led me to a former hockey player. Expound, please?

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Seems like one of those "This is a a great way to get page hits" articles

I'm curious what AMD's timeline is for a CEO replacement. I guess we'll see in a few years whether the firing of Mr. Meye is justified....

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm afraid I have no clue who that is. He wasn't in the article (I assume you are of the opinion Sanders shouldn't return, yes? :) )and a google search led me to a former hockey player. Expound, please?

Didn't see that one coming.

But he's sales guy, not sure if he has the vision they are looking for.

He also bailed once he found out he wouldn't be able to sell Phenom.

Checkout this short-lived thread:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2134903

I too held Richard in little esteem based on what was impressed upon me through a limited number of media snippets from the times...but his departure makes a lot of sense to me now in hindsight IF it was not over Barcelona/etc but rather over the lack of strategy and leadership Richard's saw at the time within AMD's top brass.

Enderle said that former AMD executive Henri Richard, now a senior vice president in charge of sales and marketing at Freescale Semiconductor, warned Meyer about losing the opportunity in tablets. “He was on a plane with Dirk and told him this was an opportunity that you are going to miss,” Enderle said. “He was prophetic.”

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/amds-problems-not-over-despite-ceo-ouster-2011-01-13?pagenumber=1