Educate me about small vintage cars (MGs, Triumphs, etc)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fenixgoon, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Fenixgoon

Fenixgoon Lifer

miata is fat by comparison ;)

2. JCH13

JCH13 Diamond Member

Look up the curb weights. You might be surprised how a 2,100lb NA Miata stacks up. My turbo Miata weighed in at 2,080lb with a hardtop on it and a roll bar.

3. Meghan54

Meghan54 Diamond Member

Wonder if the VW you saw was a Type 3 notchback. Not really the most common VW in the U.S.

4. Fenixgoon

Fenixgoon Lifer

i thought miata was closer to 2300? hmmm :hmm: :hmm:

from my autocross forum, the my sense of everyone's responses is "you will definitely need your own garage to constantly work on these things" but "they are also hella fun"

5. _Rick_

_Rick_ Diamond Member

6. JCH13

JCH13 Diamond Member

Depends heavily on what year and options. The 'book' weight on a no-options Miata is 2,116lbs. A fully optioned Mazdaspeed Miata is around 2,450lbs.

I believe a base NA Miata can be lightened to around 2,000lbs or less with no real sacrifices to comfort. Lighter wheels, a lighter SS exhaust (also eliminates heat shields), remove some unneeded manifold braces, clean out the trunk, and you're good to go.

7. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

The Series 1 Spider Duetto is an absolutely beautiful car. Much better looking than the square back Spiders of later years. I covet those like you wouldn't believe but good luck finding one.

8. olds

olds Elite Member

Live the dream

9. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

Nice! :thumbsup: :biggrin:

I went on autotrader classics, ebay, and craigslist this morning and tried to find one for sale anywhere in the U.S. I found 1 in Los Angeles, asking price is $11,750 and it is in need of a full restoration. Poorly repaired damage on the nose, missing parts of the grill, dull paint, it desparately needs a new top, it has tan seats but red carpet and some of the carpets are missing, body looks fairly straight and the ad says it is in good mechanical shape but who knows for sure.

10. lakedude

lakedude Golden Member

^this

Most all of those vintage cars had reliability issues when they were NEW. Do you think the passing of years has made them better?