EDTV vs HDTV Plasma sets

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
There seems to be a large difference in pricing between the EDTV sets and HDTV sets. Why so? I know that the EDTV doesn't broadcast in high definition, but is the picture quality that poor that the price difference can amount to $2K, $3K, sometimes $4K between comparable size plasma sets?

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: CPA
There seems to be a large difference in pricing between the EDTV sets and HDTV sets. Why so? I know that the EDTV doesn't broadcast in high definition, but is the picture quality that poor that the price difference can amount to $2K, $3K, sometimes $4K between comparable size plasma sets?

It all comes down to resolution. EDTV is 480p, the same output that a DVD player can do. HDTV has a couple of different standards, but 720p and 1080i are the most common. IMO, it's worth the extra money to buy a plasma TV that can display HDTV signals.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
EDTV looks horrible. Why spend $3000 on an EDTV plasma when you can get an LCD or DLP projection in HDTV that looks 10x better?

If you are just buying for the coolness factor, I think you will be extremely disappointed when a little down the line, you find so many cheaper TVs totally outclassing your TV.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Thanks, haven't bought one yet, and not sure I will. Just wanted to know the main difference, which now makes sense.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Thanks, haven't bought one yet, and not sure I will. Just wanted to know the main difference, which now makes sense.

HD on a HD plasma is jaw-dropping.

If you just want to use it for DVDs and TV then a EDTV is right up your alley.

Apex

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
www.gotapex.com

It all depends. :)

When we're talking about 37 to 46" plasma displays (the only ones available in EDTV), you have to realize that there are absolutely ZERO that are really HDTV.

EDTV is 852x480 or so, the perfect resolution for DVD's on square pixel fixed pixel devices.

The picture of EDTV is very close to the "HDTV" ones, even with HDTV feed, depending on your viewing distance. For instance, comparing perhaps the best 42" panels (we can argue electronics later):

Panasonic 42PWD6UY EDTV
Panasonic 42PHD6UY "HDTV"

We find that for someone with 20/20 vision, with HDTV feed (720p or 1080i), the panels look virtually identical past 6-8 feet away.

Now, once in awhile, you'll get a person who knows nothing about video and is simply used to computers who will say that EDTV plasmas look like crap compared to HDTV ones. This has no basis in reality (thankfully for those who bought EDTV, and sadly for those who sprung for HDTV). Take a look for yourself at a local store. Be sure to compare equal sized units of the same manufacturer of the same generation, with the same calibration, with the same feed material. You'll quickly realize this. Or, jump over to avsforum.com and listen to many of the other people who have done so.

When you look at panels, be sure to realize that there really are no plasma sets under 50" that can fully resolve HDTV. For instance, with that one above, the 42PHD6UY, it claims to be HDTV, but is actually 1024x768 with non-square pixels. The minimum spec for HDTV is 720p, which is 1280x720. You can clearly see that the horizontal pixels (1024) is not enough to fully resolve the picture (1280).