Edmunds tests the Audi A8L

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Link

Awesome car, but I want the V8 turbodiesel version sold in Europe. Just as fast as the petrol model, yet it gets 30mpg!

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I know VW's suck as far as reliability goes.....but how about Audi???? Since they are basically the same company.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
a 12-speaker Bose audio system can fill it up with plenty of noise if you prefer.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gawdamnfvckingassholebosepiecashitawful stereos should be illegal in such fine cars

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Chadder007
I know VW's suck as far as reliability goes.....but how about Audi???? Since they are basically the same company.

Please see the end of the first page onward of this thread. :)

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: ElFenix
a 12-speaker Bose audio system can fill it up with plenty of noise if you prefer.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gawdamnfvckingassholebosepiecashitawful stereos should be illegal in such fine cars
We should be blood brothers.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
I refuse to read any reviews by Edmunds.

Here is why:

They did a long term review of some 2002 Ferrari. The dealer tried to lie to them, they didn't complain. Sold them a complete lemon, they didn't complain. Dealer continues to treat them like sh!t, they don't complain. Like when is enough, enough?

They just keep on licking Ferrari's nuts. I agree that most Ferrari owners care less about how reliable a ferrari is, they care more about looks and speed. But, this ferrari was a total lemon, broke down more then a few times. Yeah I am sure that looks really good, you are crusing Beach Front Avenue, showing off your car and it just shuts down, doesn't even start. Still the edmund's editors say nothing.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN
Link

Awesome car, but I want the V8 turbodiesel version sold in Europe. Just as fast as the petrol model, yet it gets 30mpg!

well we don't need the 30mpg model. Gas prices compared to Euro is really cheap. No need to be frugal with gas when you own an Audi A8 ;)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: TommyVercettiYeah I am sure that looks really good, you are crusing Beach Front Avenue

Yo so I continued to A1A Beachfront Avenue
Girls were hot wearing less than bikinis
Rockman lovers driving Lamborghinis
Jealous 'cause I'm out getting mine
Shay with a guage and Vanilla with a nine
Ready for the chumps on the wall
The chumps acting ill because they're so full of eight balls
Gunshots rang out like a bell
I grabbed my nine all I heard were shells
Falling on the concrete real fast
Jumped in my car slammed on the gas
Bumper to bumper the avenue's packed
I'm trying to get away before the jackers jack
Police on the scene you know what I mean
They passed me up confronted all the dope fiends
If there was a problem yo I'll solve it
Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: isekii
Link

well we don't need the 30mpg model. Gas prices compared to Euro is really cheap. No need to be frugal with gas when you own an Audi A8 ;)

yeah but still. Also wat if you won the car from a lottery or what not..and you can't afford gas...hmmm??

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What's so bad about Bose? I hear people scream bloody murder like little bitches whenever they see the name bose, but I bet half of you bastards have never even been in a high-end Audi or Porsche to hear what it sounds like

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: NFS4
What's so bad about Bose? I hear people scream bloody murder like little bitches whenever they see the name bose, but I bet half of you bastards have never even been in a high-end Audi or Porsche to hear what it sounds like

I dunno much about BOSE's home audio, but I do like their car audio stuff. But then again it depends on the car.

FOr instance, the 97-99 Maximas had a great BOSE system (given the car's price), but the 2000+ BOSE system sucked ass.

Also the G35 Sedan/Coupe has a crappy BOSE system, but the FX and Murano have an awesome BOSE system.

BOSE is one of the better stock car audio systems. A whole lot better than the Monsoon system used in VW and the one in BMW. Its only second to Mark Levinson in Lexi.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
When's it my turn to test it? :p

BTW, I saw my first Touareg on the road today (knew someone in my snobbity neighborhood would get it, V8 no less) and I DROOLLLED ALL THE WAY HOME!!!

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: uncJIGGA
When's it my turn to test it? :p

When I'm done wiht it? Don't worry...I'll drop it off at your place...don't mind the curry stench! <I'm eating some awesome cholay with rice....cholay>

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

I dunno much about BOSE's home audio, but I do like their car audio stuff. But then again it depends on the car.

FOr instance, the 97-99 Maximas had a great BOSE system (given the car's price), but the 2000+ BOSE system sucked ass.

Also the G35 Sedan/Coupe has a crappy BOSE system, but the FX and Murano have an awesome BOSE system.

BOSE is one of the better stock car audio systems. A whole lot better than the Monsoon system used in VW and the one in BMW. Its only second to Mark Levinson in Lexi.
Dunno bout that...I'd say the McIntosh systems found in some cars are bar none...and isn't there a car with an Eclipse system as a factory option?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Take this you slimy Bose bashing bitches! :p
System Score: 9.0

Components: The stereo and instrumentation in this Audi A8 remind us a lot of the iDrive setup in the new BMW 7 Series. Virtually all the functions for the stereo are routed through a dash-mounted LCD screen that Audi calls Multi Media Interface (MMI). This is complemented by a bevy of controls at the fingertips of the driver, located just in front of the center armrest. It's a strange setup at first glance, but after just a few minutes of working with it we found it both logical and convenient, with the exception that the driver must take his eyes off the roadway to work the controls. The safety aspect of this arrangement still concerns us, but we believe familiarity with the controls, at least those controls related to the stereo, would provide for seamless operation.

In addition to all the standard stereo features, this Bose system includes a six-disc CD changer in the glovebox, and a "surround sound" offering of speakers that truly envelopes the listener in a cocoon of sound. Speaker placements include a 10-inch subwoofer along the back deck, 6.5-inch speakers in all four doors, tweeters in the rear doors and a surround sound centerfill speaker mounted on the dash. The system also includes a readout between the speedometer and tach that gives a visual of what function is operating. All in all, we found this system interesting although a tad confusing in the beginning, but we reiterate that familiarity would no doubt make it easier to use.

Performance: Any objections to the design of this system immediately melt away when the system is turned on. This is among the best-sounding systems we've listened to in the last year, with a rich, pure sound that truly "surrounds" the listener with audio. The centerfill speaker produces an outstanding soundstage, with excellent stereo imaging and presence. Bass response was superb ? deep, rich and thick, with just enough snap to respond to kick drum and other percussion. Highs and mids filled the cabin with detail and intricacy, and the overall balance of this system impressed us. All the instruments we tested in our analysis responded with a natural sound that suggested minimum coloration of the audio signal. Female vocals were superb, horns were brassy without being harsh and the whole audio spectrum pleased this listener immensely.

Best Feature: True "surround sound" capability.

Worst Feature: Ergonomics take some getting used to.

Conclusion: This one gets a 10 for sound, but a 9 for design. We certainly liked it overall, but took off a point for the control layout, which could prove confusing and distracting to first-time users. ? Scott Memmer

badluck

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2001

Well, if you are making assumptions about them....you are making the same mistake they are. Just state your point and be done with it. Most people won't listen to you anyways even if you are making a valid point (which I think you are).

heh.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

Dunno bout that...I'd say the McIntosh systems found in some cars are bar none...and isn't there a car with an Eclipse system as a factory option?

Subaru has McIntosh I think..but I never heard it in person so can't say anything about it.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
bose home audio setups generally have large holes in frequency response. they try to break the laws of physics too often. thats the biggest complaint. they usually also have their crossovers set too high so you can tell where the bass module is located. also, their speakers use some of the cheapest materials available. stuff that will dry rot in a couple of years. plastic housings. weak magnets. for a long time their home theatre systems weren't compatible with audio standards like dolby digital. i dunno if they've fixed that last one.

i don't seriously expect their car setups to be any better.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

that system has nothing to do with mark levinson himself. its just some cheap harmon international parts.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000

The subaru legacy wagon has the McIntosh system. For a family car, thats pretty good.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: ElFenix
bose home audio setups generally have large holes in frequency response. they try to break the laws of physics too often. thats the biggest complaint. they usually also have their crossovers set too high so you can tell where the bass module is located. also, their speakers use some of the cheapest materials available. stuff that will dry rot in a couple of years. plastic housings. weak magnets. for a long time their home theatre systems weren't compatible with audio standards like dolby digital. i dunno if they've fixed that last one.

i don't seriously expect their car setups to be any better.

I didn't know that. I did know that you needed a room designed for those home-audio speakers to really get good performance from them, however not everyone had a room designed to those acoustic measurements.

I like their car audio stuff, for a stock system its pretty damn good (in the Maxima anyway).

I dind't know that about the Mark LEvinson system used in the Lexus..

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

I dind't know that about the Mark LEvinson system used in the Lexus..

the mark levinson brand is just harmon international's better brand, mark levinson himself left that company. not sure whats hes doing now.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

Are you saying Bose > Nakamichi?

Jun 18, 2000
That is a gorgeous vehicle. Easily Audi's best production design. There's a black A8 already in the area that makes me drool every time I see it.