edmunds bmw 335i full test

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
0 - 60 (sec): 4.8
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 13.3 @ 105.9

"
In order to see what she's really putting out, we've brought our 335i to the chassis dynamometer at MD Automotive in Westminster, California. And since chassis dyno figures are always lower than manufacturer ratings because the former includes drivetrain losses and the latter does not, we've secured the help of an alert reader who has volunteered his month-old 335i for comparison. Steve Harrison's identically equipped 335i automatic is fresh off a trip up the California coast and all broken in. We should be able to tell if our press car's performance is unique or not.

After a short time, two sets of fresh numbers sit before us. Steve's car produces 272 rear-wheel hp at 5,970 rpm. Considering drivetrain losses, he's easily seeing the promised 300 horses at the flywheel, probably more. Our test car produces a similar 273 at 5,970. But wait, there's more: While Steve's motor gently tapers off as rpm exceeds six grand, our mill continues to make more power until it tops out at 279 at 6,295 rpm, at which point Steve's 335i lags 19 ponies behind. Notably, our car maintains its advantage for the remainder of the rev range.

We're glad you asked. MD's dyno can also measure turbo boost during runs. It turns out that at any given rpm in the disputed region between 5,000 and 6,500, our car consistently makes about 0.5 psi more boost. Subtle, but a little goes a long way. Is this mere production variation? We can't dig deep enough to know for sure. If anything, this exercise underscores the potential of aftermarket chip tuning. Ain't electronically controlled turbo engines fun?"

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=117669

basically, edmunds dynoed two cars, a consumer's car and a press car, and the press car made 19 WHP more.

RgrPark

Golden Member
Mar 11, 2000
like the article says, it's probably a production variation...no car is going to be exactly the same. but if it's not, nothing a chip can't fix.

car sounds great.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
nice read.

no LSD is ftl...and 50K for a 3 series is mind numbing...that said...they will sell like hotcakes.

thirdeye

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2001
www.davewalter.net
How in the hell can they get the 335i to perform like that but yet EVERY other review of damned near every car they've tested is consistently slower than other testers and real world results?

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: thirdeye
How in the hell can they get the 335i to perform like that but yet EVERY other review of damned near every car they've tested is consistently slower than other testers and real world results?

they picked up a used stig on black friday...duhh

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
Originally posted by: mariok2006

This made me laugh. Thanks for making everyone in the computing commons look at me funny.

thirdeye

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2001
www.davewalter.net
Originally posted by: mariok2006

Ah jeez, I missed that deal :(

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'd say this speaks well for the 335i's modding potential.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
better then the M3? i believe it.

now wheres the V8 M3? i hope it gets the old M5s V8, which was good for 394HP.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: secretanchitman
better then the M3? i believe it.

now wheres the V8 M3? i hope it gets the old M5s V8, which was good for 394HP.

the new m3 should be around 450+bhp and i think the S62 motor is a bit close to its limits in terms of output. Also the carbon deposits seemed to be a widespread problem, however i think i would make a great foundation.