Edited video costs USDA worker her job.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Well, it appears I, along with many others were fooled by a crudely edited video. While I am still appalled at her original actions she described AND at the laughs and applause those actions got from the NAACP audience, I cannot maintain my support of her forced resignation.

I still hold the strong opinion that the NAACP is a racist, political organization that should lose it's non-proft status. Proof of this lies in the way the audience showed overwhelming approval of her original, racist actions and the recent BS with the Tea Party, yet silence on the New Black Panthers issue.

Apologies to all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrNWw7TGkjo

Um, okay. How funny just days after the NAACP votes to call the Tea Party racist. Wow...

Video Shows USDA Official Saying She Didn't Give 'Full Force' of Help to White Farmer

Published July 19, 2010

Days after the NAACP clashed with Tea Party members over allegations of racism, a video has surfaced showing an Agriculture Department official regaling an NAACP audience with a story about how she withheld help to a white farmer facing bankruptcy -- video that now has forced the official to resign.

Shirley Sherrod, the department's Georgia director of Rural Development, is shown in the clip describing "the first time I was faced with having to help a white farmer save his farm." Sherrod, who is black, claimed the farmer took a long time trying to show he was "superior" to her. The audience laughed as she described how she determined his fate.

"He had to come to me for help. What he didn't know while he was taking all that time trying to show me he was superior to me was I was trying to decide just how much help I was going to give him," she said. "I was struggling with the fact that so many black people have lost their farmland and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land -- so I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough."

The Agriculture Department announced Monday, shortly after FoxNews.com published its initial report on the video, that Sherrod had resigned.

"There is zero tolerance for discrimination at USDA, and I strongly condemn any act of discrimination against any person," Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said in a written statement. "We have been working hard through the past 18 months to reverse the checkered civil rights history at the department and take the issue of fairness and equality very seriously.

Sherrod explained in the video that, at the time, she assumed the state or national Department of Agriculture had referred the white farmer to her. In order to ensure that the farmer could report back that she was indeed helpful, she said she took him to see "one of his own" -- a white lawyer.

"I figured that if I take him to one of them, that his own kind would take care of him," she said.

The point of the story wasn't entirely clear; only an excerpt of the speech is included in the video clip.

"It was revealed to me that it's about poor versus those who have," she said, suggesting she had learned that race is less important.

The video clip was first posted by BigGovernment.com. The clip is dated March 27 from an NAACP Freedom Fund banquet.

The clip adds to the firestorm of debate over the NAACP's decision to approve a resolution at its convention last week accusing some Tea Party activists of racism -- a charge Tea Party leaders deny. FoxNews.com was unable to get a response to this story from the NAACP.

In a second clip from the same event posted online, Sherrod appeared to urge black job seekers to find work at the Department of Agriculture because the federal government won't lay people off.

"There are jobs at USDA and many times there are no people of color to fill those jobs because we shy away from agriculture. We hear the word agriculture and think, why are we working in the fields?" she said. "You've heard of a lot of layoffs. Have you heard of anybody in the federal government losing their job? That's all I need to say."

Last edited:

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
The Agriculture Department announced Monday, shortly after FoxNews.com published its initial report on the video, that Sherrod had resigned.

Good. Sounds like she became what she hated. Racists calling other racists racists, nothing new.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Talk about a misleading thread title. She was talking to a NAACP audience but was not herself a member of the NAACP.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Talk about a misleading thread title. She was talking to a NAACP audience but was not herself a member of the NAACP.

You missed the laughing of crowd? "I was only following orders" must be an excuse to you.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
I am going to have to officially condemn the NAACP as a racist organization until they weed out these racists from their ranks.

Last edited:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

How do you know she's not a member?

And did you hear the audience applaud and laugh at her tale of racism?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Hey I heard the tea party lady mention this same person on Larry King today!!

Thank goodness for talking point eh racist teabaggers?? :)

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
So she's a racist southerner who thinks the gov't shouldn't be helping people?
Sounds like a model Tea Party member to me. She shoved that stick of Personal Responsibility right up his ass.

Tip of the Day: Don't mouth off to the people trying to save you from BK.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I see.

Either post a single link to any post of mine that you consider racist, or STFU.

Did you get the title of the song correct . settle down. I didn't call ya al a cracker. LOL.

I struggling with whos more racist Whites Blacks Reds or yellows. But I am sick of all this racist shit. After all we are all on the same tracks.

dammitgibs

Jan 31, 2009
Who cares about the NAACP? They lost all credibility a long time ago. Why is it when someone in the govt fucks up royally they always "resign" and why aren't they just flat out fired? Kicked to the curb with no benies whatsoever. Fucking disgusting racist pigs.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

From that article

"The NAACP released a statement late Monday condemning Sherrod's admission.

"We are appalled by her actions, just as we are with abuses of power against farmers of color and female farmers," the statement said.

"Her actions were shameful," it continued."

Sounds like the NAACP isn't that racist organization Amused and his fellow travelers claime them to be.

Of course to be fair the Tea party Federation also condemned the Tea Party Express or at least it's leader for being racist or at least racially insensitive for his blog.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
From that article

"We are appalled by her actions, just as we are with abuses of power against farmers of color and female farmers," the statement said.

Sounds like the NAACP isn't that racist organization Amused and his fellow travelers claime them to be.

Hmmm... the NAACP audience didn't seem so very "appalled" by her actions, and the laughing/applause sure didn't seem to say "shameful". This is the after-the-fact damage control, had this not been nationally exposed the NAACP would have been perfectly fine with her actions. The fact is that it's a racist organization that has over the yeas burrowed itself deep into the government.

What I absolutely don't understand is how people -- especially NAACP members who themselves have likely been the target of racism -- would be OK with someone saying things like "one of his own kind" and stuff like that. Beyond the racism, that woman exemplifies everything that's wrong with government. They don't understand that in their role in government they serve the people, not other way around. And of course, there's the "Have you heard of anybody in the federal government losing their job? That's all I need to say". Sadly, it's the truth, and the unchecked growth of government at the expense of the private sector is the #1 reason America is going down fast. :(

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Hmmm... the NAACP audience didn't seem so very "appalled" by her actions, and the laughing/applause sure didn't seem to say "shameful". This is the after-the-fact damage control, had this not been nationally exposed the NAACP would have been perfectly fine with her actions. The fact is that it's a racist organization that has over the yeas burrowed itself deep into the government.

(
Well if I were to use your logic then i could say all the conservatives here are racist because they never condemn Spidey07 or Modest Gamer for their racist tirades (with the exception or Corn who tore Spidey07 a new one for it)

If I were to do that I'd be dead wrong just like you who regarding the NAACP. Now that's not to say their agenda is based solely on the advancement of Minorities, especially Blacks which means they don't have your or my interest at heart because we are white but then we don't need them.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Well if I were to use your logic then i could say all the conservatives here are racist because they never condemn Spidey07 or Modest Gamer for their racist tirades (with the exception or Corn who tore Spidey07 a new one for it)

If I were to do that I'd be dead wrong just like you who regarding the NAACP. Now that's not to say their agenda is based solely on the advancement of Minorities, especially Blacks which means they don't have your or my interest at heart because we are white but then we don't need them.

Not quite. For your example to apply. Conservative posters would have to be applauding Spidey07 or Modestgamer when they post that.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

You like most of the others here are ignoring the most important part of the story. This is a U.S. Government official who finds it acceptable to promote her racist views in public. She also seems very comfortable doing it. Whether this was in front of a NAACP crowd or not is irrelevant.

My guess is she saw how the DOJ dropped the charges in the black panther voter intimidation case and she had no fear of losing her job.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
OrByte said:
Hey I heard the tea party lady mention this same person on Larry King today!!

Thank goodness for talking point eh racist teabaggers?? :)

Sounds like a model Tea Party member to me. She shoved that stick of Personal Responsibility right up his ass.

From that article

Of course to be fair the Tea party Federation also condemned the Tea Party Express or at least it's leader for being racist or at least racially insensitive for his blog.

Ahh the loony left, never missing an opportunity to try and slip this weeks attempt at marginalization into the conversation even when completely irrelevant.

Exactly. If this hadn't been brought to light nationally she would still be there, let her racism decide who got loans.