edit: unignore: ANOTHER scam that I can't figure out: 2000 Camry, $2900

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Okay... found another vehicle on another craigslist (Chautauqua county area, NY)
Same price, different make/model. The listing follows the exact same format. Checked the properties of the photos, and it goes to the same user name. I'm sure it's a scam now, after comparing this and the previous ad. But, how would a user know otherwise?? (Since I'm shopping for a vehicle for my son.)

Here's the craigslist ad

---------------------------
KBB

$9850 on kellybluebook...

$2900 on craigslist

Sounds too good to be true... what scam is it that I don't know about?? Car dealer phishing for email addresses of potential buyers? I'm completely stumped by this one.

edit: in case anyone cares, the photos of the car are here

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: DrPizza
KBB

$9850 on kellybluebook...

$2900 on craigslist

Sounds too good to be true... what scam is it that I don't know about?? Car dealer phishing for email addresses of potential buyers? I'm completely stumped by this one.

Guess so, since the ad you linked has already been removed.

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Wow, that was fast.. :thumbsup: to craigslist community for catching that scam... I'm just wondering what the scam was. I still have the seller's email addy, but I'm not going to bother with it.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah, these pop up constantly, and usually get flagged down pretty quickly.

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
Let's see; $2900 purchase price, + $4-5K Yr. in the Dealers Shop for the inevitable repairs.
Doesn't sound like much of a bargain to me.
It's a BMW, Dude!

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
I wonder how many people craigslist has just sitting reading every new post? they must have thousands of people reading them....

sometimes I would hit refresh and see threads already flagged...

do they have volunteers doing that?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: FreshPrince
I wonder how many people craigslist has just sitting reading every new post? they must have thousands of people reading them....

sometimes I would hit refresh and see threads already flagged...

do they have volunteers doing that?

Yeah, us ;)

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I don't know... I know that craigslist specifically asks its users to flag animal sales. I don't know why (a guess is that there are a bunch of PETA freaks in San Fran, and I think that's where it originated.) However, I see animals for sale in this area all the time; many have been on there for a week or more (example: a male llama for $850 the other day.) Oh well, it's not my site, so I can't really complain. Seems like an idiotic rule though; and one I'm not going to flag other users for.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't know... I know that craigslist specifically asks its users to flag animal sales. I don't know why (a guess is that there are a bunch of PETA freaks in San Fran, and I think that's where it originated.) However, I see animals for sale in this area all the time; many have been on there for a week or more (example: a male llama for $850 the other day.) Oh well, it's not my site, so I can't really complain. Seems like an idiotic rule though; and one I'm not going to flag other users for.

Have you heard about the scam where people are selling purebred puppies that don't actually exist? They just use a pic from a breeder's website.

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
And what happens when someone shows up with money in hand to purchase the dog?

Or, are people that stupid that they'll mail the money first to a PO box, waiting til the dog is 8 weeks old to pick it up?? (i.e. this isn't a problem specifically with animals.)

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001

Or, are people that stupid that they'll mail the money first to a PO box, waiting til the dog is 8 weeks old to pick it up?? (i.e. this isn't a problem specifically with animals.)
Maybe they do get the "dog" they paid for.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Yes, people ARE that stupid. They pay for it before they get it.

Shame

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2001
I posted an ad on Craigslist this afternoon to sell an old 50'' projection tx. Within an hour someone contacted me via a hotmail account and wanted it shipped to England. Mind you, the TV probably weighs in excess of 300 lbs. <shakes head> :p

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I have seen several of these ads listed here in Portland as well.
I have noticed that all of them show no license plate at all, that was my second hint that it was a scam.
Seriously do people think that they are going to get a 2005 loaded Toyota Avalon for 4 grand?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Shame
I posted an ad on Craigslist this afternoon to sell an old 50'' projection tx. Within an hour someone contacted me via a hotmail account and wanted it shipped to England. Mind you, the TV probably weighs in excess of 300 lbs. <shakes head> :p

Not to mention that an NTSC isn't terribly useful in a country that uses PAL.

gwrober

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2005
Bumping an old thread...

I've had terrible luck with CL recently - all of my ads are legit, but I use embedded pics from photobucket for my images....the pictures are better than the way they look uploading them to CL. I think that's the problem. (with my ads anyway)

BUT, every single one of my freakin ads gets flagged! :mad:

I wish there was a method for CL to tell you why your ad was flagged. It's frustrating when your ad's 'life' depends on people who may or may not know a scam from a real sale, and you have to deal with it.

I was trying to sell a bt headset I bought at Best Buy, and it was flagged within the hour. The only thing I can think of is the embedded photo.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
<blockquote>quote:
I don't know... I know that craigslist specifically asks its users to flag animal sales. I don't know why (a guess is that there are a bunch of PETA freaks in San Fran, and I think that's where it originated.) However, I see animals for sale in this area all the time; many have been on there for a week or more (example: a male llama for $850 the other day.) Oh well, it's not my site, so I can't really complain. Seems like an idiotic rule though; and one I'm not going to flag other users for.</blockquote>

Have you heard about the scam where people are selling purebred puppies that don't actually exist? They just use a pic from a breeder's website.

The scam is the deposit to 'hold' the puppy. They also get your CC# to use for other things.

With craigslist there is no way to pinpoint the users...it's all honor system. So CL makes certain ground rules to cut down on the frauds that hit the people that don't expect it.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: dullard
<blockquote>quote:

Or, are people that stupid that they'll mail the money first to a PO box, waiting til the dog is 8 weeks old to pick it up?? (i.e. this isn't a problem specifically with animals.)</blockquote>
Maybe they do get the "dog" they paid for.

That story is a fraud btw. Popular but not true.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: gwrober
Bumping an old thread...

I've had terrible luck with CL recently - all of my ads are legit, but I use embedded pics from photobucket for my images....the pictures are better than the way they look uploading them to CL. I think that's the problem. (with my ads anyway)

BUT, every single one of my freakin ads gets flagged! :mad:

I wish there was a method for CL to tell you why your ad was flagged. It's frustrating when your ad's 'life' depends on people who may or may not know a scam from a real sale, and you have to deal with it.

I was trying to sell a bt headset I bought at Best Buy, and it was flagged within the hour. The only thing I can think of is the embedded photo.

Competitors flag people all the time. It's one of the flaws in CL. If you want to sell the same item, flag the other guys ad and sell your's.