Edit:Thx guys 95% done/Looking to build a solid mid-range to high-end gaming PC

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming and running VMs for certification training

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

This is a little hard to determine, I could potentially go up to $1500, but would like to keep it up under $1000

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

US

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
We can't be expected to scour the internet on your behalf, chasing down deals in your specific country... Again, help us, help YOU.

na

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

no preference, just want the best value for my dollars

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

I have a really old build, but I can re-use the ssd which is a samsung evo 840 250gb. I also will likely use my current display for another 2 months, which is a 50" LED/60hz. I also have a 7750, I obviously would want to replace it for a new build, but if there is a compelling reason I could live with it for a few more weeks.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
In the past I have never overclocked my cpu/gpu, but I would consider it if there were significant gains to be had without consuming too much time or money

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?

I'm planning on going with dual 1440p monitors, somewhere between 24-28". But that likely won't be for another couple of months

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.

Next week or so, I've been looking for decent sales.

X. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?

My brother-in-law gets volume licensing for Windows, so I'm good on software.

I have quite a few questions, hopefully this won't go too long though.

cpu/mobo - Is a current generation i5 adequate for 4k gaming and running virtualization projects? I'm doing quite a bit of training involving linux,vmware and developing/coding.

ram - Would I see the benefit of using 16gb if I intend on doing extensive projects with VMs? These will likely not be 24/7 projects, just a few days at best.

gpu - Video cards selection is always overwhelming for me, there are just so many options and choices to go with. I know for sure that I'll go with a single card setup and I'm willing to spend about $350.

psu/case - It's been some years since I last built a system. However going forward, I will likely swap out parts on a yearly basis instead of waiting so long and upgrading everything all at once. I'm interested in a psu that will accommodate future power needs and a case with a dust filter, good air flow, tool-less and roomy enough to work in (I despite small cases).

keyboard/mouse/lighting - This is a minor part of my purchasing list for now, but since I'm asking questions. Are there any significant differences in gaming mice and keyboard vs. typical ones? As for lighting my home office is now in my bedroom and I would like to add a green glow for a soothing ambiance.

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Take a look at the midrange builders guide and swap in the 16GB of RAM option. If you need more than 16GB of RAM, double up the 16GB kit to go to 32GB.

Virtual labs are pretty much never CPU bound. You could have an i3 and be fine from that perspective because the machines are sitting around doing nothing 99.9% of the time. Instead, they are limited by memory capacity (number of VMs concurrently running) and disk I/O (time it takes to bring up the lab).

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Take a look at the midrange builders guide and swap in the 16GB of RAM option. If you need more than 16GB of RAM, double up the 16GB kit to go to 32GB.

Virtual labs are pretty much never CPU bound. You could have an i3 and be fine from that perspective because the machines are sitting around doing nothing 99.9% of the time. Instead, they are limited by memory capacity (number of VMs concurrently running) and disk I/O (time it takes to bring up the lab).

That build looks pretty solid, how would a R9 290 compare with the 970? Also would it make sense to go with a 290X with more vram?

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
That build looks pretty solid, how would a R9 290 compare with the 970? Also would it make sense to go with a 290X with more vram?

The R9 290 is generally a little slower than the GTX 970, but it also costs less, so it is a reasonable value as long as you are OK with the heat output.

Both the R9 290 and the R9 290X have 4GB of VRAM standard. There are R9 290X 8GB units, but they aren't worth the price premium in my opinion.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I just noticed that Microcenter has the i5-4690k for $199.99 and I also see an open box ASRock for about 68 bucks. It's in store pickup, but seems like a good deal for under $300

Edit: Seems like the build quality on the ASRock board is spotty. Oddly enough the Asus Z97 boards seem to have issues as well.

Last edited:

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
There is an R9-290X on sale for $300 AP/AR also. I'd probably pick that over the 970 at $310.

Edit: Seems like the build quality on the ASRock board is spotty. Oddly enough the Asus Z97 boards seem to have issues as well.

Are you getting this from quickly reading newegg reviews? I don't really put much stock in those. AsRock and Asus both make fine boards, you'll find a dead board from any of the major manufacturers every now and then, so it doesn't really pay to read too much into the tea leaves of newegg reviews. If you live close enough to MC, and they have a half-decent return policy on the open-box board, I'd just run with it as long as you're certain to build within the return/exchange limits.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I definitely recommend picking up the CPU + mobo from MC if you have one nearby. Don't even bother with the open box motherboard, just take advantage of the normal $40 off combo deal. You can get an i5 4690K + GA-Z97X-SLI for $250 AR.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Thank you guys for your help, especially mfenn. I was able to get a pretty solid idea of what I could put together for my budget although I went over it. I ended up basically going all new for my box and upgrading my old one for the kids. Here's what I purchased today so far.

My Rig
i5-4690k - $199.99 (MicroCenter)
MSI Z97 LGA 1150 - $109.99 (Microcenter)
Corsair 750w Modular PSU - $74.99 AR (Microcenter)
OCZTech 240GB SSD - 89.99 (Microcenter)
PNY GTX970 - 319.99 (Microcenter)
Fractal Design Define R4 - $79.99 (New Egg)
G Skill Sniper 2x8GB PC2400 - 129.99

Kids PC
G3258 - $49.99
MSI H81M-E33 - $-5.01 (This was insane, I placed the order online for 49.99. When I went to pay for it in-store there was a 44.99 instant savings and I have a $10 rebate. Completely unexpected, I'll end up making money.)
Crucial 2x4GB 1600 - $69.99
HiSense 55" LED 120hz - $399.99

The only thing I'm looking for at this point is an H440 in green. But thanks again for all the help guys. Soon as I get the cases I can start building.