EDIT: Doesn't a red right-pointing arrow mean you shouldn't make a right-hand turn until it turns green?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'll settle this, and it has been correctly answered above. You can turn right on a red arrow. Its treated like any other red-single unless local signs say otherwise.

<---Cop in Illinois, and has several of these arrows in town.

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004
I wonder if this also applies to the state of Washington...

There's this right turn arrow, where turning right would get you into a freeway ramp... But if the light is red people usually turn into it anyways... Hmm. There's also no "No Right Turn on Red" sign either.

Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: FallenHero
I'll settle this, and it has been correctly answered above. You can turn right on a red arrow. Its treated like any other red-single unless local signs say otherwise.

So that state of Illinois spends taxpayers money on special turing signals that mean absolutely nothing?

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Random Variable
Originally posted by: FallenHero

So that state of Illinois spends taxpayers money on special turing signals that mean absolutely nothing?

Well, when the rest of the intersection is red and that arrow is green, it means you have the right-of-way to make that turn. Its not useless, just more specific.

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
I've always been curious about that, too. At this intersection in the Tampa Bay area, there is a right turning lane with a red arrow that changes from green to red. However, there is also an additional electronic sign next to the traffic light that is completely independent from the arrow. The arrow could be red and the electronic sign could be off. I interpret this as making a right turn with caution. At other instances, the arrow could be red and the electronic sign displays a message telling drivers that no right turn on red is allowed. For this, I wait for the light to turn green.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Garth
I always thought that the arrowed lights indicated that a turn from that lane in the direction of the arrow is all that is permitted from that lane. For example, a red right arrow doesn't necessarily mean that you cannot stop and then turn on the red when the target lane is clear, but it does mean that ONLY a right turn is permitted, and under no circumstances is travel permitted straight through the intersection.

That's the understanding I always have. The arrow controls the permitted travel in that lane. (ie. you must turn, AND the lane gets it's own signal with an independant cycle from the rest of the traffic on that road.)

So...if there are 4 lanes of traffic, you might have a left turn lane only, two lanes for continuing straight and a right turn lane. The left turn lane and the right turn lanes would be controlled by the traffic light for that lane regardless of what the other signals show. (therefore the turn lanes could be red while the traffic continuing straight has green, or vice-versa)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
not sure of the answer for the op's question but i get pissed off when i'm at a stop light in the right lane to turn right and there is a no right turn on red sign and people behind me are honking or yelling.

most people just seem to go through them anyway.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I would assume it's no turn on red since that is the only time I see them (when coupled with a no turn on red sign). It never occurred to me that without the "no turn on red" sign accompanying them, it would be permissible. I can see why, though.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
There's one I deal with several times a month near me.

West bound traffic stops and all lanes have a red. The dedicated right turn lane has a solid red arrow.

The reason is that the East bound traffic in the left turn lane has a green arrow. After that goes red, the right turn lane West bound gets a green arrow.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Qacer
I've always been curious about that, too. At this intersection in the Tampa Bay area, there is a right turning lane with a red arrow that changes from green to red. However, there is also an additional electronic sign next to the traffic light that is completely independent from the arrow. The arrow could be red and the electronic sign could be off. I interpret this as making a right turn with caution. At other instances, the arrow could be red and the electronic sign displays a message telling drivers that no right turn on red is allowed. For this, I wait for the light to turn green.

lol, i mentioned that above. Are you talking about Fruitville / I-75 or somewhere else in the area?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: I Saw OJ
Originally posted by: Xylitol
In California, you can turn red if it's a red light as long as its open. Be considerate and
move out of that lane if you're not gonna turn. I hate people like that :)

You can turn right on a solid red light if its clear, but a red arrow light you must wait till it turns green.

Depends on state and possibly city.

Most places a red arrow is equivalent to a red light..you can turn right after coming to a complete stop.

I posted the laws above and anyone should be able to type into google (many here seem so good at it on things unrelated to their real lives) and a simple 'illinois red light traffic law' should be good enough to get you to many sites showing the law's verbiage.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
It means do whatever you want. Stop taking traffic laws so literally. I always right turn on red when it's safe to do so.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
It means do whatever you want. Stop taking traffic laws so literally. I always right turn on red when it's safe to do so.

Yeah... because doing whatever you want is the way to go. Screw stopping at those red lights, if it's safe to go, I should be allowed to drive right on through without stopping.

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004
http://seattletimes.nwsource.c...3686658_bumper30m.html

So, a right turn on red is allowed from a lane with a red arrow signal in Bellevue and statewide as long as the right on red is not specifically prohibited by a sign, he said.

But he cautions: Motorists should keep in mind that before making a right turn on red, they must come to a full stop, then yield to traffic and pedestrians, before making the turn.

Legal in Washington...

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Yeah... because doing whatever you want is the way to go.
Glad you agree.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Ricemarine
http://seattletimes.nwsource.c...3686658_bumper30m.html

So, a right turn on red is allowed from a lane with a red arrow signal in Bellevue and statewide as long as the right on red is not specifically prohibited by a sign, he said.

But he cautions: Motorists should keep in mind that before making a right turn on red, they must come to a full stop, then yield to traffic and pedestrians, before making the turn.
Legal in Washington...
Then why even have a light?