EdgeRouter X config related to IPv6

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I've had it in place for a month or so. I skipped the IPv6 options when I ran the basic setup wizard on the initial setup. I revisited it this evening after running across the Guide below.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002531728-EdgeRouter-Beginners-Guide-to-EdgeRouter

My research isn't helping me to choose the Prefix Length for IPv6. I don't necessarily need an explanation if someone can just tell me what I should set it to but knowledge is a good thing so you can elaborate all you want just please finish up with a number. As you can see there are four choices.

I am also glad I revisited the wizard because I may need to put in an ID for a VLAN when fiber is installed here in mid December. Hopefully the installer is going to be able to tell me whether I need to enable this and what the ID will be if I need to.

2uq137r.png

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I have only seen /64 used.

also, your ISP decides what they want to use, you may have to ask them if 64 doesnt work.

a simple explanation is that itsDHCP config on the WAN side, similar to IPv4...but youre picking the subnet mask.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Thanks for the information. Because I'm an old dog who has tired of learning new tricks and also because an ISP change is coming next month, I might just leave it as-is for now.

Researching what Comcast desires is confusing me more and they're going bye-bye in less than a month so sleeping dogs are going to stay sleeping.