Edge Browser: Temporary DNS Error

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Windows 10

Web pages randomly will not load. After a timeout period the following is seen after clicking on 'Details'.

Details
There was a temporary DNS error. Try refreshing the page.

Error Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND

I am not alone with this issue. I have found a slew of sites touting fixes. Most have five or six steps to go through any one of which they claim will fix the issue. None of them have worked for me. The steps or the sites. An example of one of these sites is below. They all are giving the same basic information just with different twists. I link to the site below to show any of you interested the steps I have taken. Edit: I did not perform their reg fix. I'm not squeamish about the registry, just sites that I don't know anything about giving registry advice. I also did not partake of the Reimage Plus Software for pretty much the same reasons.

https://appuals.com/fix-inet_e_resource_not_found-windows-10/

I like Edge and would prefer to use it. Anybody have any suggestions? I guess I should add that FF and Chrome both work flawlessly.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Going to the Properties of the network adapter you use and Unchecking the Internet Protocol Version 6 option seems to be fixing this issue for many. I did not see it listed in the link you provided. Let me know if this helps.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Going to the Properties of the network adapter you use and Unchecking the Internet Protocol Version 6 option seems to be fixing this issue for many. I did not see it listed in the link you provided. Let me know if this helps.
Thanks but I had tried that. I only gave one of many links I've explored to make the post easier to digest.

I have not run the system file checker. What do you think? I've thought about trying a repair install. What do you think? I've also seen a suggestion of creating a new account temporarily to see if that results in correct operation. Thoughts? I'm thinking that would point to corruption in my profile but if so, I'm not sure what the next step would be.

I should add that I bit the bullet and did the regfix this AM with no joy.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I know I have run into issues with it on some sites for other's machines and just revert to another browser. I honestly don't think it's an OS problem. I think it's an immature web browser problem. I spent a few minutes "Googling" your issue last night, and other than the IPV6 idea (which has been a "fix" for quite a number of issues here and there) all these other "fixes" are in the "fix all" bag of things to try - they may help, but most likely won't make any difference.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I know I have run into issues with it on some sites for other's machines and just revert to another browser. I honestly don't think it's an OS problem. I think it's an immature web browser problem. I spent a few minutes "Googling" your issue last night, and other than the IPV6 idea (which has been a "fix" for quite a number of issues here and there) all these other "fixes" are in the "fix all" bag of things to try - they may help, but most likely won't make any difference.
When Edge first came out I would have agreed with you. It was truly a piece of crap and I tried it for about five minutes and then used IE11 and eventually FF. But as updates came out I tried Edge again and found that it was working very well for me. That was on my previous laptop.

This problem is on a new laptop purchased late December. On new laptop Edge won't load the same web sites I was going to on the old laptop. Both running W10 and both on the same version. I switched back to FF. It was making the new machine sound like a hovercraft with the fan running at max while sucking resources like there was no tomorrow. I switched to Chrome and the fan behaves itself for the most part.

Anyway, thanks for the interest. I'll figure it out. Was thinking of moving to an SSD and I'll do a fresh install if I do. I can see what happens then.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I have a similar problem that started recently, where Edge will simply stall on loading pages, any pages, for anywhere between 30s-2m and then the page will immediately snap in. After that, it's fine. Funny thing is, it'll work for the first minute or so after launching the browser after a cold boot or reboot.

I've tried everything I can but I've decided to just wait for it to do whatever it's doing and then it's fine. FF and Chrome as well as other internet connected programs work fine (for example, I can after a reboot launch Netflix and start streaming, then launch Edge, load a page and read it, then click a link and Edge and only Edge will stall... I can copy the link, launch Chrome and it'll load the page fine).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Does anyone know how to export bookmarks from Edge? I had a potential client ask me that, and I had to tell them that I didn't really know. There's apparently a way to backup the bookmarks "to the cloud" with an MS Account, but that's not what I'm looking for. It seems strange that it could import bookmarks, but not export them, but then again, this is MS we're talking about, the leading company for proprietary data-lock-in.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Does anyone know how to export bookmarks from Edge? I had a potential client ask me that, and I had to tell them that I didn't really know. There's apparently a way to backup the bookmarks "to the cloud" with an MS Account, but that's not what I'm looking for. It seems strange that it could import bookmarks, but not export them, but then again, this is MS we're talking about, the leading company for proprietary data-lock-in.
It is under the import tab (yeah I know). You can export them as an html file there.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I hate edge and its bookmark system is stupid slow for me on a clean 1803 install. Often times it hesitates when I try to access it freezing for several seconds before allowing me to browse it.