ECU, ECM and Digital Speedometers repaired...

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I wanted to pass along this information to my AnandTech "Family"...
Several months ago I had my Dodge Colt's "ECM" replaced. I had a USED one installed @ $350, just for the part! Well, the car started acting up, so I got to "searchin'".
I found this mechanic that repaired my ECM for $160 (which included return shipping). I installed the ECM today. I'm temped to take this info over to the "Hot Deals" forum, but I won't. My car runs great now! And all for $18.50 to ship him the part, $160 to get the part repaired and about 20 minutes of my time.
He repairs ECUs, ECMs and Digital speedos, maybe more, I don't know.

Save-O-Bunch Link

Wangel

Banned
Mar 30, 2000
Seriously though, yes you have many options when an ECM goes bad.

1) Go to dealer - replace ECM with new - pay big money
2) Get the ECM repaired, not many shops repair ECM's, likewise there would be a period of time you would be without your car, since the vehicle is not able to be driven without an ECM.
3) My favorite is to purchase a used ECM from a junk yard. Going rate at a junk yard is 25% of new. So if new was $160, then used is $40. In getting a used ECM, the newer the vehicle, the more the ECM must match exactly the type of car. Things that should match are: Engine size, tire size, transmission, and engine options such as (Power steering, A/C, etc.)

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
A "Used" ECM for my car was $350. That's why I am so happy about getting mine "Repaired" for just $160. The $350 "Used" unit that I had installed only lasted a couple of months before it started acting up. The "Repaired" unit also comes with a 2 year warranty. That sure is better than the "Used" 90 day warranty.