ECS K7S5A issues....

LoganB

Aug 27, 2001
I might break down and get one of these rather than the Abit KG7, they're so damn cheap. I have a few questions though. Are there truly problems like I've read with this board running 1.4 Athlon's? I read that the board doesn't put out enough voltage to the chip (i yhink that was it). Also, how big of a deal is the inclusion of only 3-pin connectors? Is this issue side-steppable even if you have a case which has a 4-pin fan and 4-pin LED hookup?

Thanks for the help.

igowerf

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
I have a 1.4 running just fine. I can even overclock it to 1500 using CPUCool but it's not stable (I'll have to use the L7 bridges to change the voltage). I'm not sure what you mean about the 3-pin connectors. 4-pin fans are ones that connect to your power supply so those have nothing to do with your motherboard. The motherboard itself has 2 x 3-pin connectors I think. I set everything up without problems although I had to move a wire on the power LED connector to fit the motherboard.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I've got a K7S5A running my 1.4ghz @ 1.6ghz with a 150mhz FSB and 256mb of Crucial. Easy to setup and I just removed the pins for my power LED connection from the plastic holder and put them on the pins like that. I have two 8K7A+ systems and the ECS is in my main system...:) See my sig for more details...:)

LoganB

Aug 27, 2001
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

I apologize about my lack of knowledge about the whole "connector" thing, I'm new to the building scene. :)

One other concern...

This is probably a dumb question, but can you disable the on-board sound in favor of whatever sound card you want to throw in? How do you do this?

Thanks again.

igowerf

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Yeah, you can disable the onboard sound in the BIOS. Just look through the options (I think it's under Features or something like that).

Newbie huh? Well, we all learn from somewhere.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Yup...onboard sound is easily disabled...I'm using a Philips Acoustic Edge with mine..:)