Economic Stimulus Package?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: PingSpike
I don't get why people want to live in extremely high cost of living areas so bad, but I recognize it as a personal decision. Hell, if I didn't have family in Vermont I'd probably move to North Dakota or something.

Well, I was walking around in shorts in December :D ... Plus my earning potential is much higher being in a high cost of living area. Yes, I do pay more for housing/etc but I also earn more which has a huge benefit when you consider the time-value of money.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Lothar
I don't get why people want to live in extremely high cost of living areas so bad, but I recognize it as a personal decision. Hell, if I didn't have family in Vermont I'd probably move to North Dakota or something.

I have family in Baltimore Co., Maryland.
If I didn't care about my family or have any family like some of my foreign friends, I'd be moving to Delaware in the next 3 months.

I am in the process of accepting a job offer with a company knowing fully that I'd be making $3k/yr less than working in Delaware for the same exact company doing the same job.

Lets also not forget the tax advantages of living in Delaware vs living in Maryland.

The driving time between Eastern Balto. Co and Newark, DE is about 45 mins. To put it in perspective, Exit 109 is the last exit in MD and Exit 67 is the White Marsh exit--42 miles from White Marsh to the DE line. Why can't you move to DE and just drive back to Baltimore to visit? It isn't much longer than if you lived on the West Side of Baltimore and drove to the East Side. :confused:

Delaware doesn't have a state sales tax, but they do have property taxes and income taxes, so it isn't as "tax free" as people think.

<----------- Grew up in Baltimore, used to live in Newark, DE and currently lives in PA.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: smack Down

Yes we need some welfare for those only making 3 times the median. Oh but you paid 40K in rent so after that your are still over 2times the median income.

We don't need a "tax rebate" at all. I wouldn't mind if my taxes were going to pay down the debt. However, when it goes to assclowns so they could buy a new LCD tv or keep consumerist policies going, especially when they pay no taxes anyway, that pisses me off.

I also pay over 1k per month on my and my wife's student loans.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: altonb1
what I have yet to find is whether there is a cap on the additional child credit. My wife and I get $1200--I got it. But if I had 10 kids, would that be another $3000 or would it max out after a certain number of kids.

A married couple with no kids and adjusted gross income for 2007 of $140,000 typically would get $1,200. A married couple with the same income, with two kids under 17, would get $1,800. A married couple with the same income, with 10 kids, would get $4,200

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120286096062963791.html

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: smack Down

Yes we need some welfare for those only making 3 times the median. Oh but you paid 40K in rent so after that your are still over 2times the median income.

We don't need a "tax rebate" at all. I wouldn't mind if my taxes were going to pay down the debt. However, when it goes to assclowns so they could buy a new LCD tv or keep consumerist policies going, especially when they pay no taxes anyway, that pisses me off.

I also pay over 1k per month on my and my wife's student loans.

LegendKiller - you know money. And you are rightfully ticked off as I am. But you can't deny that this is nothing more than redistribution. We're getting screwed. The sad part is as you can see people are all too happy to see how they are going to spend it on consumerism.

Kudos for people being so stupid. Kudos for gubment to take advantage of the people that are just that stupid.

Social Darwinism FTW

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: spidey07
If you make enough money you actually don't get anything. That is what is so wrong with this. It's nothing more the wealth redistribution - robbing the rich to give to the poor.

The biggest part is the tax cuts for business, that's the real stimulus.

This is the complete opposite of the truth. Here's how it works:

Under the legislation, most people who pay federal income taxes will get up to $600 for individuals, or as much as $1,200 for married couples, with an additional $300 per child. But many upper-income Americans will get nothing because of income limits. The amounts begin to phase out for incomes above $75,000 for individuals and $150,000 for married couples who file jointly. Many low-income Americans who pay little or no federal income tax will get something, too. To get a payment this year, you have to file a tax return for 2007. Congress also approved business-tax breaks, including one especially designed for small businesses.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120286096062963791.html

That's what I'm talking about. If you make decent money you get shafted. The people that pay most all of the taxes anyway get shafted. Folks that pay little or no taxes get some money. That's wealth redistribution and it's flat out wrong.

I don't think I agree with you. Congress doesn't want to give anymore tax breaks to the rich, they want to give them to the middle class and the poor. Anyone that is considered middle class or poor that filed a tax return can get a check. It's more of a retroactive tax break than redistribution.

My wife and I break that threshold pretty easily and we are far from "rich". The ideas of "rich" are grossly out of whack in this country. People who make 150k in Manhattan aren't ""rich" by any measure.

People in Manhattan are living in a premiuim location. That's like saying "Those who make $150k in Beverly Hills aren't rich". By rich, then mean signifigantly higher than the average income in the US.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

People in Manhattan are living in a premiuim location. That's like saying "Those who make $150k in Beverly Hills aren't rich". By rich, then mean signifigantly higher than the average income in the US.

ROFL, a "premium location"??? Are you fricking kidding me? Even a sh!thole in spanish harlem costs a lot and that's far from "premium". I live in a 1br apartment with less than 700sqft and pay over 40k for it. I live in a new building but it's far from luxury and I still have a 25min commute.

Even if you go 1hr outside the city you're still paying very high costs. It's only "premium" because very wealthy people drive the costs up.

As far as 150k in BH not being rich. If you figure that BH costs far more than any "normal" place, if you figure on a 75% cost of living adjustment, then you're only making 37.5k equiv.

Here, if you make 250k, I believe it's about 100% higher than Orlando. That means you make equiv to 125k in Orlando. Sure, that's a decent amount of money, but far from "rich". Especially when you get taxed at high rates and then the gubment goes to china to borrow more to "rebate" taxes.

Spidey. I fully agree that this further mortgaging of America's future is a redistribution of wealth. It's a joke and only intended to keep people fat and stupid to the reality that we are using our nation's credit card to keep our economy going.

Only a fricking moron would think otherwise.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

If this job didn't lead to such long-term benefits I wouldn't be here. Same with most people here.

Ok...I guess I don't see why you're complaining then? While you may not be "rich" you are on a path so that you will be right?

For the record, I of course will be receiving this rebate. Seems like a fairly dumb idea...but hey, no one asked me and I'm not going to throw the money away! I have bills that I'd like to get rid of as well.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: altonb1
Originally posted by: Lothar

I have family in Baltimore Co., Maryland.
If I didn't care about my family or have any family like some of my foreign friends, I'd be moving to Delaware in the next 3 months.

I am in the process of accepting a job offer with a company knowing fully that I'd be making $3k/yr less than working in Delaware for the same exact company doing the same job.

Lets also not forget the tax advantages of living in Delaware vs living in Maryland.

The driving time between Eastern Balto. Co and Newark, DE is about 45 mins. To put it in perspective, Exit 109 is the last exit in MD and Exit 67 is the White Marsh exit--42 miles from White Marsh to the DE line. Why can't you move to DE and just drive back to Baltimore to visit? It isn't much longer than if you lived on the West Side of Baltimore and drove to the East Side. :confused:

Delaware doesn't have a state sales tax, but they do have property taxes and income taxes, so it isn't as "tax free" as people think.

<----------- Grew up in Baltimore, used to live in Newark, DE and currently lives in PA.

I live on the west side in the Owings Mills area.
I'm pretty sure the driving distance will almost be a 2hr one-way trip.

I want to be readily accessible to my mother and other family members, not have to drive 2 hours to see them and then realize I have to drive another 2 hours to get ready for work the next day.

Also If I go to Delaware, I'd have to get an apartment or buy a house.
If I stay with mom, I get to sleep in the same room I have now and won't be dumping money into the trash by paying rent. I can even continue to live there until I decide to get married if I want.

The fact remains that Delaware has one of the lowest tax burden of any state.
You can't argue with the facts. ;)
http://money.cnn.com/pf/featur...est/sort2.exclude.html
Compared to most states, yes I'd say Delaware is almost "tax free".