Economic Stimulus Package?

Dec 26, 2007
So I got into a talk with a coworker about the package, and we started sending emails with links back and forth as to if its an advance on the 2008 tax return or not. So which is it a $600 advance on my return next year, or a check that will just be added to our income for 2008 (but not affect our return other then adding that amount to our 2008 income)?

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Capitalizt
No..it's not an advance. It is a rebate/refund of taxes paid in 2007.

Happen to have a link? We have a chain email going around so nobody believed me when I said that.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The IRS web site does not indicate taht this is an advance.

Because it is based on the filing status for your 2007 taxes, consider it to be an additional credit for the 2007 tax year.

Congress could change the rules to have it assigned to the 2008 income, but unlikely.
However, politicians are well known to not do the proper thing for the coutnry.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Right now its not a advance but of course it kinda is in the sense it has to be paind back 2 fold by the time the defiect goes up and we have to pay in the future.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus
So I got into a talk with a coworker about the package, and we started sending emails with links back and forth as to if its an advance on the 2008 tax return or not. So which is it a $600 advance on my return next year, or a check that will just be added to our income for 2008 (but not affect our return other then adding that amount to our 2008 income)?

It's neither. It's a rebate for your 2007 return, not an advance on next year. It will not be taxed as income for 2008.

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?...4e00-beed-656cf52c3e50
http://www.lakesunleader.com/a...2008/02/22/news/04.txt

From the IRS:

"Q. Is my stimulus payment taxable?

A. No. You will not owe tax on your payment when you file your 2008 federal income tax return. But you should keep a copy of the IRS letter you receive later this year listing the amount of your payment. You will need to know this amount next year when you fill out your 2008 return.

Q. Will the payment I receive in 2008 reduce my 2008 refund or increase the amount I owe for 2008?

A. No, the stimulus payment will not reduce or increase your refund when you file your 2008 return."

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: allisolm
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus

It's neither. It's a rebate for your 2007 return, not an advance on next year. It will not be taxed as income for 2008.

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?...4e00-beed-656cf52c3e50
http://www.lakesunleader.com/a...2008/02/22/news/04.txt

From the IRS:

"Q. Is my stimulus payment taxable?

A. No. You will not owe tax on your payment when you file your 2008 federal income tax return. But you should keep a copy of the IRS letter you receive later this year listing the amount of your payment. You will need to know this amount next year when you fill out your 2008 return.

Q. Will the payment I receive in 2008 reduce my 2008 refund or increase the amount I owe for 2008?

A. No, the stimulus payment will not reduce or increase your refund when you file your 2008 return."

Thanks for the IRS link, I didn't even think about looking there :)

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Right now its not a advance but of course it kinda is in the sense it has to be paind back 2 fold by the time the defiect goes up and we have to pay in the future.

Thats my kids problem. We just need to hold the line until I'm dead.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
No, it's an additional bonus check funded by China, Japan, Social Security, and anybody else who buys our government debt. Enjoy your $600, because you're going to be paying interest on it for 30 years and screwing over future generations.

Perhaps I am bitter because my wife and I paid more in taxes than most people make in this country this year. We aren't even close to "wealthy" when you consider we have massive student loans and pay a crap-ton in rent due to living in NYC. But that's OK, the government doesn't consider COL adjustments when calculating income tax, so even though what I make here is equiv to half as much anywhere else, I get uber-screwed by taxes.

Enjoy it though, honestly, while you're at it send a thank you note to China and Japan.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: PingSpike

Great mentality.

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
No, it's an additional bonus check funded by China, Japan, Social Security, and anybody else who buys our government debt. Enjoy your $600, because you're going to be paying interest on it for 30 years and screwing over future generations.

But that is the joy of the American way. "I want it now so I will just put it on credit and deal with it later". Its too bad our government spends the same way....

I will be paying it back if I enjoy the refund or not, so might as well enjoy it/put it in savings to earn $ for me.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Capitalizt
No..it's not an advance. It is a rebate/refund of taxes paid in 2007.

It is neither. It is a redistribution of wealth, plain and simple.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005

Perhaps I am bitter because my wife and I paid more in taxes than most people make in this country this year. We aren't even close to "wealthy" when you consider we have massive student loans and pay a crap-ton in rent due to living in NYC. But that's OK, the government doesn't consider COL adjustments when calculating income tax, so even though what I make here is equiv to half as much anywhere else, I get uber-screwed by taxes.

Enjoy it though, honestly, while you're at it send a thank you note to China and Japan.

3/10 since you actually are wealthy by 95% of the World's standards but you are still complaining. Good effort though.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: PingSpike

Great mentality.

I was being facetious. If I really thought that I would at least have the good graces to lie about it.

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006

So just how much did you pay?

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
what I have yet to find is whether there is a cap on the additional child credit. My wife and I get $1200--I got it. But if I had 10 kids, would that be another $3000 or would it max out after a certain number of kids.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: thepd7

3/10 since you actually are wealthy by 95% of the World's standards but you are still complaining. Good effort though.

Ironically, I still have a negative net wealth (will change in 7 days). That's sad.

Sure, I make a lot, but then I also pay 40k in rent.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
It's a tax rebate. Look up the definition of a rebate vs. an advance. They can't give you an advance from next year's taxes because you don't know what they're going to be---that would never be done.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Am I the only one who read the title as "Erotic Stimulus Plan"? I was hoping for boobies in this thread, damn it! :confused:

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com

Ironically, I still have a negative net wealth (will change in 7 days). That's sad.

go BUY a house, my god. 40k in rent........id be shooting myself for wasting that much on rent.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: ViviTheMage

go BUY a house, my god. 40k in rent........id be shooting myself for wasting that much on rent.

His profile says NYcity. So 40k would not buy/pay much of any "house" in NYcity. ;)

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Yeah, id rather commute an hour or so into NYC instead of renting at 40k a year...just my opinion though :)

lol, commuting an hour doesn't get you much either.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
Yeah, id rather commute an hour or so into NYC instead of renting at 40k a year...just my opinion though :)

lol, commuting an hour doesn't get you much either.

Well shit, move outta NYC if he cant take the heat ^_^.

I thought they had something on the taxes for renters?