Ebay: What foriegn countries do you ship too?

RedBeard

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
I am a pretty active eBay seller and I get a lot of interest from foreign buyers. I usually refuse requests but I have shipped items out to Canada, England, and Australia. (tends to equal extra paper work)

What countries do you feel comfortable shipping to? (Nigerian jokes aside) Or should I adopt isolationist policies?

Payments accepted via paypal, shipped via the US postal service.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Who pays for import taxes and tariffs when you ship, RedBeard?

That's one thing I would consider.

RedBeard

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Regs
Who pays for import taxes and tariffs when you ship, RedBeard?

That's one thing I would consider.

The buyer would pay fees if I agreed.

Wow, looks like I should stick with the US.

keeleysam

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2005
I ship mostly internationally.

For what I sell (computer processors and RAM), allowing international bidders really drives up prices. From a little study I did last year, I found that allowing everyone with a PayPal account to bid, final bids were about 52% higher on CPUs.

Feb 19, 2001
Canada once. I do US only now. However I still get emails from time to time about CA shipments. I believe I allowed one guy who paid a little extra. He told me to recalculate the rate to CA and account for customs and what not and he would pay that fee. But typically I try to do US only.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: RedBeard
I am a pretty active eBay seller and I get a lot of interest from foreign buyers. I usually refuse requests but I have shipped items out to Canada, England, and Australia. (tends to equal extra paper work)

What countries do you feel comfortable shipping to? (Nigerian jokes aside) Or should I adopt isolationist policies?

Payments accepted via paypal, shipped via the US postal service.

Just Ohio

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: keeleysam

For what I sell (computer processors and RAM), allowing international bidders really drives up prices. From a little study I did last year, I found that allowing everyone with a PayPal account to bid, final bids were about 52% higher on CPUs.

And probably 52% more hassle.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: nick1985
Originally posted by: keeleysam

And probably 52% more hassle.

Hassle-wise it's not much more than filling out one extra form that has your address, the address that it is being shipped to, contents (can be pretty general, personal effects covers a lot of stuff) and approximate value. I made it clear that they were responsible for any other fee or paperwork that popped up. It can depend on the item and it's value but it's funny that some people think you need to file all these different kinds of paperwork.

When I used to sell on eBay I would ship anywhere as long as they paid, depending on how I was feeling about the bidder I would take Paypal, international money orders (with a waiting period, up to a couple of weeks) or Western Union (as a seller, it's the most secure way to get payment). I've shipped to the UK, Russia, and had a good repeat customer from Saudi Arabia.