Ebay Selling

ThunderGirl

Aug 17, 2001
I have seen many threads here on ebay. Hope this is an ok forum to ask my questions.

I am setting up an ebay seller account. It has an option to pay $5 to be verified is this something I want to do?

Any tips on selling?

Why does it keep asking me for my cc number and bank info everytime I sign in?

Thanks for the help.

edit:spelling

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
They want some way to charge you their ebay fees. I would not personally pay $5 to be verified.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: amdskip
I'm guessing it's some simple way for ebay to scam more money out of you.

you need to be verified to do dutch(i think) auctions and also Buy It Now. It's another way to extort your cash, basically.

ThunderGirl

Aug 17, 2001
Originally posted by: diskop
What's that verification do/prove?

My understanding was it help prove you are you and then you get an icon showing you are verified on your auctions.

I have never done this before and am a bit confused.

I have only even bid a few times before.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
ThunderGirl, I suggest that you dont jump in headfirst. After a year and a half, I have had almost everything imagineable done to me.

Including getting ripped off. Getting e-mails solicting me to getting ripped off. Ebay ripping me off. Oh, did i mention you can get ripped off via paypal?

The $5 give you ID verified status. All it does is allow you to sell more than one item at a time. Odd, because a potential buyer can bid up to $14,000 without verification, but if you want to sell $4 in tupperware you have to input your life story. Its a goddamn double standard.

All that bids are legally binding crap you hear is exactly that. Crap. The only way ebay is ever going to represent your interests in a legal dispute is by an act of congress. And I dont hear palms getting greased, so its not happening anytime soon.

Paypal. Billpoint. AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE. I dont care what anybody has to say about them. Avoid them. As a seller, you are subject to much much more risk than a buyer transaction wise. That and Paypal has a security hole the size of Uzbekistan in their system.

Hope this helps.

-PAB

Zuph

Apr 15, 2001
Jesus andy, did ebay do something to your mother or something? I've been on ebay for a while, and have had no problems selling stuff. True, while paypal does offer a way for buyers to rip off sellers, most sellers aren't out to rip you off. They don't want to cause trouble, they just want to get their stuff as fast as possible. I've yet to have a problem. I'm sorry if you have, I guess you're just unlucky. A Majority of the sellers OR buyers on ebay are just trying to get something for cheap, or sell something for some $$$.

ThunderGirl

Aug 17, 2001
guess I am not to worried. We are not actually allowed to sell Tupperware on ebay. The consultants selling the new stuff can have their selling privilages revoked if TW catchs them.

Anyhow I am just selling Party Ideas/ Games/ Recipes.

I had several people who I just sent things to suggest I do this as the things they got from me were better than what they had paid for.

I am just hoping I can get a little extra cash to keep the roof over my girls heads.

Thanks for your input though PAB...why don't you like paypal? I have not had any problems with it.

As far as emails that is why I used my dumb hotmail acct. I don't want spam to my real acct.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Zuph
Jesus andy, did ebay do something to your mother or something? I've been on ebay for a while, and have had no problems selling stuff. True, while paypal does offer a way for buyers to rip off sellers, most sellers aren't out to rip you off. They don't want to cause trouble, they just want to get their stuff as fast as possible. I've yet to have a problem. I'm sorry if you have, I guess you're just unlucky. A Majority of the sellers OR buyers on ebay are just trying to get something for cheap, or sell something for some $$$.

Have you sold $10,000 worth of stuff yet? How about $100,000?

I see "$$$" that denotes massive bucks. Have you had $1200 in sales sitting in a warehouse because a 14 year old went hog wild on 4 PS2s with daddy's gold amex? Didnt think so.

Let me explain something to you sport. Wether I get ripped off or say, ThunderGirl, its not the point. The problem is that there is are holes in their operation that need to be patched up. The problem is that the end user is unfairly paying for the screwups that arent their fault.

Paypal has a hole in their policies the size of uzbekistan. I found this out inadvertently, and it opens ANY payment recipient to fraud. Thats a problem. Wether a "verified" user or not.

Sellers arent out there to buyers off. If anything the exact opposite on a per capita case basis. You buy from me, I screw you, you get an insurance payout. Unfortuneately it dosent work both ways.

Ebays problems are plenty. #1 theres double standards involved everywhere. #2 they're about to make the entire situation worse with paypal. #3 as a matter of fact, ebay PROFITS off of buyer fraud if you can believe that.

-PAB

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: ThunderGirl

Thanks for your input though PAB...why don't you like paypal? I have not had any problems with it.

As far as emails that is why I used my dumb hotmail acct. I don't want spam to my real acct.

ThunderGirl.....I never said that. Dont put words in my mouth :p.

I said that paypal has a huge security flaw, not that I didnt like them. There is a difference if you can believe that.

-PAB

ThunderGirl

Aug 17, 2001
Paypal. Billpoint. AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE. I dont care what anybody has to say about them. Avoid them.

gee can't see how someone could miss you saying you liked them in that sentence. :p

All I asked is what did you not like about them my heck.

crawford

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2002
Are you sure you can sell anything without being verified or whatever ? All I have is a regular account and I click sell and then it tells me to create a sellers account. Can we sell anything without entering your checking account info ?

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
I did the ID verify back when it was $2 or something.

You need ID verify to bid on those special high price auctions.

I went for the "service" before I listed my PS2 (during release week). There were just so many scam listings that I wanted some differentiation and a favorable price.

ThunderGirl

Aug 17, 2001
Well I did the sellers account and after the 3rd time entering my dumb stuff it finally stopped asking. LOL

Oh well we shall see how this goes. I am not out much for trying.

Thanks for all the input.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: ThunderGirl
Paypal. Billpoint. AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE. I dont care what anybody has to say about them. Avoid them.

gee can't see how someone could miss you saying you liked them in that sentence. :p

All I asked is what did you not like about them my heck.

There are a couple issued that pique my interest. One of which is when you need their 800 number, you need to go to paypal sucks.com. Thats gotta say something. Another is just their level of security. Currently, the bulk of their reg-e transactions from paypal to bank account and vice versa are unauthorized. Yes, thats right. Even if you agree to the terms of service, believe it or not every draft on your bank account according to fed banking is an unauthorized one. Now, playing the no harm no foul game may work for a while, but what a lot of people dont realize is that getting paid with bank funds is now subject to chargeback so to speak because they never had a legitimate leagal means to enact the transfer in the first place.

Originally posted by: crawford
Are you sure you can sell anything without being verified or whatever ? All I have is a regular account and I click sell and then it tells me to create a sellers account. Can we sell anything without entering your checking account info ?

You can. Just nickel and dime stuff. You cant really mass sell unless you put in your life story. Like I said before, theres a double standard because people can buy in mass quanity my just having a valid e-mail.

Originally posted by: mithrandir2001
I did the ID verify back when it was $2 or something.

You need ID verify to bid on those special high price auctions.

I went for the "service" before I listed my PS2 (during release week). There were just so many scam listings that I wanted some differentiation and a favorable price.

Depends on the item. IIRC, the cutoff is around $14000 for unverified users.

-PAB