eBay question: Item I bought is being sent to wrong address

Status
Not open for further replies.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I'm a newbie at eBay and so I'm probably partly at fault (but eBay certainly is at fault too).

I had an eBay account when I lived at an old address. With that account I bought something and had it shipped to my then GF's address (now my address). Flash forward a year and I've married her and moved in with her. To sell an item, I opened a Paypal account at the new address (and had Paypal confirm the new address). I then wanted to buy an item with the proceeds. I went to eBay and updated my eBay address to the new address. Within 1 minute, I bought an item with Buy-It-Now. However, eBay gave the seller my old address.

I know, I should have waited a few days after updating my eBay address. But I wasn't thinking. The seller says repeatedly that he'll only ship to Paypal confirmed addresses (which should be my new address since Paypal never had my old address) but refuses to ship to my new address.

Do I wait for it to be shipped and hope to convince the shipper to switch addresses? Do I cancel payment and reorder? Do I let the shipper return it as undelivered and then reorder? Or do I just chalk it up to a bit of lost cash that I'll never see again?

Last edited:

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
How far away do you live from your old residence? Any reason why you can't intercept?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
How far away do you live from your old residence? Any reason why you can't intercept?
Same town, 20 minutes away. I don't know the new residents, but I could try to find a way to contact them.

nanobreath

May 14, 2008
I ran into a similar problem recently. Ordered an item on ebay, and forgot to change my paypal confirmed address. I emailed the seller as soon as I realized it telling them to NOT ship. Sent multiple emails through ebay as well as paypal. I also put in a dispute with paypal just throw as many red flags up to prevent the seller from shipping. After several emails trying to get my point accross I got him to refund my paypal payment. I then fixed my paypal confirmed address and resent payment so that the confirmed address was my new address.

For me it had been enough time since I had moved that all my credit cards had the new address on them so it was easy to switch to the new address on paypal. If you don't have a way of confirming the new address then your only hope is to intercept the package. Any other method will get you a black mark with ebay and/or paypal.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
As long as you email him that you are canceling payment, then resend payment from confirmed address account, you should be good.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
For me it had been enough time since I had moved that all my credit cards had the new address on them so it was easy to switch to the new address on paypal. If you don't have a way of confirming the new address then your only hope is to intercept the package. Any other method will get you a black mark with ebay and/or paypal.
Thats the problem. My confirmed Paypal address IS the new address. Paypal never had my old address. I've been living at the new address for a few months and can easily verify it. But the seller is still refusing to ship to my Paypal confirmed address. I'll start putting up all the red flags and ask for a refund.

ahenkel

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2009
My problem with this as a seller who just had to pay double to reship an item is this. Take 2 minutes to verify with Paypal and Ebay that when you bid or buy an item the seller and ebay has a correct and current address.

Status
Not open for further replies.