ebay just jacked up rates

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: AgentUnknown
Lots of people sell new items. Who cares if it's your old junk. But what about people that sell new items?

what about them?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I'm now reading how this all ties in with paypal, and IT GETS WORSE.

I can't cut and paste on here but now eBay and paypal will hold your money for 21 days if ANY of the following apply to you;

1. Less than 100 feedbacks
2. Selling in specific categories that eBay deems most prone to complaints
3. Anytime eBay thinks the buyer might not be happy (at their discretion)
and some other reasons.

If this pans out, I'm done with eBay.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: aphex

I can't cut and paste on here but now eBay and paypal will hold your money for 21 days if ANY of the following apply to you;

and some other reasons.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Delta6Echo

Jun 1, 2007
Originally posted by: yamadakun
Originally posted by: Ns1
Originally posted by: yamadakun
This is total BS with the no negative feedback, this is the only way to check out the quality of seller.

I guess ebay would rather take whiny scam complaints over whiny negative feedback complaints and pocket the fees from the scams.

What?

buyers CAN leave sellers negs
sellers CAN'T leave buyers negs

so

1. buyers win since no more retal. negs
2. sellers lose since buyers can extort sellers with negs

Yep, so if this policy holds up, I am DONE leaving feedback at all.

Yah I dunno though, it's tough cuz I buy and sell on eBay, and while I haven't had to deal with retal. negs, I work for a company that does em all the time. So I DO side with the buyer.

But as a seller, WTFMATE. A couple of unwarranted negs by douchebags would be disastrous.

I stand corrected with my original post.

If they are implementing this, they need separate feedback for buying and selling then.

Is this a joke? I'm glad I haven't used in eBay in years. Don't even get me started about PP.

EDIT: http://www.paypalsucks.com

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

and some other reasons.

So get more than 100 feedback. Problem solved.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I'm glad my selling account already has a decent amount of feedback and reputation built-up.

These new rules will absolutely suck for new sellers. Which is why eBay is jacking up their fees; these new rules will reduce listings.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
i only buy on ebay. i trust amex to protect me, not paypal or ebay. selling on ebay is like swimming with sharks, you're gonna get bit.

Delta6Echo

Jun 1, 2007

and some other reasons.

Is that's true eBay/PP are even bigger morons then I thought. What they don't tell you is that they earn interest on your funds while they hold it for 21 days. Typical eBay/PP behavior.

Just wait for employees of eBay/ PP to come into this thread and tell us how great all of this is!

EDIT: Too late....

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
The feedback system is pretty much useless as it is, because no one ever leaves a negative out of fear of a retaliatory negative. This change will make their feedback system a lot more effective. Honestly, does feedback for a buyer really matter? No seller is going to refuse to sell to someone because their feedback is < 10 or < 90%. I think a better solution would have been to HIDE feedback about a transaction until both the buyer and seller have left feedback. That should eliminate retaliatory feedback.

Refusing to leave feedback at all when a user deserves positive feedback makes you an asshole.

I refused a bid from one guy because of some recent negative feedback regarding payment and (I assumed) bogus complaints about the items. I was selling a $250 item or so and didn't want any hassle.

I like your idea about hiding. There would have to be a time limit though, so even if only one person leaves feedback, it still gets listed.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: grrl
Originally posted by: mugs
The feedback system is pretty much useless as it is, because no one ever leaves a negative out of fear of a retaliatory negative. This change will make their feedback system a lot more effective. Honestly, does feedback for a buyer really matter? No seller is going to refuse to sell to someone because their feedback is < 10 or < 90%. I think a better solution would have been to HIDE feedback about a transaction until both the buyer and seller have left feedback. That should eliminate retaliatory feedback.

Refusing to leave feedback at all when a user deserves positive feedback makes you an asshole.

I refused a bid from one guy because of some recent negative feedback regarding payment and (I assumed) bogus complaints about the items. I was selling a $250 item or so and didn't want any hassle.

I like your idea about hiding. There would have to be a time limit though, so even if only one person leaves feedback, it still gets listed.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that - after the time limit for feedback is exceeded (60 days after these changes are implemented), the feedback would become visible regardless.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Delta6Echo

and some other reasons.

Is that's true eBay/PP are even bigger morons then I thought. What they don't tell you is that they earn interest on your funds while they hold it for 21 days. Typical eBay/PP behavior.

Just wait for employees of eBay/ PP to come into this thread and tell us how great all of this is!

EDIT: Too late....

Dude you can't have it both ways. If they didn't implement that policy, you would have minimal feedback sellers sell stuff, take your money and run with no recourse.

If a seller has no funds in his account and you do a chargeback, you are shit out of luck. If they make a new not-trustworthy seller keep it there for 21 days, then you have recourse. So what if they get the float. This I agree with. But then again I'm biased cuz this has no affect on me.

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000

and some other reasons.

That solves case #1, but not 2 and 3.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: goog40

and some other reasons.

re: 2 I withhold judgement until I see what categories
re: 3 eh, once again mixed feelings. as a buyer I can see where they're coming from. If something goes wrong and I want to do a chargeback, there better be money in that account. But as a seller...

/edit sorry, I misread the original post. I'm going to go over proposed changes again tonight.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
wow, somebody blew that issue way out of proportion

Safe Payments
To help ensure more buyers are protected, in some cases we'll require sellers to offer either PayPal or a merchant credit card to customers. PayPal buyer protection covers most qualified transactions up to $2000.00 USD.

Sellers will only be required to provide this safe payment option to customers in certain situations:

* For listings in riskier categories, like computers and cell phones
* If the seller has 5% or more dissatisfied customers
* If the seller has less than 100 Feedback

In a small number of cases (fewer than 5% of all payments on eBay), PayPal will hold payment funds until either the buyer has left positive Feedback or 21 days have passed without a claim.

Basically these changes are GREAT if you're a powerseller (for other reasons not listed here). If you're new (to selling) they hold you to a higher standard.

So overall good for buyers. Good for some sellers. Overall I approve. They implemented some good things here that have been asked for. But we'll see how the "buyers can only receive positive feedback" thing pans out.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
wow, somebody blew that issue way out of proportion

Safe Payments
To help ensure more buyers are protected, in some cases we'll require sellers to offer either PayPal or a merchant credit card to customers. PayPal buyer protection covers most qualified transactions up to $2000.00 USD.

Sellers will only be required to provide this safe payment option to customers in certain situations:

* For listings in riskier categories, like computers and cell phones
* If the seller has 5% or more dissatisfied customers
* If the seller has less than 100 Feedback

In a small number of cases (fewer than 5% of all payments on eBay), PayPal will hold payment funds until either the buyer has left positive Feedback or 21 days have passed without a claim.

Basically these changes are GREAT if you're a powerseller (for other reasons not listed here). If you're new (to selling) they hold you to a higher standard.

So overall good for buyers. Good for some sellers. Overall I approve. They implemented some good things here that have been asked for. But we'll see how the "buyers can only receive positive feedback" thing pans out.

Well if thats the case thats not as bad as it was presented in the other place I saw it.

The inability for sellers to post feedback about buyers is still a shit decision though.

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
As long as you can make money selling shit on eBay, there will be people selling shit on eBay. Buyers, however, always have alternatives. Sellers are expendable, buyers are not. It will continue getting worse & worse on eBay for sellers. Glad I've moved everything to Craigslist!

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
All in all, it seems like good intentions, bad implementation. Or am I being too generous?

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: goog40

and some other reasons.

Not really. With the new feedback rules your feedback only goes back 12 months. So you would have to sell 100+ items a year to get/maintain 100 feedback.