Eating in a restaurant alone...

jumpr

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2006
I eat alone at restaurants fairly frequently, but only at "quick" food places, like Panera Bread and local diners. I usually bring a book or magazine. The only time I go to anyplace nicer than that is with my girlfriend. I find it relaxing to eat alone. I don't have to worry about my manners (to an extent), and the people-watching is fantastic!

How many here eat solo at restaurants? Do you have a restaurant 'caliber' at which you no longer feel comfortable eating alone?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: jumpr
I eat alone at restaurants fairly frequently, but only at "quick" food places, like Panera bread and local diners. I usually bring a book or magazine. The only time I go to anyplace nicer than is with my girlfriend. I find it relaxing to eat alone. I don't have to worry about my manners (to an extent), and the people-watching is fantastic!

How many here eat solo at restaurants? Do you have a restaurant 'caliber' at which you no longer feel comfortable eating alone?

Depends on the situation. Business lunches plus my laptop, driving home from some place and want to grab something to eat...it's not quite the same as going to a movie alone, but it is weird depending on how nice the restaurant is. Our culture is so funny that way :p

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Panera Bread, sure. I study there. I take my laptop and books there and find a nice spot.

Fast food places all the time.

Major restaurant chains like TGI Fridays, etc. No.

Kilgor

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Sure I go alone all the time, don't find it weird at all. I like people watching or just reading.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
I used to be really wierded out by doing it, even with fast food. Now I do it at fast food places all the time and it is actually kind of nice. It sure as hell beats buying it to go and having to deal with the garbage.

As for eating out with a waitress.. still haven't passed that milestone. I suppose its the same though.

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
When I'm on business trips I will stop in and eat at nice places alone. Otherwise I'll get take out and take it home to eat in front of the TV.

boredhokie

May 7, 2005
I've been traveling a lot on business. I usually eat at a hotel bar if it isn't too creepy. Otherwise if I can't find a restaurant that's either really nice or has a bar I can sit at I'll just order room service. I don't like eating alone at your usual restaurant.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: d3n
When I'm on business trips I will stop in and eat at nice places alone. Otherwise I'll get take out and take it home to eat in front of the TV.

:thumbsup:

skywhr

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
Has anyone ever been eating alone and been approached by a stranger asking to join them for dinner?

jumpr

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: skywhr
Has anyone ever been eating alone and been approached by a stranger asking to join them for dinner?
Now that would be weird.

fireandicefuel

Dec 2, 2004
I wouldn't eat solo at a fine restaurant like Pappadeaux. I would definitely solo in a fast food though, not @ Chili's, TGIF, Bennagins, Olive Garden etc..

fireandicefuel

Dec 2, 2004
Originally posted by: jumpr
Originally posted by: skywhr
Now that would be weird.

I would feel insulted at first, but I would give them a once over for creepiness factor then if all is good I wouldn't care.

skywhr

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
A guy I know, his wife went to Cracker Barrel on the way home and there was a long wait. When her name was called there was an elderly woman who approached her and asked if it would be alright if she joined her. Being nice she agreed to share her table. The elderly woman proceeded to talk her ear off the entire meal and then when she was done she paid for her check and abruptly left..... very strange I would have told her NO.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I always make sure to super-size to make up for my lonlieness and shame! :p

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
I don't like noisy places, so I wouldn't hit any of the big name chain restaurants.

I guess I could eat out if I wanted to since I have a messed up sleep schedule tied to a normal working day (7AM-2PM ++). I'd hit the sack when I get home and stay up for the rest of the night. But mostly I order out and take it home where I can get comfy in front of the TV set.

The usual places I go most of the gals know me anyhow. I get the same treatment whether it's to go or to stay. But I'll say that when I used to work with this gal we'd go out and eat everywhere. Now it's more of a rarity I go out at all since she's no longer there. Unless I go out with my co-worker once in a while on a Friday night or saturday lunch or something.

I like the quieter family run restaurants as well, where I can just sit there quietly and enjoy my meal, without having to listen to everyone else and the noise in general.

But what it comes down to is I can really care less what strangers think of me.

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
I'll eat at fast food places/diner type restaurants alone while studying. Other than that, takeout only.

panipoori

Aug 18, 2005
I eat at dennys alone every friday. I dont like crowded restaurants so i usually dont go till 11pm. better service as well.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
I get creeped out sitting at a sit-down restaurant by myself. Fast food, np. Do it all the time.

kmrivers

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
I typically don't do it. Especially at restaurants with wait staff.

I will sit at a cafe and study by myself though.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I don't like eating alone at fancier restaurants. The hostesses usually look at you funny when you ask for a table for one, and I get bored while I'm waiting for my food.

I have no problem with fast food or buffet restaurants, though.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I eat out alone all the time when I'm on the road for business. When I'm home, I rarely go out to eat...fast food or otherwise. I always cook...