Easy to hide DSL from parents?

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Im thinking about earthlink dsl but my parents would be pissed if they found out i was paying 50 bucks a month for a "luxury". My dad would probably disown me. Is it easy to hide dsl, since my dad is clueless about computers and the internet? Ive got my own CC so the money wouldnt be a problem, unless they find my bill and inquire as to why I have a $50 recurring charge every month. My dads paying 21.95 a month for earthlink dial up anyway, so i dont see a reason not to upgrade to dsl and pay for myself.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
Hmmmm our son has been playing on-line games all night and surfing Pron....but his phone has also been ringing, how can this be?

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
if you get your own earthlink account, maybe. But won't they see the bills coming in? I mean from the way you speak it sounds like you live in your parents house.

btw, some isps put the charge on your phone bill instead of billing you separately. Some let you decide on which you'd prefer.

Rendus

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2000
Well, at least in Vegas, Earthlink uses an external adapter that plugs into it's own phone jack. Most installs require filters on the voice line as the DSL is line-shared here (meaning it goes over the voice line). My install was actually filtered outside, though, so it's hard to say for sure what they'll do, and it's up to the installer to decide.

My connection here used PPPoE, and the software of choice was WinPoET, a true piece of trash. But basically, the connection emulates a dialup, and if you played the right tricks, you could make it seem like it was dialing up if you need to do that.

amdforlife

Banned
Apr 2, 2001
you need filters on all the other phone lines, so your pops will be a lil suspisious about that. if you're old enough for your own CC...you're old enough to tell your pops to fsck off.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000

<< if you're old enough for your own CC...you're old enough to tell your pops to fsck off. >>

I still have a nasty scar from when I thought that.

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Heh. Just wait until your dad goes, woah, look at these great surfing speeds I'm getting.
-- mrcodedude

Wah

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
yeah tell him its a free trial... once he goes broadband, there's no turning back.

SpongeBob

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2001
you need filters on all the other phone lines, so your pops will be a lil suspisious about that. if you're old enough for your own CC...you're old enough to tell your pops to fsck off.

No kidding, I mean if it's your money I don't see what the problem is. When I was 18 I decided to get myself cable internet, at first my dad was like &quot;that's ridiculous.&quot; Now he pays for half and we both use it.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
It's possible to hide DSL from your parents assuming you can get the billing switched to your name, hide the DSL router (if it's external), explain the FASTER speeds and why the phone rings while you're online. I say for the faster speeds it's worth it, it's your money do with it what you please.

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001

<< It's possible to hide DSL from your parents assuming you can get the billing switched to your name, hide the DSL router (if it's external), explain the FASTER speeds and why the phone rings while you're online. I say for the faster speeds it's worth it, it's your money do with it what you please. >>

the equipment hiding is not a problem and neither is the bills Ill get. The biggest prob now I guess would be putting filters on all the phones (like 8 phones in the house). Pops never even touches my computer so theres no broadband for him to revel in.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
If you've got a cc, you're 18, and if you're 18 and your parents would disown you for getting dsl, you need to move out and get a life. ;)

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You'll need one filter or something where the phone line comes into the house, and one where the computer is hooked up. The other phones do not need to be touched.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
Put in the filters. Probably he wouldn't even notice them if he is unfamiliar with computer stuffs. If you foot the bill, shouldn't be a problem neither. Just remember to ask earthlink to bill it separately.

Bosec

Jul 2, 2001
I think they would notice the &quot;holy cow did you see that web page load&quot;

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001

<< If you've got a cc, you're 18, and if you're 18 and your parents would disown you for getting dsl, you need to move out and get a life. ;) >>

My parnts are shall we say, frugal. They know I have a CC but dont know that my bill is like 200 a month. They dont know a THING about computers and even less about the Internet and what it does. However, he will notice filters on the phone lines and inquire about them. My dads gullible but not dumb. Just like me :D

Oct 9, 1999
yeah get a second line installed and get dsl on it(its faster to get DSL in my area that way). you dont need the filters other than the place where the DSL is being hooked up. so that way no filters will be seen anywhere else.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
it's time for daddy to take an accidental fall down the stairs, if you know what i mean...hehehe ;)

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001

<< yeah get a second line installed and get dsl on it(its faster to get DSL in my area that way). you dont need the filters other than the place where the DSL is being hooked up. so that way no filters will be seen anywhere else. >>

second line would cost too much and Father would notice it anyways on the phone bill.

HansXP

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2001
Seriously...you're 18. If your parents are still telling you how to spend your money, you need to tell them to mind their own business. Do it politely, but do it. It'll save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

Schlocemus

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2001
Lying is never good. If you can pull it off then do it, but you must think about the consequences :)

Just my 2 cents.