Easy question about hard drive orientation

crackerdaddy

Aug 25, 2000
Somehow this one has never come up for me. The industry standard calls for HDDs to function properly when installed "on edge," not just "right side up," correct? Just need verification on this.

Souka

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2000
has to be "installed on edge" no just "right side up?" Don't quite understand, but.....

For OEM's, they have to be installed right-side-up or on-edge to be covered by warranty. Upside-down, pointing the nose (opposite side of the connectors) down or up is not allowed....

From MY experience, I've seen them run in all sorts of directions and angles...no problems...well, no more than usual.

My Two Pesos....can't verify.

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
Don't really know what the industry standard is, but my standard is to have either big flat side facing up (i.e., circuit board plane parallel to ground, but it doesn't matter if it's on "top" or "bottom") or with the circuit board plane perpendicular to the ground with the "long" axis parallel to the ground.

Dan

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Generally I like to always have the circuit board plane facing down. Dust inside cases is inevitable and I figure that's the best way to cope with it. The next best choice is the drive on it's side. I've seen that plenty of times in desktop cases but I can't think of a time I've seen it done in a tower.

Ben

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ooo, this is a sore subject for me.

Some idiot where I work tried to convince the owners I didn't know what I was doing because I installed a hard drive "upside down". Ya right!

R0b0tN1k

Jun 14, 2000
Back in tha day, HDDs had to be mounted in a specific fashion. They're built to mount in any position now...my Dell case even has an upside-down HD mount, but I don't use it. I have two drives stacked cover-up and one standing on end, connectors up.